The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Skunksmash

Air compressor questions

Bought a house with a shop! Every man's dream. Anyway, now I gotta buy an air compressor. Too bad I don't know anything about em. Went to Home Depot, Lowes, and Sears. Those things are expensive! Even on craigslist everyone seems to want a lot for their air compressors. So here are my questions:

1. I saw a 6 gallon Hitachi pancake compressor at Home Depot for $189. It will do 135 PSI max, which is what I want. That way it can torque truck lug nuts just fine. However, a 6 gallon tank sounds small. Can I just sort of rig it up to fill up a 20 gallon tank, thus saving a lot of money? I'd like to rig it all up so that the little air compressor fills up both tanks, for a total of 26 gallons. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

2. Are there any air compressor brands to stay away from?

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of oil-less compressors? I seem to be finding those things everywhere.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Air compressor questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of oil-less compressors? I seem to be finding those things everywhere.
And you'll find them in junk piles everywhere also, There is no advantage...... Their loud and obnoxious when running and while using air tools they continuously run, You have to wait for them to build pressure back up even putting lug nuts on. When most quit pumping it's hard to find repair parts and if you do the cost out weighs the value of the machine.

I repair compressors often in my line of work and find your always better off with a belt driven splash lube type compressor, Yes their expensive but if maintained properly last for many many years.

The Husky 60-Gal doesn't sound like a bad deal; http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...z0y9dy=1z0y9dy

If at all possible try getting into something like this and it will do nearly any home job you want......
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
WadmalawJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
And you'll find them in junk piles everywhere also, There is no advantage...... Their loud and obnoxious when running and while using air tools they continuously run, You have to wait for them to build pressure back up even putting lug nuts on. When most quit pumping it's hard to find repair parts and if you do the cost out weighs the value of the machine.

I repair compressors often in my line of work and find your always better off with a belt driven splash lube type compressor, Yes their expensive but if maintained properly last for many many years.

The Husky 60-Gal doesn't sound like a bad deal; http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...z0y9dy=1z0y9dy

If at all possible try getting into something like this and it will do nearly any home job you want......

X2

Those pancakes are handy sometimes, but not in a auto garage setting.

I don't have the Husky 60 gallon, but I have a belt driven type compressor 30 gallon or so, that's gotta be 25+ years old. I got it used for $100 about 10 years ago. Keep checking CL.
*Also I never had good luck with removing lug nuts with a air impact gun. I ended up buying a electric impact gun. Garages use the air impact, they must have better guns or something, I've tried 3 and none of them had enough power to break a lug nut loose, even with air pressure cranked up to max.
Maybe, someone can enlighten us on air impacts to?

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
Maybe, someone can enlighten us on air impacts to?
Hands down best bang for the buck is the Ingersoll Rand 231 C, I used my first one daily for 25 yrs before wearing the anvil out so I bought a new one. I was skeptical about the new China built one having the same power as my old USA built, I wasn't disappointed at all as it does the same job my old one did. This gun also works much better than chain store impacts on smaller 30 gal compressors......

Just read the customer reviews.....

Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super-Duty Air... Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super-Duty Air...
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
donut

I've got a similar 60 gal, at the time I got it Lowes, HD, Sears... all sold the same one, painted different. (model numbers all the same, may have changed now. They used to be Campbell Hausefield.) It does handle most of what I want.

My oil less compressor was saved for the nailguns. Even with a 20 gal capacity, I'd have to wait after a lug or 2 for it to catch up.

I don't regret spending the $$, actually glad I did.

Using different impacts recently, I settled on the MAC version. I was going to get the Ingersol 231, but it was a need it now situation. My cheap HF style is retired to home, as well as my Central Pneumatic. The CP worked, but I prefer the ergonomics of the MAC/Ingersol.

I do believe a site search will turn up an afternoon of reading.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Skunksmash

Uh I wasn't really asking about impact wrenches, just air compressors. I already have an impact wrench that works great.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Uh I wasn't really asking about impact wrenches, just air compressors. I already have an impact wrench that works great.
WadmalawJoe piggybacked the question in his answer, so I answered both.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Skunksmash

Yeah thanks for the info either way. I would certainly get that Ingorsol impact but its a little expensive and I've already got one that appears to work fine. "Appears" lol. I guess you can't really ever tell what they've torqued the lug nuts down to. Maybe some of the electric ones have a torque setting.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
arturo7

Does your shop have 230v power? If so, keep an eye on craigslist. You can usually find a 5HP 60G unit for $200-300 if you're patient.

build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542073
arturo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
LEEVON

This is one of those things you have to do right, or you'll go nuts. My 60 gallon, single-stage compressor does the job but it will run continuously on the higher volume tools. Two stage is better. Anything 120v isn't going to cut it.

You cannot piggy-back the small compressor, it will burn up and the oil-less get really hot, really quick and aren't serviceable. They are rediculously loud as well, like if you are in the same garage you need hearing protection.

I found mine on Craigslist, I think I gave $100-125. It's a well-cared for single stage 60 gallon that just needed a high pressure switch ($20, Ebay). Filter, oil change, and I was in business.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Skunksmash

Got one at pep boys on sale. $200. Had to buy it. It was in the budget and I've still got a lot of stuff left to buy like a work bench, and a bench grinder.

Don't know if its single stage or two stage. What's the difference? Its a 30 gallon 125 PSI, 120v that takes oil. Had a cool glass peek hole so you could fill to the proper oil level. I let it run for 20 min with the plug out of the tank, for a break in period. As per the instruction manual. The manual also says to take that plug out of the bottom of the tank once a week and drain the water. Never knew you had to do that with compressors.

I think I'll be fine with the 120v because I've had one before (a 26 gallon husky) and it treated me well. I kept looking on craigslist for one that suited my needs, but I never could find one. I thought that a 60 gallon would be nice, but those things are way too big for me. I just don't need that kind of power. Also I don't want it taking up so much room. I just need to deal with lug nuts, and run the air ratchet. Home garage type stuff.

Last edited by Skunksmash; 05-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.