The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2023, 10:17 PM   #7
mr48chev

Re: Alignment thoughts for a 1956 with stock arms / Tie Rod WITH Power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Thank you! Yes, I'd look for .5 degrees positive both sides. That's a visit from the screw-up fairy. I've fixed it.

I've always preferred using caster to offset road crown. I do not prefer setting different camber L to R unless the vehicle or the way it's used tells me it's necessary.
I was taught to use camber but it works either way. Normally 1/4 more in the drivers side offsets the crown unless you are in an area with a lot more crown or one of those areas in the southwest with less than normal crown.

When I subframed my 48 in 1981 I didn't have alignment equipment in the school shop and took it to the go to old time front end shop in town owned by a gent named Cooper and his butt lazy son. Old man Cooper may well have been one of the best alignment men in the country even though his dark, dirty and dingy shop didn't have any fancy equipment. He set it up and we actually took off to Texas with less than 80 miles on a fresh build and that truck would hold a straight line in SE Idaho on US 84 for a mile or more with your hands off the wheel.

HBC 3200, I would still keep a real close eye on those front tires and if you have same size tires all around rotate them at lower mileage than the tire shops reccomend. If you had skinny Bias tires on it or skinny Radials I wouldn't be all that concerned but wider tires on straight axles want everything perfect.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote