The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
slaminum69

Question about harmonic balancer on a 250

I do apologize in advance on this question, I know there has been other posts in regards to it but I just want to make sure. On a 250 engine when mounting the harmonic balancer is there suppose to be a retaining bolt at the end of the crankshaft? I heard yes and no, so i want to make sure, I know when I got the motor there wasn't one on there, looked at others and the same but then some do. I looked at the crankshaft seems as the previous owner tried to tap one in and failed. Just want to make sure I am not missing something here don't want this balancer flying off when I am down the road, That would be a site to see, lol. I know every other engine I have worked on has had a retaining bolt for that purpose and hand cranking the engine, so anyways I would like to get some inputs from you guys Many Thanks
slaminum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
awbrown

Re: Question about harmonic balancer on a 250

Many 6 cyl. and early 283 327 engines didnt have a retaining bolt .. the only time I would worry about it is if you plan on racing it .. i lost one off a 327 half way down the track years ago .. since I do crankshaft work /grinding and repair I offer the service to customers so that they dont have any reservations about it later.... The 235/261 dont have it either... As the factory started placing pulleys farther out from the balancer I think it became a problem and they went to a bolt ... if you can drill and tap it with out a problem and for a peace of mind then do it and you wont think about it later .... you can go to a 1/2 inch bolt if the previous owner has messed up the threads or didnt get it drilled or tapped correctly...

Last edited by awbrown; 05-26-2011 at 08:18 AM.
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
slaminum69

Re: Question about harmonic balancer on a 250

Thank you awbrown for the reply and the information. I kinda figured it was set up that way but just wanted to make sure, due it was the first time I encountered one with out a retaining bolt. Thanks again
slaminum69 is offline   Reply With Quote