The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Speed Density

So lets talk tuning for Speed Density
Are you guys all running a MAF, or has anyone ditched the maf and gone straight to Speed Density tuning of the PE tables?

I don't have a MAF right now, and I will probably run a Speed Density tune since I have a large cam. Anyone have experience with this?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
mac72

Re: Speed Density

I'm running a maf but i've read some info on tuning over at ls1tech.com alot of those guys are running spd. density setups,alot of good forced induction info there too.
mac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

thats where part of the idea came from, however they are a little less accessible than the forums here.

It seems like with my big cam (and thefact that I don't own a maf right now), I might tune for SD.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Shon

I am full Speed Density, no MAF and you do not tune the PE table, you set the PE table to your desired WOT AFR and then you tune the VE tables.

I actually logged the truck this AM and I am within 2% of my commanded AFR at cruise, I was happy to see that!! now I will add some more timing to see if I can eek out more MPGs and then get the VE table back in line. Most shoot for a 3% error.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

shon, how hard was it to get running?
Im having mine setup (vats removed etc) and dyno tuned at the same time; but not sure if it would be easier to have my tuner do the sd tune right away or wait.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Shon

Since mine is stock it was easy. But if you starting with a 'huge' cam then there are some things I do to help get the thing started. but make sure your 'dyno' tuner is going to tune the non WOT stuff, WOT tuning is 'easy', its the low speed stuff that makes you love or hate your choices. I have no less than 10hrs in tuning a car, I have buddies locally that do it more than I do and they have the same amount of time too.
We take the vehicle and drive it in day to day situations and get it so it drives as close to stock as possible.
So, you need to find out what this "tuner's" process is, just turning off codes and hitting the dyno and rolling you off on your merry way...if so, I will find you a tuner, not a hack.

AND, if you do not have a MAF then you will have a SD tune right away....
Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

ya, well I mean I CAN find a MAF, but I'd rather not waste the time and $$ if I would end up tuning without it then.

The shop doing the work will likely be West Bend Dyno up here in WI. I've spoken with a couple of the guys and they have a great rep in the local scene.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Shon

IMO i would not get a MAF.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Oilbrnr

What are the pros/cons of the two?

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Shon

Just depends on what the vehicle is used for and if you have all the working parts.
If you do alot of driving in major elevation changes then a MAF would be better than SD.
If that is something you do not do then do you have room for the MAF? in my situation I did not want an elbow set up and the MAF that came with my stuff is LONG and small, not like the 'normal' truck ones that are not but 3" long and '3"' diamter. So I went to SD mode. Plus we have found that SD mode makes more power; this is due to not having any bend in the air intake tract, not as noticable in a straight design like a vette and Fbody but the benefit of removing all of that is still there.
If you do not have a MAF then that is another $100+ you have to spend and its another sensor to possibly go bad. and most of these motors come from wrecks so you dont know if all the sensors are good till you get ready to fire it up.
But everyone has an opinion and likes different things....