The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
VA72C10
VA72C10

What will my truck be worth?

I have found a 67 project i want to buy and that will mean i need to sell my 1970. I have started tearing it down for body work and paint. It is a 1970 longbed fleetside with a strong 350 with Edelbrock carb and intake, headers, new exhaust with about 5k miles on it, a professionally rebuilt 350 tranny with shift kit and 2800 stall, 373 open rear, soon to be B&M floorshifter, new fenders, cowl hood, inner fenders, rad support, front and rear chrome bumpers, billet grille, chrome grille surround, all new weatherstripping, base/clear coat by professional bodyman but done at his home shop (To be completed-but his work on the cab and the finish on the fenders and hood is excellent) New inner and outer rockers and cab corners, new interior sunvisors, carpet, seats, old bed in great shape with spray in bedliner (to be done). Added power brakes and power steering. Relocated blazer tank in rear. Relocated battery to frame in drop down box. Frame was cleaned up and painted by PO. Drum brakes recently rebuilt. Cut springs (will change out if you guys think that will significantly increase the value).

Any idea of what the truck would go for completed? Here is the link to the build thread i actually just started
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=28999

Here is a picture of the truck and engine and a picture of how it will look when done (minus the rims-Has 15" Rally's with beauty rings 8" front 10" rear which are painted black but i might paint blue to match the truck.- and minus the tonneau cover on the bed)

Name:  March 27, 2008 009.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  March 27, 2008 001.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  Idea for my truck.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  69.2 KB
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
dan42

Re: What will my truck be worth?

Whatever someone is willing to pay. With 4 dollar gas it's going to be a little tougher to sell.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
VA72C10
VA72C10

I am just looking for a range of what i might be able to sell it for. I know values are all over the place and are a little down right now. I plan on listing it on here first when it is completed and i will be heavily documenting the build for the next owner. If i don't sell it on here i will list it on Craigslist and then on Ebay. There will be no rust left once the two more spots in the cab are fixed next week. Feel free to make recommendations like adding larger rims or putting new drop springs on if that will help me sell it. I just don't want to put too much into this truck. I am going to have about 4K in new and used parts (great used rad support, inner fenders, etc.) Plus the 3300 i paid for the truck and about 5-6K worth of body work.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
HoupPhotography

Do a little research on flea bay and see what the same truck has actually sold for. It may be a little tough like Dan said, with gas prices so high and on the rise. It's put my junk on jack stands to rebuild and clean everything up.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
streetstar

I think you picked the wrong project if you want to sell it for anything significant. You mentioned investing 12,300 to 13,300 in the truck, and unless you do something really special with it, you will be lucky to get 8k out of a hopped up long bed

That blue one may be a 12 to 15k truck or more, but i see big front brakes on it (probably rear discs too) - and it likely has a powder-coated frame

If you want to build something else -- it will be less expensive to cut your losses on this one, sell it for what you can get -- and then put your money in the new one.

Its hard to make bucks off a truck like this -- its better when you can just build it for your personal use and pleasure and keep for a few years

No matter how much you spend on the exterior, nobody will pay premium coin for a ride with a spray-bombed frame, front drums and jury-rigged coils (front drums are okay on a 100 point restoration, but other than something like that, many people look at them as a negative)

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
Do a little research on flea bay and see what the same truck has actually sold for. It may be a little tough like Dan said, with gas prices so high and on the rise. It's put my junk on jack stands to rebuild and clean everything up.
THe problem with Ebay is the prices are all over the place....i guess it just comes down to timing and finding the right buyer who really loves your truck. There have been a few trucks that sold for around 15K which weren't as nice as my 70 will be when finished, but also trucks that don't sell and nobody bids over 5K for that are nicer. I think people are scared away by high reserves which is part of it.

I guess the worst thing that will happen is i will get my truck completed and drive it and it won't sell and so i'll miss out on the 67. Guess we'll just have to see.

Any more info or recommendations on what to do/not do is appreciated. Especially from people who have recently sold vehicles. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
I think you picked the wrong project if you want to sell it for anything significant. You mentioned investing 12,300 to 13,300 in the truck, and unless you do something really special with it, you will be lucky to get 8k out of a hopped up long bed

That blue one may be a 12 to 15k truck or more, but i see big front brakes on it (probably rear discs too) - and it likely has a powder-coated frame

If you want to build something else -- it will be less expensive to cut your losses on this one, sell it for what you can get -- and then put your money in the new one.

Its hard to make bucks off a truck like this -- its better when you can just build it for your personal use and pleasure and keep for a few years

No matter how much you spend on the exterior, nobody will pay premium coin for a ride with a spray-bombed frame, front drums and jury-rigged coils (front drums are okay on a 100 point restoration, but other than something like that, many people look at them as a negative)
I appreciate that input. I actually will be paying much less than the 5-6K for the body work. I will be doing a good amount of it myself. That is just the quote the guy gave me for fair market value on the work. He is the PO of the truck and really wants to see it finished/have a part in it.

So, i am thinking more and more that for me or the next owner that changing out the springs is a must. Guess i'll start looking for deals on drop springs, shock relocators, shocks, and a rear track bar.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

I definitely didn't pick this truck up to try to sell for a profit. I thought the truck was in better shape when i first saw it but honestly still think i got a decent deal on it. The more i read on here and research online, the more i have decided on a short bed and have learned what to look for in trucks. I just really have a great opportunity on a 67 shortbed and know that truck can be made into something special that i can enjoy for years and then sell for a good price if i ever needed to.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
HoupPhotography

Your right, the prices are all over the place and it does come down to timing.

I highly disagree that you won't get more than 8K for a restored or rebuilt long bed reagrdless of timing. I'm sure there are a few people on this board that would buy it for 8K after you do all the work. There is to much speculation and reader personal interest to guess at what a potential value could bring even with an "estiamted" cost and parts list.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Just messin around ... Got hooked on making these, lol
Attached Images

CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks for all the input and humor.

So....i'm guessing i should go ahead and put new drop springs and shocks in

But should i relocate the gas tank or just keep the stock tank (which looks brand new) Any opinions on that? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
va_tlc

i think when you get it finished and it does turn out like the blue 1, youll be keeping it, my thoughts are youll have alot more in it when your done then you thought, im sure that has happened to just about everyone whos built a truck,

2006gt

1972swb4x4
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
cdowns

figure about a third to a half of what you've got into it as a real world price
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
Your right, the prices are all over the place and it does come down to timing.

I highly disagree that you won't get more than 8K for a restored or rebuilt long bed reagrdless of timing. I'm sure there are a few people on this board that would buy it for 8K after you do all the work. .

There's nothing against longbeds --- or shortbeds either, -- here are 2 great trucks below that have been for sale for a while. One is a preserved stocker, the other is a resto mod.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=2269&cat=12

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=2195&cat=12

The truck in the photograph above (the trick blue one) is a 20,000$ truck that probably cost $30,000 to build

There are a few builders out there that can make money off a truck, but they are the exception rather than the rule, and if we put the calculator to it and find out we are $200 or $300 over what our long receipts list totals up to be, thats good ------ until you factor in the 4 - 500 hours or more of your own time that went into it.

500 hours of time at -- say $20 an hour (bodyshops start at $50) is $10,000 extra dollars

Thats time and expense thats better put into building what you want

Secrest out

Old 05-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
VA72C10
VA72C10

I've kept a spreadsheet of the receipts and it's not bad so far with another 1000-1500 in parts needed to get it where it will be a really nice truck. I guess the main thing i'm trying to find out now is whether to spend about 500 on a drop kit or try to find cheap stock springs. I am going to finish this and try to sell it and if it doesn't i'll keep it and drive it. It will cost me about 2500 (plus a lot of hours like you said) to finish the truck. I have already paid for all the paint supplies, body panels needed, interior other than carpet, and gaskets, lenses, etc. Just got to do the work now and see what happens...

Any advice on the springs?

What about the wheels....painted rally's to match truck, keep black, or put some 15" or 16" craigslist or ebay chrome ones i find cheap on there for the bling factor?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #16
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
I think you picked the wrong project if you want to sell it for anything significant.
That's also why i am looking at a 67 SWB with a great bed, all new suspension, 5 lug conversion, good drop components, great sheet metal, and disc fronts to start from. That, and the more pictures i've seen and the more i've read on here, the more i love those trucks.

As i said before, it was always my intention to build this truck the way i wanted to and keep it as a driver/hauler/weekend cruiser, but i REALLY want this 67 and can't justify or afford having 2 projects. Plus, the 67 is a MUCH better starting point with a higher possible value in the end.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
figure about a third to a half of what you've got into it as a real world price
Unless you get good deals on parts and do your own work. I've been following a build on here where a guy who owns a body shop has 3500 into a short bed resto that's worth at least 10-12 on ebay....
Old 05-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #18
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post

Any advice on the springs?

What about the wheels....painted rally's to match truck, keep black, or put some 15" or 16" craigslist or ebay chrome ones i find cheap on there for the bling factor?

I would just buy new ones --- you can cut the old ones, but there is a flat spot on the end of the spring that has to be replicated for a cut spring to ride right (without making popping or grinding sounds when you turn)-- to do this , you have to heat the tip cherry red and beat it with a hammer until its flat -- even then it will have a higher spring rate than a replacement lowering spring ---- once your done with all this --- that $200 set of springs looks like a better deal

As for wheels -- i, personally would try to match the wheels to the theme of the truck. Rallys look good on everything, if the build is racing oriented, i would look into some Pro-Stars or Drag lites,--- if your build is a resto mod (like 90% of the trucks on here)-- the torq thrust wheels and similar 5 spoke wheels are a great, safe choice, --- if you plan to bag it someday, some big 20's would look good.

Nowadays if i was buying a new set, and based on what i've seen on the board and at shows, i'd go for 18's rather than 15 or 16's. Tires are down in price to a reasonable level now and they fill up the wheel wells without being too much,