The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
BurnoutNova

any mobile tool distributers here?

ive been thinking of getting out of the automotive service industry for a few reasons, and was wondering if any of you own your own mobile tool franchise? ive always kind of been interested in staring a franchise up, and just figured i'd see if anyone has any feedback, good AND bad. i know a fair amount about each of (in my opinion) the 4 major brands, snap-on, mac, matco, and a bit lesser known, cornwell. is there any more? i have a pretty good idea of what it takes to start one up, been in contact with a district manager for one of the companys and checking into financing and all the lagalities, ect.

i really like working on cars, and will do it as a hobby forever. but i figure i'll open up my options befor im sorry i didnt, after all i dont want to be the 65 year old tech with bad knees and still bench pressing diesel trannys all day. also thought about becoming a service advisor, but the little bit i deal with customers as it is makes me want to stray away from it
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: any mobile tool distributers here?

Be very careful. Lots more vans full of tools packed into much smaller territories these days.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I've been at the shop now for about 5 1/2 years, and we are on our 4th Snap on guy. the cat we have now has been on this route for going on 2 years. I considered it myself, he said his MAIN complaint is the loooooong hrs. 60 hrs on a light week. I can't remember what he told me as far as his take home... but i know I wasn't too impressed. It was more than I make... but that ain't sayin much.
*note.... he doesn't own his tool truck, he works for the owner of the franchise*
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive heard from guys who do just that the money is not worth the time and you wind up having thousands of dollars you need to chase down. You hear more excuses than carter had liver pills and its nerve wracking i gave up on trying it myself

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I've been at the shop now for about 5 1/2 years, and we are on our 4th Snap on guy. the cat we have now has been on this route for going on 2 years. I considered it myself, he said his MAIN complaint is the loooooong hrs. 60 hrs on a light week. I can't remember what he told me as far as his take home... but i know I wasn't too impressed. It was more than I make... but that ain't sayin much.
*note.... he doesn't own his tool truck, he works for the owner of the franchise*
also have had probleoms with *employees* of the franchisees... seems there never motivated as much as the guys who own thier own franchise

thanks for the input... ive heard about deadbeats that dont pay, and have actully worked with a few... but i cant help but want to give it a shot

and as far as the teritory, well i could have 800 customers a week, and more if i have time for them (the company im looking into has ALOT of uncovered territory right now)
Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
rwgregory

A good friend of mine was a Mac tool man for about 2 years in northern Louisiana. He said the pay was great, but the hours stunk!!! Most days he was out of the house before 6:00 AM and never got home before 8:00 PM. He would also spend a good part of his weekends catching up with his books and paperwork. After 2 years he said enough is enough and quit!!

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

do yourself a favor and do some heavy research into the brand and the demand for their products. we have all 4 here but Mac and Cornwell barely get anything. techs (me included) see what they have to offer and are not interested. a guy in town gave up the bloody knuckle gig and started a new Cornwell route. most everything they have is reboxed from other sources. the Mac guy doesnt even com to our side of town and noone even seems to care.

selling tools in a new market is like fishing with a new bait that the fish dont know and could care less about. plan on being un-employed for 2 or 3 years before you see a profit.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
most everything they have is reboxed from other sources.

all the tool vendors do that... even the snap-on guys sell a bunch of stuff from k-d, otc, lisle, ect.

but i do know snap on has the best name recognition, and is probobly the most popular. but then again it like 200K to start a snap on franchise
Old 11-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
pcmcobra

just an fyi, google some snap on horror stories. I know every company has them, but good read if not for just entertainment...

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

I think Snap-on has the best reputation and probably the most recognition of any of them. I've heard horror stories with them, but I've personally had more bad experiences with Matco and Mac than anything else.

About 85% of my tools are Snap-on, and if they make it, my money will go to them before any other company.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
71big block
1971 GMC 3/4 ton, 572 CID

I was a Matco distributor for 5 years, it wasn't that bad of a gig. I made a decent income and worked a resonable amount of hours. It is what you make of it like anything else. The area I live in (Green Bay, WI) was well represented with Matco distributors so skips wern't a major problem, they always turn up somewhere.

I was very happy with the support Matco provided and the district manager was outstanding.
If you have any other questions let me know.

"We always have parts left over on a job this size"

Last edited by 71big block; 11-02-2007 at 04:23 PM.
71big block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71big block View Post
I was a Matco distributor for 5 years, it wasn't that bad of a gig. I made a decent income and worked a resonable amount of hours. It is what you make of it like anything else. The area I live in (Green Bay, WI) was well represented with Matco distributors so skips wern't a major problem, they always turn up somewhere.

I was very happy with the support Matco provided and the district manager was outstanding.
If you have any other questions let me know.

if you dont mind me asking why did you quit? were you a franchisee or an employee for someone?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
71big block
1971 GMC 3/4 ton, 572 CID

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
if you dont mind me asking why did you quit? were you a franchisee or an employee for someone?

I was a franchisee, I had the oppertunity to buy a larger business

"We always have parts left over on a job this size"
71big block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Andy it sound like ur shop... we have had 3 Snap On guys in 4 years...and we are on our third Matco guy....<he is getting out of the business...i thaught about it, but with the hours and from what i have been told low pay ... i cant see the rewards just yet....
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
bpmcgee

I wish I knew a snap-on guy. I'd like to get some tools!

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #16
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Think outside of the box.
Start a van that sells Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, AND Craftsman (plus all the specialty companies and their tools). THEN you'd be set. You would be full service to everyone. MONOPOLY!

Licensing might be a problem - but hey - what they don't know, won't hurt 'em, right. Just start out with a lot of money.

If this goes through - I get 10%.

DLB
Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #17
724wdcopper
graphic designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcgee View Post
I wish I knew a snap-on guy. I'd like to get some tools!

B
snapon.com might be a good start for you...
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #18
bpmcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724wdcopper View Post
snapon.com might be a good start for you...
I've been there. Pretty darned pricey!

B
Old 11-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcgee View Post
I've been there. Pretty darned pricey!

B
The guys in the vans are not any cheaper.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #20
bpmcgee

No? Okay, thanks for the info.

I figured that the website would have the "MSRP", and the trucks would have the "Actual Prices."

I guess it's eBay then.

B
Old 11-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #21
caminokid
Chevy nut

I use mainly Snap On...if I was to sell tools...then Span On would be it...unless someone gives me a craftsman route!!! LOL

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #22
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

yeah them Span On tools they are awsome....lol.......i had to so many catch my spelling errors lol.................
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #23
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
I use mainly Snap On...if I was to sell tools...then Span On would be it...unless someone gives me a craftsman route!!! LOL
the probleom is it costs about 250K to start out! cornwell and matco are around 70K, and im sure mac is in that ballpark

another probleom swith snap-on is there LOOSING the most dealers out of anybody, cornwell is the only company thats actully consistantly GROWN in the last 5 years.

dont get me wrong, i love snap on tools. thats what i have the most of, and i cant complain other than the price sometimes. but when it comes down to it, i think cornwell/matco is just as good for the most part.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #24
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
the probleom is it costs about 250K to start out! cornwell and matco are around 70K, and im sure mac is in that ballpark

another probleom swith snap-on is there LOOSING the most dealers out of anybody, cornwell is the only company thats actully consistantly GROWN in the last 5 years.

dont get me wrong, i love snap on tools. thats what i have the most of, and i cant complain other than the price sometimes. but when it comes down to it, i think cornwell/matco is just as good for the most part.
The reason why I go Snap On is I break all other ratchets. I dont know why...I guess i have too much strength in my arms.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #25
Shane
Account Suspended

If you breaking ratchets, then you're using the wrong size drive ratchet ... regardless of brand.

Last edited by Shane; 11-03-2007 at 11:27 PM. Reason: correct spelling