The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
IWanna49

Re: S10 Swap how to

Ahh..knew it was on here somewhere, I overlooked it. Thanks, Clay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay54 View Post
Check post #21 on this thread.

'51 3600/s10 swap- in progress
Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=641511
IWanna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
skymangs

Sorry all, been kinda busy lately.

Iwanna49; Yes! Use Muriatic acid to cut the wax off the frame before you grind it! I detailed it earlier in this thread. If you just grind the metal, you will only work the wax into the pores. The wax will cause poor weld penetration, as well as bead you welds up, making them more prone to cracking.

User Error; I use the factory wiring for electronic gauges. There is no guarantee that the stock senders are going to be compatible with your gauges. I would replace the stock sender with the senders included. But yes, your voltmeter should work, your speedometer should work as well. For temp and oil pressure, use what comes with the kit. Also, Dolphin may use 0-240 ohm fuel sender, I'm not 100% sure. you may find that you will have to use their sender in your fuel tank. Have you already purchased Dolphin gauges? If not, I would recommend looking for another option. I haven't been too happy with the one's I've installed. Lots of "out of the box" issues, like gauges that don't work.

CaliforniaDaddy; BlueJeep beat me to the punch. Just in from of the forward steering box bolt is where I cut mine as well. By the way Bluejeep, that pic looks suspiciously like a Ford Explorer trans cooler you have mounted there!
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
BlueJeep

Nope, I bought it before you shared that money saving tip! It's a B&M unit.

http://www.jegs.com/i/B-M/130/70268/...oductId=758370

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
User Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymangs View Post
User Error; I use the factory wiring for electronic gauges. There is no guarantee that the stock senders are going to be compatible with your gauges. I would replace the stock sender with the senders included. But yes, your voltmeter should work, your speedometer should work as well. For temp and oil pressure, use what comes with the kit. Also, Dolphin may use 0-240 ohm fuel sender, I'm not 100% sure. you may find that you will have to use their sender in your fuel tank. Have you already purchased Dolphin gauges? If not, I would recommend looking for another option. I haven't been too happy with the one's I've installed. Lots of "out of the box" issues, like gauges that don't work.
Yeah I've already purchased them... My wonder about using the included senders is the ecm will no longer be getting info from the alternate senders. I emailed Dolphin and they said the fuel is a 90ohm if memory serves... I haven't asked about the temp and oil pressure... Currently the OEM temp sensor is laying on the intake with a mechanical sender in it's place... it's reading some info but not accurate i'm sure... if I unplug it the computer gets rich and stalls the truck... really hope i can get the oem senders back in the ports and use them with these gauges... what brand have you had luck with using all the oem wiring and senders?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
Old Crow

Back when EFI first came out a lot of the Chevy trucks had 2 temp senders. One for the gauge and another for the computer. Even now, most of my Vintage Air installations that use electric fans have 2 temp sensors.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
skymangs

User Error; The TBI motor uses 2 temp senders. The one on the passenger head is for the gauge only, The one on the intake is for the ECM. Replace the one on the head with your new sending unit. The ECM doesn't read oil pressure, so you are good to replace that sender anyway.

So, to re-cap, leave the temp sensor in the intake, replace the one in the head with the Dolphin supplied one. Replace the Oil pressure sender with the Dolphin supplied one. Should work like a charm.

There is also a plugged sensor hole on the driver side head (near the exhaust manifold) you can use if you don't want to mess with the original ones.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
User Error

Quote:
User Error; The TBI motor uses 2 temp senders. The one on the passenger head is for the gauge only, The one on the intake is for the ECM. Replace the one on the head with your new sending unit. The ECM doesn't read oil pressure, so you are good to replace that sender anyway.

So, to re-cap, leave the temp sensor in the intake, replace the one in the head with the Dolphin supplied one. Replace the Oil pressure sender with the Dolphin supplied one. Should work like a charm.

There is also a plugged sensor hole on the driver side head (near the exhaust manifold) you can use if you don't want to mess with the original ones.
Great info... thanks... I'll head out there in a bit and take a look at the temp sensor, as currently the front one is out and the manual gauge is in it's location... will hunt out the one on the pass side of the head... I was just researching the VSS and looking at pics of the wiring... and I'm seeing it's a two wire set up... any info on which wire does what? Sorry to ask so many questions, I love wiring but I've never messed with any gauges so this is a learning experience for me... Also can anyone post a photo of the gauge cluster plug? I've got a ton of plugs wrapped around my column not being used and that would help me figure out which one I'm searching for...
Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
User Error

Quote:

Yeah I may have to use the one in the drivers side head... The one in the pass head has a single spade connector coming out of it with a red wire attached with a female spade... no clue what it's going to... it runs up to the original loom and I haven't tore it apart to see where it goes... I got into doing a little test lighting on the cluster plug today and found that the pin out you posted is different than mine... I've got no pins in 1,2,3 and 4 and 10 are blinker feeds. 16 is ignition + power... Still unsure on just what year this S10 was... I guess I will just start hooking up one gauge at a time and see where I end up... Can you or someone post a pic of the driver side coolant port I can use for that temp sender? Oil I should be good, just going to use the one where the current mechanical sender is... Speedo, I'm going to need to order a plug since the trans has nothing in that location currently... when I do that can I just run that direct to the speedo? or will I need to include the ECM back into the circuit?
Old 09-11-2014, 12:51 AM   #9
skymangs

Front cab stands - measure 2 1/8th" forward of the oval frame hole just behind the flare of the frame (right behind front wheel). Scribe a vertical line. This will mark the rear edge of the front cab stand.

Rear cab stands - measure 10 1/2" from the rear of the 5/8" round frame hole

CaliforniaDaddy; yup, If you are using a long bed, short cab, chassis, the above measurements are what to use.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
rocks23

Skymangs, this thread is going to be a lifesaver when it comes time to do my '50. Looks like all is pretty clearly explained. SUBSCRIBED!!
rocks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
skymangs

Thank you, I hope it will be a helpful tool to lots of folks.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Thanks for all your work on all this skymangs, this is now a "sticky"

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
oossuuu754

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Thanks for all your work on all this skymangs, this is now a "sticky"

Cecil-1953 5 window build thread

Skymangs..Chris of Old Sarge customs had a shop fire and was severly injured. To help with the medical bills and expenses a fund has been set up here....http://gofundme.com/c49h5mjx8 More details are here...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7253189
oossuuu754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
iowaboynca

Whoever suggested this be a sticky is a bona fide genius!
iowaboynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
iowaboynca

Oh, and Congratz!!!

You do great stuff and your explanations are very clear and descriptive. Congratz again!!!
iowaboynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #16
oldman3

Hey Chris, congrats on the sticky for a great thread...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
skymangs

Thanks Bill for making this a sticky. I hope it will be a good tool for quick reference.

Side note. I just got an longbed pickup going on an extended cab in the shop today. As I build this one I'll be able to give ya'll dimensions for extended cab conversion as well.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #18
BlueJeep

Quote:
Side note. I just got an longbed pickup going on an extended cab in the shop today. As I build this one I'll be able to give ya'll dimensions for extended cab conversion as well.
That's what mine is! I trimmed 2.375" off the front of the bed to match the extended cab wheelbase.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #19
Black93GT

Quote:
I'm looking forward to this one. I'm hunting for a cheap extended cab for my 3600. They're snagged before I can get to them, and I don't want to pay extra for a pretty one. Can't wait to hear the verdict on this swap.
Black93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #20
skymangs

User Error; the two wires off the VSS should go directly to the ECM. There will be one wire from the ECM that gives signal to the speedo. I posted the pinout for S10 Dash plug earlier on this thread.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #21
User Error

Quote:
User Error; the two wires off the VSS should go directly to the ECM. There will be one wire from the ECM that gives signal to the speedo. I posted the pinout for S10 Dash plug earlier on this thread.
10-4 anyone have an actual pic of what the gauge plug looks like? I've got the unused portion of the harness all zip tied around the column up under the dash many many plugs... not doing the tear down myself... no clue which plug I'm looking for LoL... Fun stuff finishing someone elses project... it's got it own set of issues...
Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #22
skymangs

On the 3600 build. So far, the cab stand reference points and measurements are exactly the same as the long-bed frame. I am prepping the 5.3L/4L60E combo today, hopefully be the end of the week the bed will be mocked up.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #23
Old Crow

Sarge, I see lots of pickups done with the s-10. Ever done an AD panel truck/s-10 swap?

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #24
skymangs

User error; Correct.

Old Crow; I have not done a panel truck yet, but I can't see the difficulty. They use the same bed and cross sills as a truck. Should be pretty much exactly the same.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #25
beanyard

I just bought both a 49 and 53 burb (one for parts) and I was thinking of swapping onto an s10 but I wondered if the low part of the frame would hang too low.
beanyard is offline   Reply With Quote