The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
BigSwid79

T-case swap Opinions Needed!

My 79's Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 long box 4in lift 33's built 350/th400/np203..

The Np203 is a big old slug, it works fine makes a little chain noise once every so often but no problems yet. I don't ever run it in 4hi with locked in hubs like your suppose to, I always go 4hi lock with the hubs unlocked for a 2 wheel drive. I don't know a whole lot about the T-Case but I changed the oil in it, and I know its really heavy.

I got a np208 case I could through in the truck and it is fine, Is it worth the swap for weight loss or is it just a waste of time.

I have a feeling the Np203 is a lot longer than the 208 so I will have problems with getting driveshafts to fit right?

Well if anyone has ever done this what do you think.. Worth it or Not?

Thanks, Swid
BigSwid79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: T-case swap Opinions Needed!

You should get your answer here.

But for my opinion....first off, you are abusing the 203 by running it that way. Someone has apparently installed the lock-out hubs w/o the rest of the required modifications. The transfer case should be properly converted to part-time when lock-out hubs are installed. When driven in "LOC" as you discribe, everything is still turning, all you have done is broken the link to the front wheels. All of the wear and most of the drag is still there.

As far as your actual question: Changing for the the reason of dropping weight is not worthwhile. It's a pick-up truck, a hundred pounds or so is an un-detectable change. The cost of driveshaft modification alone would negate any minimal gain anyway. Then you would have shifter work to do too. THe NP203 has an externally mounted shifter unit that sticks up through a hole in the floor. The NP208 uses a connecting rod between a floor-mounted "console" and the transfercase's linkage....nothing would interchange.

"IF" your 203 is damaged, it may be better to do the modifications needed to install, rather than putting money into repairing it. Other than that no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 02-11-2012 at 10:08 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
78K20

Longhair is exactly right. If your going to do anything, put
the conversion kit in the 203.
What are your future plans for your truck ?
Posted via Mobile Device
78K20 350 / 400TH 3:73's, Dual Polly tanks, my old plow Trk. Now parting out.
84K20 6.2 "J" Code Diesel / 700R / 4:10's
78K20 454/400TH 3:73's Dual tanks (my new plow rig)
78K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
BigSwid79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78K20 View Post
Longhair is exactly right. If your going to do anything, put
the conversion kit in the 203.
What are your future plans for your truck ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah i will eventually do the conversion kit. I don't really want to mess with changing out the whole t-case, I was just checking options because I got a 208 that works that I could put in.

Future plans for my truck are just some cosmetic things. I just put about a year and a half into a frame up resto. Took junk body off frame, got good metal, sand blasted frame did it up good with some black rust stopper paint not POR 15 but like it. Pulled the whole drive train off the frame. Went through everything. Just finally really built the engine this December. Engine before was Edelbrock Performer EPS intake, 882 stock heads, Comp xe250 cam, and all the rest of rebuild stuff, Good reman short block--- Summit 7qt pan, Cast aluminum timing cover, Edelbrock Double roller timing chain, hooker long tube headers. Block is standard bore with stock slightly dished pistons. Low miles on bottom end 4bolt.
Now its got redone Camel Backs 461 light port work, bowl hogged, milled 62cc 2.02 1.60 ss valves. Lunati Springs, screws in, guideplates, edelbrock RPM air gap, lunati 262 cam. 650 avs thunder series offroad carb, MSD Distributor, Victor Reinz .026 head gasket, Summit 1.5 Roller rockers

So Engine is good, th400 has B&M shift kit, B&M cooler, B&M deep pan, B&M modulator, ACC performance 2400 stall. So trans is pretty much good. I really just plan on beating the truck at silver lake sand dunes, and street driving it.
BigSwid79 is offline   Reply With Quote