The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
donthekawguy

air compressor moisture seperator question

My compressor is in the house and my blast cabinet is in the garage so I have to run a line out. I get a LOT of moisture in the line probably from the compressor being hot and the lines being cold. I have a filter regulator at the compressor and a small moister separator about 25 feet from the blaster. I have to stop about every 15 minutes and empty the separator and take the tip out of the gun to get the wet sand out. Should I be using a bigger separator or maybe install another one on the blast cabinet? took all day to blast a bunch of parts and I'm looking for a better way.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: air compressor moisture seperator question

having the compressor far away is good for condensing out the moisture, now you need to drain it
are you using a rubber hose or copper line from the compressor and how long is the line?

easiest way is to have a reservoir before the the blaster with air in the side, air out the top and a drain valve on the bottom
the reservoir can be anything; a couple feet of 1'' copper or many feet of 3/4'' copper
copper is easy to work with solder the joints and the plethora of cheap fittings at home depot

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
donthekawguy

I'm using rubber hose. I just have a cheap separator from HF thats about 30 feet from the compressor. then it plugs into the separator then about 20 feet to the cabinet. Any suggestions for a good separator?
Old 11-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
theastronaut

If you're blasting then it's probably getting the whole system hot and the water can't condense out before it passes through your separator. We were having that problem especially in the summer. Had two water traps but we were still getting water through.

Built this to cool the lines off enough to condense the water out. Its a dorm fridge with a 5 gallon bucket of water inside, and 20 feet of copper tubing coiled inside of the bucket of water. The cold water cools the air line so that the water vapor can condense and be caught by the water trap on the outside of the fridge. I've got it connected with quick disconects so I can move it if I need to. Works great!

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
cdowns

I had an 80ggallon compressor and ran it into a dead 29gallon compressor right b4 my blast cabinet and that solved all my condensation problems being less than a quarter mile from the ocean and high humidity it was quite moist and that solved the problem'

I could blast all day long without problems as long as I used dry clean media/// not playsand cause that attracts moisture and you buy it wet// bagged steril is the way to blast for the few extra bucks
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Willowrun

Here is the setup in my current makeshift shop area. Used black pipe with drops and ball valves for drains on all vertical runs. Also note that the horizontal runs are on an angle running towards a drain. The main feed line to my air tools goes up and around (above the '76 MI license plate) so that the condensation is directed towards the drain and not the tool. The black pipe helps cool the air and therefore works to turn the condensation into liquid that can be drained. I have an outlet plumbed for adding a water separator at the end of the run if needed.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
OutlawDrifter

+1 for the black pipe setup, below is a picture of my setup. i've painted in 95*+ heat and 70% humidity with zero problems.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote