The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
67gmcss

steering wheel components

I had my steering wheel apart and now am not sure what order it all goes back in -- there's the little metal piece, the white plastic part that the three bolts go though, and the retaining cup that the horn button attaches to. I should have had my head farther out of my butt when I was taking it apart, but i didn't. any pics or info is greatly appreciated. thanks, stephen dykes
67gmcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
jef5150
Inline 69

Re: steering wheel components

ok i think this is right
flat metal piece with 3 holes/cuts
then plastic ring
spring(?)
then cup,
then other plastic piece with 3 loops
then screws

edit= The metal cup has a notch in it,it needs to line up with a tab on your horn button, if you dont the button wont go back on

youll know if im wrong cause your wife/girlfriend/neighbor will tell you to stop honking that " $#*@!&" HORN!

Jeff

Last edited by jef5150; 08-25-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: forgot about the "notch"
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: steering wheel components

Make shure the contact is in the steering wheel. The flat metal spring disc goes on with the center up & the outer edge contacting the steering wheel. The area where the disc contacts on the steering wheel & the contact brush should be clean. Make shure the holes are over the screw holes. The horn should blow when you press the center down if everything is hooked up. Now is a good time to take the wire coff the horns so as not to irritate the wife & neighbors. The cup goes on next with the slot to the top of the wheel & the holes lined up with the holes in the spring plate. Next put on the plastic piece with the holes for the screws. Put in the screws & tighten them a little at a time keeping everything centered. You should be able to hear the relay klick when you press the cup. Put a little silicone grease on the horn cap retainer & line up the guide with the slot on the cup. Give the horn cap a quick pop & it should go on. I hopev this helps . It's about the best I can explain it.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote