The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
crawdad

I've got a crazy problem I can't figure out

When I'm going real slow in my truck, I can feel, what seems like, a dragging brake. It is definitely related to the speed of the truck, but I can't feel it at high speed. I first noticed it when I was rolling down the driveway real slowly. It feels just like the brakes are grabbing with each turn of the wheel. So, I've put new tires on the truck, new ball joints installed, front end aligned and have had the brakes replaced front and back. and it still does the same thing! I don't know what else could cause it. Could a transmission cause this. Tranny shifts fine and I haven't noticed a problem with it. I'm at a loss and could sure use your ideas on what to look for. Thanks.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Re: I've got a crazy problem I can't figure out

When you had the brakes done, did they replace the drums and rotors?

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
trixter99
I have no time for this

If yiur truck was sitting for a while the rotors and drums probably rusted every where except where the pads and shoes were and now you can feel the clean spots every time the rotor turns. It doesnt take much time sitting for this to happen.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
crawdad

Both of the front rotors were replaced. New pads installed.
Rear drums were turned and new shoes and wheel cylinders were installed. The guy that did this has a very reputable brake service center. I would have thought he would have picked up on anything that wasn't just right. So, in reading everyone's response, you've ruled out the tranny as a potential problem and have narrowed the problem to the rotating wheel assemblies???

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
Old 11-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Could be warped rotor / drum

Jack the front of the truck up and spin the front tires. See if it still does it that will tell you a little more about it. Should be able to hear if the rotors are warped or something else is going on.

Last edited by MylilBowTie; 11-17-2007 at 08:42 PM.
MylilBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im betting warped rotors or drums but are you sure your trans is ok... my trans does this in reverse and first butis ok in 2 and 3 on the TH350
other thing is the center carrier ok ? im told that cna have an effect and noise at low speeds

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Imploded front brake line. jack the front up and rotate to se if it's noticeable then. If not drive the truck a bit and feel the heat of each side front rim. the hot one is the problem. crossy
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
89 crew

to find out if you have a brake draging take it for a drive. the harder it drags the less you will have to drive it. stop occasionally and check rotors for heat. the hottest side is the one dragging. If both are approx the same temp then most likely the brakes are not the problem. far as a cause of brakes draging. a caliper that is sticking is common. next would be a rubber hose. a piece of the inside rubber tears loose and blocks the oil from returning. I haven't run into this on 1 ton or less, but on a 7500 series topkick disk brakes if you put a pad on made out of the wrong material it will cause the brakes to drag.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
crawdad

Forgot to say he also put new brake hoses on the front. I think I'm going to take it back to the brake shop and have them (re)check for warped rotors, sticking calipers, etc. What I was mainly trying to do in asking the question was to rule out things that it "wouldn't" or "couldn't" be, and in that way I could try and focus in on the things that it might be. So (1) could it be a bad transmission? (2) bad center bearing (3)????? Thanks for your help guys.

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
Old 12-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

crawdad: You answered your own question believe it or not. You have changed everythig else, whats' left? Calipers. First lets do a little test in a parking lot. Let the truck idle in gear no brakes apply. Pull the emergency brake release handle out and start applying the emergency brake, does the vehicle pulsate as you come to a stop? This test segregates front and rear brakes. My very best guess is a front caliper hanging up and like others have said, the hot one is the bad one. Replace them both if you find 1 bad. If you change them yourself make sure you get them on the correct side. Bleeder should face straight up, LOLL. I watched a couple of friends do this swap and laughed the whole time. They had the calipers reversed and the bleeders pointed down. After they put a gallon of brake fluid through it and still had no brakes I told them what they did wrong (after I had them buy me a case of Molsons) Nearly got the crap beat out of me. Jim
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote