The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
Apache'71

Removing Polyurethane Bedliners?

I have '71 Fleetside that I had Rhino Lined over ten years ago. Of course the premise to do this is because this stuff is impervious to everything caustic. Can this stuff be stripped off, possibly buy having the bed acid dipped? You may ask, why would you want to do that? Well it is has been ten years since I completed my first cab-on restoration back when I was in high school, the truck has been sitting without an engine for 5 years now and is yearning to be lovingly restored again...only problem, the truck is dark green and so is the bedliner. It now wants to be pearl white...but what to do about the green rhino lining. How about spraying over it with another color? Anyone done this?

A side note about the box I found back in the early nineties...it was to be the third box during the restoration. I scouted junkyards every weekend, pealing parts off of these old trucks...(good luck finding even a truck that resembles anything from 67 thru 72 today!). My brother and I had a pretty good relationship with one of the yards, as my brother was always interested in "builders". Anyways an original 67-72 (can't remember the year) rolled into the yard and we spotted it before it made its way to be stripped, etc. It still had its camper on it that was vintage 1970s. Low and behold, opened that camper shell and bed floor was near perfect! I paid for the bed and both doors before the truck was even catalogued into their system, nor had the sheet metal been coded with the corresponding part numbers. Believe me, this bed is primo (and ten years later, still no-one is selling a complete steel panel to replace steel bed floors).

Hindsight, I should have gone neutral on the Rhino lining color...
Apache'71 is offline   Reply With Quote