The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
one mile

Front End Alignment Issue

I really don't know if I am asking the right question......I need or would like for my '72 pickup to corner real well without too much tire wear. I am not going to Auto X it but I would like to get the most out of it. I have 17 X 8's up front with Nittos and 17 X 10's in the rear. Sway bars front & rear ,Bilstine shocks all around. The front end shop tells me to ask for specs. from you folks. Any input?
one mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Front End Alignment Issue

is you truck dropped. if so, how? spindles, bags, springs?

off the subject, but what type of rear sway bar do you have???

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 04-15-2009 at 09:32 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
cdowns

the whole spec sheet for the front end alignment is in the factory service manuals(available from most board vendors) i'd go to a different shop ,they should have the spec if they're any good

is the truck lowered if so how? lowering springs and cut springs alot of times dont align well
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
one mile

I picked up a sway bar kit from CPP Trucks. It came with great instructions and all parts needed. The other question ....I am using stock 6 cyl. springs all around. I have a BBC in it so it sits lower but still has a good "Stance" for me. I am not looking for stock specs. but more along a performance set up...maybe for the lack of a better work you could say a Auto X set up but not too much...Is that a good enough answer? I really don't know how else to describe it. Any thoughts?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

All I found was this thread...looks like it's for a SBC....maybe pm 'cparman with your question??
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335150

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
neonlarry

If you want an alignment for better handling tell us how it handles now, be specfic i.e. does it under/oversteer near the limit? How flat does it corner (pics would help)? What Nittos do you have (the most improvement in handling to be had is from tiers)? What size front and rear bar do you have?
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
Wrenchbender Ret

I set my 70 at 1 1/2 degree pos caster. 1/4 degree negative camber & 1/8 in. toe-in. It has a CCP front sway bar kit & HD shocks. There is no sway bar in the rear & plain gas shocks. It drives beautiful. I like to leave my car at home & drive the pickup.
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
cparman
sharp as a marble

GCburbic, thanks !! Here is my 1/2 cent worth. A mopar guy I know said that is all a Chevy guys opinion is worth.

0 degrees camber
as much positive caster as you can get
1/8 " toe in

IF you could get the camber NO MORE that -1/2 degree, and then fiddle with the caster to get as much positive caster as possible. IMO any more negative camber and tire wear will become an issue.You want a bit more caster in the right front wheel than the left. 1/2 degree more in the right than the left.
IE 2.0 positive left front 2.5 positive right front.
Set the to to spec, which I think will be 1/8th in.

You are going to need to find a shop with a car guy aligning your truck. Most of the tire stores are " toe and go" kind of places. My employees will tell you that I am a PIA, because I am too picky. In the real world of aligning your truck, you may already have a BUNCH of negative camber in your truck. soft springs, bbc etc. Really all you can do is to work with what you have. In the end you may have NO positive caster. Ask the shop to print out a BEFORE AND AFTER sheet of your alignment. If they say they cannot thank them and find another old fart like me in your hometown. HTH.. PM me if you have questions

Last edited by cparman; 04-16-2009 at 04:44 PM.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
one mile

Boy tell me about it! It is hard as H--- to find a shop that gives a rip about doing anything "Out of spec." as they say. What they are telling me is that they know how to line up two bars with a third bar, but they don't know squat about what it is doing or why! Sorry about the *****ing but I am sure you all have come across this same issue. Well I work 2nd and I have to run but thanks for the input and I will be back on line later......
Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Mondo

Mine is pretty low and I needed a different upper A-arm designed for lowered trucks to get the camber back in spec.... it also was designed for more castor. It rides really well now.

You may want a quick ratio steering box if you want more responsiveness (though it can be a little twitchy).
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
cparman
sharp as a marble

There has got to be someone in the Spartanburg/Greenville area that will adjust to your specs. Just keep a diggin
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote