The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
BIG KRIS

How big with stock block

Whats the biggest most dependable pump gas street/strip driven small block you can build using a stock 350 block?

83 Custom Deluxe Almond on Almond
85 Silverado White on Red/Now Chevy LeMans Blue
Rendering in Truckin magazine vol 36 no. 11,2010
BIG KRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
redhead69
fugedaboutit

Re: How big with stock block

2nd paragraph pretty much sums it up
http://chevyhighperformance.automoti...ker-motor.html
Old 12-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Depends on components and depth of your wallet! Strong and good components are required for a strong dependable combo. I think a 383 is your best combo being cost effective.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Almost any engine 'assembler' can fit together a 383. And these days it's almost all 'plug and play' for the 383. On the street and never seeing the high side or 5000rpm you can get a set of 195-210cc heads that will work great at moderate rpm levels, and use a nice pfhat hydraulic roller with SERIOUS lift and you'll have SERIOUS street motor.

If your trying to put a 3.875 stroke in a 4" bore block you better have deep pockets and PILES of patients and ambition. Just as big of a problem as making it all fit in the stock casting, is finding heads that really work well for that kind of inches. If you want to 'pump it up' spin it up, and make some big power with a 3.875+ stroke you will be searching for a head at 225cc + IMO and then its just nothing but cubic dollars. Things get out of hand quickly.

IMO the smart money goes to a Dart SHP block, or Motown casting and builds 400-434 (the 3.875' stroke in the 4.155 bore will get you 421 cubic inches) and have a couple or three bores and rebuilds left in the block. And the difference in torque between the 3.875 and 4.000" stroke is not huge. But fitting the 4" stroke in ANY wet sump block is a major chore. Nothing but the Dart little M and the Rocket block with the spread pan rail is really 'ready' for the 4" stroke as far as I know.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
fryco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Almost any engine 'assembler' can fit together a 383. And these days it's almost all 'plug and play' for the 383. On the street and never seeing the high side or 5000rpm you can get a set of 195-210cc heads that will work great at moderate rpm levels, and use a nice pfhat hydraulic roller with SERIOUS lift and you'll have SERIOUS street motor.

If your trying to put a 3.875 stroke in a 4" bore block you better have deep pockets and PILES of patients and ambition. Just as big of a problem as making it all fit in the stock casting, is finding heads that really work well for that kind of inches. If you want to 'pump it up' spin it up, and make some big power with a 3.875+ stroke you will be searching for a head at 225cc + IMO and then its just nothing but cubic dollars. Things get out of hand quickly.

IMO the smart money goes to a Dart SHP block, or Motown casting and builds 400-434 (the 3.875' stroke in the 4.155 bore will get you 421 cubic inches) and have a couple or three bores and rebuilds left in the block. And the difference in torque between the 3.875 and 4.000" stroke is not huge. But fitting the 4" stroke in ANY wet sump block is a major chore. Nothing but the Dart little M and the Rocket block with the spread pan rail is really 'ready' for the 4" stroke as far as I know.

I have a 396 (4.030x3.875) 350 stock block, your on the money Marv, they are not cheap to build. I think the crank in mine is pushing $1500. And all the machine work... Granted I didn't buy anything cheap, but it still was 10k with the carb, distributer and ignition box.

Wouldn't call it cheap, dependable, or street friendly (legal) but it sure is fun!!!

Kris I'll give you a deal, $7000 for mine carb to pan... I wanna start the twin turbo project j/k nothings for sale
fryco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryco View Post
I have a 396 (4.030x3.875) 350 stock block, your on the money Marv, they are not cheap to build. I think the crank in mine is pushing $1500. And all the machine work... Granted I didn't buy anything cheap, but it still was 10k with the carb, distributer and ignition box.

Wouldn't call it cheap, dependable, or street friendly (legal) but it sure is fun!!!

Kris I'll give you a deal, $7000 for mine carb to pan... I wanna start the twin turbo project j/k nothings for sale
Ohhhhwwwwwww a TT :-) man I keep thinking about that myself. But this little birdie on my shoulder keeps asking,, just how dam fast do you need to go!!!!!!!!!! I was watching all the TT cars at SCSN last month thinking,,

puffft.... they make 200mph look easy!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 12-22-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
fryco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Ohhhhwwwwwww a TT :-) man I keep thinking about that myself. But this little birdie on my shoulder keeps asking,, just how dam fast do you need to go!!!!!!!!!! I was watching all the TT cars at SCSN last month thinking,,

puffft.... they make 200mph look easy!
Yeah, a buddy of mine has a 37 chevy truck... lsx block twin turbo, its big (think 472+) He says put the VP C-16 to it, it'll hold almost 35psi.... Runs 8 flat I think he only has about ten passes on it. He never got down the track with high boost set-up. Yeah low 8's on 92 octane!!!! He street drives it all the time. He complains of a extreme tire ware condition... So yeah, finally got mine done (about 3 days) and stopped by to visit him, yep need a new motor!!! He's not much for details but he told me he's close to tripling my horsepower with his.

I thought I was doing so good with my 400ci making 650hp, his pissed in my Cheerioes bad....
Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
darthwall

a nice some what cheaper build is a bowtie block there is a few on ebay right now
darthwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
BIG KRIS

My buddy is tryn to talk me into building a sb2.2

Old 12-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
fryco

I knocked around the sb2 thing myself. The price gets out of control quick! Way to much cnc porting and head machining, new heads don't even come with valve guides. I know the power potential is higher with the sb2's. Just not worth all the custom things that go with them (in my eyes)... I saw a few sets of ex-nascar heads on e-bay and racing junk. I just don't think their usable to anything on the street or street strip with the extensive porting that is usually done to them.

Maybe twin turbo with EFI....
Old 12-27-2010, 03:45 AM   #11
BIG KRIS

Yeah they are alot of dough.one of the guys in the shop just picked up a motor with sb2 stuff for 6gs complete and they put it on the dyno for him,makes over 700hp.now if timing and money hits right that might something to think about a used one.