The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
PDW HOTRODS

58 Chevy 3 speed?

I have a 58 Chevy with a 283 and a manual 3 speed. I am trying to find out if the trany is original. It looks like it may have been a 3 on the collumn, and someone took out the collumn shifter and converted to floor shift, but the trany itself may have been shanged also. Does anyone have a pic of a 3 speed manual trany from a late 50's? I am wondering because I have the mounts on both sides of the bell housing like stock, but the back of the trany has a rear mount under it like the later cars would have. Did the original trany have this mount? There is no crossmember there to mount to.
Thanks.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 58 Chevy 3 speed?

It may be 60's to 70's trans or possibly for a car. That trans was used when that started using full aluminum bells that had no mounts. 70's trucks used that type of mount on the tail shaft. Its really the only difference other than the side cover.
If it has the two lower bolts that have to be remove from inside the bell then its a car trans from the 50's. If they nut and bolted it then its most likely a 70's truck
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

The original type trans for that had 4 bolts on the side cover. It was used up through 67.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
PDW HOTRODS

Thanks, I think it might be a late 6o's or early 70's trany. It still had a rubber mount on the tailshaft, so must be a transplant. The truck had not been put back togather all the way before I got it. The shifter was not in, and I am missing the linkage. Does anyone know where to get the linkage? It is an aftermarket 3 speed on the floor shifter. I am missing the rods and the part they mount to on the trany. Thanks.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote