The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
71Sleeper

Wanting to convert to a 1ton dually rear

I have a 82 long wheel 3/4 ton single drive. I use this truck to haul 350 to 400gallons of water and want to put a 1 ton dual drive under it with a flat bed. Will this be a simple swap out of rear ends and spings? I am running a inline 6 with a 3speed w/granny trans.
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
walkerb

Re: Wanting to convert to a 1ton dually rear

I did the exact same thing with my 85. I found a dana 70 dually with matching gears to the front.

measure springs from bolt to bolt and that will help you match for the 1ton springs.

If your running the flatbed try to locate a narrow dually rear so the outside tires arent sticking out.
1986 K30 Crewcab SRW 350
R.I.P- glimmertwin01- board member and good friend, you will be missed
walkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Your41Plague12

On a 3/4 ton you'll need to move the spring hangers to the inside of the frame or cut/weld new perches on to match the width of your old 3/4 ton rear. You'll also have to mess with the shock mounts if I'm not mistaken. There's some work involved but it's by no means impossible. Lots of people have done it. Good luck, and post some pics!
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
Rubble

I just converted a 1 ton dually to a single wheel,went from dana70 to a semi float 14 bolt.you will either have to change spring hangers (like I did) or move spring perch on the axle.Shock mounts will need to be relocated too.Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
DetroitDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your41Plague12 View Post
On a 3/4 ton you'll need to move the spring hangers to the inside of the frame or cut/weld new perches on to match the width of your old 3/4 ton rear. You'll also have to mess with the shock mounts if I'm not mistaken. There's some work involved but it's by no means impossible. Lots of people have done it. Good luck, and post some pics!
I would like to see a pic. I've always heard 3/4 and 1 ton rear springs are in a different location, but I've never noticed where or why. I've owned both, numerous times. I don't remember having springs that were not outside the framerails. Even my Blazer has springs hung on the outside of the frame, as did my 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Are the frame widths different? I don't think they are, the beds bolt up in the same place...My Blazer spring perches are a good distance inside from the brake backing plate, but the spring shackles are outside the frame. My 1 ton the backing plate is almost touching the spring pack, but it's because the hubs are pulled in closer for the narrow C&C rear. But I'm certain my 1 ton leafs are outside the frame too, it's not here to look at, but I know my overloads are beneath the stoppers outside the frame...

Little confused I guess.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
walkerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDan View Post
I would like to see a pic. I've always heard 3/4 and 1 ton rear springs are in a different location, but I've never noticed where or why. I've owned both, numerous times. I don't remember having springs that were not outside the framerails. Even my Blazer has springs hung on the outside of the frame, as did my 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Are the frame widths different? I don't think they are, the beds bolt up in the same place...My Blazer spring perches are a good distance inside from the brake backing plate, but the spring shackles are outside the frame. My 1 ton the backing plate is almost touching the spring pack, but it's because the hubs are pulled in closer for the narrow C&C rear. But I'm certain my 1 ton leafs are outside the frame too, it's not here to look at, but I know my overloads are beneath the stoppers outside the frame...

Little confused I guess.
Where I think you are getting confused (or maybe I am) is the difference between the spring and shock locations on a "normal width" pickup truck dana 70 and on a narrow Dana that they used on cab&chassis trucks.
1986 K30 Crewcab SRW 350
R.I.P- glimmertwin01- board member and good friend, you will be missed
walkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Wrecked1982

my k35 was a 1 ton single wheel pick up.not a cab and chassis and the po swaped the rear axle for a dually narrow 14 bolt so did he have to change hangers?? what was done to make it fit caus im having a crabing sideway rolling problem that i posted couples days agos on an other treads. what should i look for if it was not done proprelly?
Wrecked1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
86454k30

The differences in 3/4ton and 1 ton spring side to side centers is about 2". This is achieved in narrower spring hangars. This is why 1 ton have shocks inside the frame and 3/4tons have shocks outside the frame.

If you want to put a 1 ton rear axle in a 3/4 ton is move the spring pads out(toward the backing plate). The only 1 ton axle that will not fit without changing spring hangars is a cab and chassis 14 bolt. This is because the backing plate sits closer to the leaf spring and there is no room to move the spring pad.
86454k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
DetroitDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86454k30 View Post
The differences in 3/4ton and 1 ton spring side to side centers is about 2". This is achieved in narrower spring hangars. This is why 1 ton have shocks inside the frame and 3/4tons have shocks outside the frame.

If you want to put a 1 ton rear axle in a 3/4 ton is move the spring pads out(toward the backing plate). The only 1 ton axle that will not fit without changing spring hangars is a cab and chassis 14 bolt. This is because the backing plate sits closer to the leaf spring and there is no room to move the spring pad.
OK I got it now. the talk about inside or outside the frame threw me for a minute. I looked at my Blazer, it has spring hangers that stick out real far so the shocks can fit inside the springs but outside the frame. My K30 isnt here to look at, but I remember the shocks going on the inside of the frame, so the spring hangers must keep the springs very close to the frame. I don't know if my cab & chassis is any different than a dually, but I dont think it is. I just have zero room between my springs and backing plates, and duallys have quite a bit