The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
gkhashem
Account Suspended

1970 Door Panels

Ok guys I am looking at the "punch list"

Door panel on drivers side missing two screws at the bottom. I have collared screws. But the screws are not catching anything to screw into.

How long are the screws or is there a u clip underneath the panel that they screw into?

I rather not remove the panel unless I need to.

Guess I could remove a screw to check length but rather not if there are clips in there since they can be a pain to put back and align.

Thanks
gkhashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
doo142

Re: 1970 Door Panels

On 70 doors they are welded nuts in door, don't know the size off hand
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Actually, they're called ''clip nuts''. They are rectangular with spring steel wings that clip into the squared off hole for the door panel screws. I got some at Ace Hardware.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
racerop

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Actually, they're called ''clip nuts''. They are rectangular with spring steel wings that clip into the squared off hole for the door panel screws. I got some at Ace Hardware.
Thanks for the knowledge! I really like this site because the information gathered disseminated and readily available. I really like the added bonus of knowing where to get them. you rock!
racerop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
hugger6933

The hole in the door is the same size hole that ALL bumpers had/have in them. Those little plastic clips pop right into the hole and while it is not factory it is cheap to replace them and would function as intended. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
gkhashem
Account Suspended

Ok guess I have to remove the door panel since I bet they have fallen out or were lost

So are they these??
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkhashem View Post
Ok guess I have to remove the door panel since I bet they have fallen out or were lost

So are they these??
No, I call those J clips. The Clip Nuts have 2 spring steel 'wings' one on each end.
The wings clip into small brackets in the inside door assembly.
I'd guess 1/4-20, but pull one of the good screws and take it in for sizing.
You will have to pop off the door handle and window crank. There's a special tool, but I've heard one can slip a supermarket bag or silk rag between the handle and door panel and catch the omega-shaped door handle spring clip and pull it out of its groove. Then the handle comes straight off. To reassemble, set up the handle with a good clip, align it in position and it will pop on.
You may find the old clip nut down there. Also a lot of 'period' stuff. I found the jigsaw puzzle-like fragments of my original build sheet. Lost it since.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
chiefcfd

That's a U-nut the difference being a clip nut has a threaded sleeve. That is for sheet metal threads I think. I don't know what the screw is on a '70 door panel. Mine is a '72 and has the plastic pins. Here is a clip nut.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-45818

Last edited by chiefcfd; 08-14-2015 at 08:07 PM.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #9
hugger6933

When taking off the clips that hold on the handle and roller, use the clip tool and go in from the way the handle is pointing. That will align you properly with the groove. Also be careful it is spring steel and likes to fly when released. It is best to put your hand behind it so to catch the flying clip. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
When taking off the clips that hold on the handle and roller, use the clip tool and go in from the way the handle is pointing. That will align you properly with the groove. Also be careful it is spring steel and likes to fly when released. It is best to put your hand behind it so to catch the flying clip. Jim
TWING!!! Now where did that little rascal go?? Dang, I hope I have another one in the junk buckets. (I've heard this can happen)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 AM   #11
MikeyMan

Best solution to broken or missing "nuts" in the door is to use those nylon license plate fasteners. Remove the damaged welded in nuts. I've used a punch or nail set and just wiggled them around til the weld breaks loose. Then you just press in the nylon/plastic nut into the square hole in the door. Run your screw into the new insert and it will cut it's own threads. I replaced all my door panel screws with 1/4-20 stainless machine screws and trim washers. The trim washers covered any oversized holes in the panels, and provide a cleaner look. Stainless steel screws won't rust and the nylon insert nuts will never seize up.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #12
gkhashem
Account Suspended

Thanks!! I got those license plate holders too. Great idea and it will work and I take your word those will fit in the door panel.

Instead of washer you can get stainless collared screws, if that's what you call them. The have the rounded rim around the screw head works as long as your door panel hole is not hacked.