The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
JointTech

one more compressor thread

Im having analysis paralysis.
I'm pretty sure I want a quincey. They have the QP and QT lines. The QP line seems to be the pressurized vs splash oiling as the main difference. correct?

Trying to find one online isnt easy because northerntool and aircompressorsdirect both have crap generic descriptions and both say splash oiling for the same part number.

Then to compound my problem I'm finding rolaire and belair units in the same range but slightly cheaper but they have pump lifes of 17000 hours vs quinceys 50000.

somebody tell me what and where to buy a sub $2000 including shipping and liftgate service, 15cfm+, US made.

I keep getting sidetracked on forums and features lol.

Last edited by JointTech; 07-10-2013 at 05:25 PM.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
JointTech

Re: one more compressor thread

well the QP line is out of my budget....
so that leaves things like the belaire for $300 less but includes an aftercooler.

Theres also the fact that all quinceys are single phase 230 only.

I see some CH industrial that will do 208-230 single phase which would be nice for me because my power input is actually 3 phase at 208v. My plan was to get a Buck-boost transformer because I dont want a 3phase compressor I wont be able to take with me later.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Like you, I shopped for a long time for a good US made compressor. I've forgotten half of what I learned back then, but I will tell you I got mine from TP Tools. It fits under your budget. I called them and they had to order it for me. It came via truck freight direct from Champion.

It's 100 percent USA made. The motor has grease zerks for the bearings. And it's quiet. My main business is media blasting and powdercoating. I have two cabinets and a pressure pot unit that I use. It runs them fine. I'd estimate when blasting, the duty cycle of the compressor is 40-50 percent. That is, when using my big cabinet, it comes on every couple of minutes and runs for a minute or so.

Different picture shows the magnetic starter box.

Main reason I was drawn to this over the Quincy was the lower rpm. It's very quiet. One of my cabinets is about 6 feet from the compressor. I can stand at my cabinet and bead blast while talking on the phone and the compressor isn't loud enough to cause me any problems hearing the conversation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
cdowns

TP tools is an excellent place to deal with and great on the phone answering all sorts or questions

check schedules for where they do swapmeets// it is possible to get really good deals at a swapmeet that they setup at
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter

I bought my big blast cabinet from them off their eBay store. It was listed as paint damage only and was several hundred off usual price. I used buy-it-now on Saturday and called them Monday to pay for it via credit card. They guy said they had sold my blemish blast cabinet at a swap meet over the weekend and he'd send me a non blem one for the cheap eBay price. Couldn't be happier....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
JointTech

found a 23cfm champion on craigs for under a grand. Looks new. Im going to go get it today if my buddy can get the skidsteer from work
anybody in SFV want to come lift heavy things lol?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
cdowns

i use my engine crane to lift all sorts of non engine things including compressors
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
JointTech

check it out $950. barely any dirt on it. Im going to simple green it later and it will look brand new.

my buddy is sometimes a dumba$$ but man he can back a trailer. He broke the gauge strapping it down...

and lift heavy things

I cant; pretty sure its broken. hurts like hell. rolled the damn dolly wheel not quite all the way over it.

Baldor motor ftw

175 psi, 710 rpm, and it ended up being 3-phase so Ill just deal with that problem when I move in a few years. until then should work great with my office 3phase power.

Last edited by JointTech; 07-11-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
72chevynoob

Looks like an awesome deal! By the way, you can buy single to three phase converters. We have one to run our whole feed mill. I have no clue how much they cost, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
JointTech

ive done some rresearch on them. they have cheap ones that dont work well with motors and compressors... They have expensive ones and they have really expensive electronic ones. lol ill worry abou that later.

What about that starter box? I dont see one mounted on this unit. Looks to go from pressure switch straight to the motor.
Also it has a weird 4 prong plug on it.

Last edited by JointTech; 07-11-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
72chevynoob

Our compressor doesn't have a starter box either. It is just wired from the breaker to the pressure switch to the motor. That looks like a twist-lock plug. I think 3-phase is sometimes 4 prong? Honestly dont know though, because all our three phase is hard wired.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Tx Firefighter

Well done. You bought a compressor from a company that has been making air compressors here in America since day 1. You wont be sorry.

I've basically been run off from the Garage Journal forum board for preaching the American made mentality. Everyone over there wants shiny new Chinese compressors rather than these old work horses. "But Home Depot will warranty it" they say...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
JointTech

had the electrcian come back and wire it up. Came on and filled up to 160ish in a bout 5 minutes. Its way quieter than my old one. Not sure about a phone call at 6 feet though. maybe..

I think im going to change the oil although it was full.

How many pumps to you grease the zircs on the motor? Ive alway gone till goo squeezes out. But I dont want to squeeze goo into the motor.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter

I have nothing to base my actions off of, but I put two pumps of grease per zerk every six months or so.

I might be packing the motor with extra grease for all I know. Also should mention my grease gun is the hand squeeze type and not the one with the long lever.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
JointTech

i have an air grease gun. Ill hit it with 2 shots. Ive been looking for a manual but cant find my exact model on baldors website. I did find yours though.
Im going to call them on monday. Also need to get the book on the pump to get the oil specs.
I cleaned the air filter. looked like a k&N or some time of cleanable one so I used my k&N kit.

Tomorrow I'm running PVC around the shop for 4 different drops. Putting an oiler on one of them. Im getting tired of my HF tools seizing up on me.

Im going to replace all the rubber lines as it looks like they are cracking from sitting in the sun.

belt seems to be tight. Need a new pressure gauge but dont want a cheapo from the depot so ill order one.

I cleaned the crap out of it last night so it looks pretty much new now. I guess it did light duty being used to blow the dust of engraved iphones.

cant wait to hook it to my blast cabinet and be able to go more than 30 seconds before losing pressure.

noticed a small leak right at the main blowoff valve on the tank, so when i change the rubber Im going to reteflon tape all the fittings as well.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #16
franken

I'm another fan of CL for compressors if you can troll for a few weeks.

I bought a Saylor-Beall compressor, apparently their bread and butter model since it's right there on the first page, right down to the red tag.

http://www.saylor-beall.com

VT-735-80: 5HP, 80Gal, 17.3CFM@175PSI

I got it from an artist. The pressure switch was wired wrong so it (rated at 3A) switched the load of the motor and contactor.

I douched out the old oil, changed it twice, added a drain (and drain the water daily). 50' of 3/4" pipe all slanted to drain water, a water separator (came with), and regulator at the end.

50' is minimal but I set it up so I can add more easily. That makes a solid home garage air system.

I'd been slowly trolling swap meets, garbage sales, pawn shops, etc. for air tools so when I got the base parts, I had the tools.

Even then, there's flex lines and fittings to the tool.

$200-500 240VAC to run the compressor if the panel isn't handy
$750 used good compressor
$200 hard lines
$100 water sep and reg
$100 hose
$??? air toys
$??? labor

Air is another utility like electricity, gas or water. The difference is we supply it.
Once you set it up right, you never want to be without.

A Taiwan compressor from the home store, and no water separation will sour you on this in a hurry.
Air tools don't like water and hot air contains water.

I'm on my 4th compressor so I learned the hard, expensive (my) way

Last edited by franken; 07-12-2013 at 11:30 PM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
JointTech

ah man its awesome. Now I need a new vacuum for my blast cabinet. Creates so much dust i cant see. Crazy how much air this thing has. I cant even overpower it by just keeping my blowoff tool open. pumps up faster than it empties.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Don't use PVC.It deteriorates and cracks and can explode sending plastic shrapnel all over.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote