The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
72chevynoob

cold start?

Is it possible to get a carbed engine to cold start easily? By cold start I mean -20*C, but it goes all the way down to -40*C here which is the same as farenheit -40.Just out of interest's sake because my dad said its not possible. My truck will probably never run in the winter except when the circulating coolant heater has warmed it up to operating temps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: cold start?

Sure it's possible. Dual or one big battery with 1000 or more cold cranking amps, zero weight oil and a carb with a manual choke. Clean connections on your cables too.
Been there, done that!!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

So the coolant heater gets it warm enough to start?That's what I would use.High output or dual batteries should help.

My only question is "Why would you ever think about getting out when it's below zero,or even consider living somewhere that cold?"
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
AirSpeed

The coldest I've started mine up in was -16, just a month ago. My trucks starts up in about three seconds. I don't know about 40 below.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Daner

-20C is no problem

-40C? That's when it's gonna need to be plugged in and everything optimized for cold weather. I would recommend a oil pan heater. The block heater will help when you have to sit out there and hold the clutch in until the engine is going good lol.

I don't think it will start without being plugged in at -40. My policy is if it's colder than -25 with wind chill I stay in bed.

A good list for things to do if you want to try it...

Battery blanket/electric warmer
gasline antifreeze(basically rubbing alcohol)
block heater
oil pan heater
Engine with good compression
Fuel injection :P
Full synthetic engine oil 0w30
electronic ignition
lighter weight oil in tranny and dif sae30?

I don't think I could live anywhere WARMER than ND lol. To each his own I guess.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevynoob View Post
Is it possible to get a carbed engine to cold start easily? By cold start I mean -20*C, but it goes all the way down to -40*C here which is the same as farenheit -40.Just out of interest's sake because my dad said its not possible. My truck will probably never run in the winter except when the circulating coolant heater has warmed it up to operating temps.
Posted via Mobile Device
-20C is only -4 fahrenheit. You should be able to EASILY start a vehicle like our trucks at -4F. Just last week I had a -18F (-27.7C) start with my truck after an evening of fishing.
Here is my winter checklist (stuff you do in October so your old car starts and runs in January and February):
1. test your antifreeze to -40 (as you so eloquently put it F and C are the same at -40).
2. 10w-30 in the crank case. I used to run 10w-40 summer, 10w-30 winter. Now I just run 10w-30 year-round.
3. I've never put anything but -20 washer fluid in my washer fluid tank but if you did cheap out and use water this summer, now is the time to get it out of there. And flush the lines to the sprayers.

Thats about it. I'm usually good to -20F. Anything below that can get dicey. Oil starts getting real thick at those temps and bad things can happen. When it gets that cold you're best off with your car plugged in to a block heater or a heater hose heater - anything to get some warmth in the engine.

PanelDeland - Yes. Coolant heaters work. Before I had a garage it was the difference between starting and not on a really cold morning.

20 years ago I worked with a guy that grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska. I asked him, how do you start a car when the temps are -40 to -50 (air temp, not wind chill - wind chill has NO effect on a car). He said we just left them running.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote