The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Wvgearhead

Brake setup for Manual Trans

I am trying to figure out what power break setup to go with on my truck that would work well with manual transmission. The under dash is clean looking but I would like to have AC, and windshield wipers. Not sure about the under cab with a clutch pedal also. Does anybody have any comments or pictures to give me some ideas. The truck will lay the running boards close to an 1" when aired out.
350/T-56
Wvgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Brake setup for Manual Trans

Most of the under frame ones in the builds here are in conjunction with auto transmissions which are much larger than your T-56. You just need to make sure you get it high enough it does not bottom out and use backflow fittings in the lines since the caliper/wheel cylinders could be below the master cylinder when its aired out.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Wvgearhead

Thanks orrieG
What clutch pedal setup works good with the under floor setups? I found a tci universal clutch power brake under floor combination. Has anybody tried to fit one of these under their truck? They are a little pricey but maybe worth it if it will fit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
mknittle

I gave up on a frame mounted brake clutch pedal set up and built a swinging setup from a Buick skylark/chevelle and some misc. parts

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
OrrieG

I'm running an auto so I did not have to deal with the clutch. Everything I have ever done has been stock or beefed up stock mechanical set ups. I kept all my original pedal and hardware in case I ever decide to go back to a manual trans.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Wvgearhead

Anybody got any pics of there setup? Whether it be a modified, stock or store bought.
Or can direct me to a specific build.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvgearhead View Post
Anybody got any pics of there setup? Whether it be a modified, stock or store bought.
Or can direct me to a specific build.
Posted via Mobile Device
mine isn't done yet but I will stick it together and take a couple pics.

My GMC build.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
mine isn't done yet but I will stick it together and take a couple pics.
sorry I forgot today I will do it tomorrow

My GMC build.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Wvgearhead

Thanks man, any help would be appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
nacho55

Here is a couple bad cell phone pics, I didnt take any when I was putting it together, the last pic is before i did the final tweeking now they sit even and in line,
I started with a early 90's s-10 pedal set up, and lengthened both of the pedals, i wasnt happy with the way the clutch pedal sat or the linkage i was going to have to come up with to hook up my clutch master, so back to the junkyard I went and grabed a brake pedal from a late model full size, and built on to the side for the clutch pedal, I am still not 100% happy with the setup but it looks ok and the pedals are now even and sit level with each other the way I like it, if i was to do it over i would try to find one from a late 70's square body with a manual trans and see if you could make that work, that way the pedals are already long enough if you want to mount it up high like i did to hide it,
Attached Images

nacho55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
mknittle

Rats! I started to do that this morning and the phone rang.It was my dad, he had a trailer axle brake on the log dolly. The spindle broke where it is welded to the tube. A guy in a jeep found the tires wheels and brake drum with the spindle laying against a bank about a mile from where he stopped.

My GMC build.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
Wvgearhead

Thanks for the pics nacho! Did you go with a firewall(late model style booster master cylinder)?
Good thing nobody took a wheel through the windshield! I had one come off the boat trailer this summer running about 80. Luckily it just ran down the median wall and stopped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
nacho55

Quote:
Thanks for the pics nacho! Did you go with a firewall(late model style booster master cylinder)?
Good thing nobody took a wheel through the windshield! I had one come off the boat trailer this summer running about 80. Luckily it just ran down the median wall and stopped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes the brake booster and MC is off of a 90's s-10 i cut the end off of the push rod and threaded it and put a 3/8" hiem joint to mount it to the pedal, same on the clutch rod, the clutch MC is a CNC brand that i bought at a off-road shop that builds offroad race trucks, i told him what i was running and he said it should be fine for the clutch, it was ether a 7/8" bore or 3/4", i cant remember, here is a shot of the Firewall, Hope it helps,
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
mknittle

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
he was pulling a hill at about 25 mph on a narrow mountain road carrying about 50,000 pounds of logs.he said he didn't feel anything when it broke.
Attached Images

My GMC build.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
Wvgearhead

Thanks Nacho! Those pics definately gives me an option.
I would like to see some picks of electric after market wiper with the linkage and a a/c unit under the dash. How tight is it under there with all that. I would like to eventually have all of that crammed under there. I would hate to get a set up and find out later that I would have to change it. Can anybody share some pics or point in the direction of where to find any?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
mknittle

Ok back to where I started, The brace is from a 70 Buick that I widened and added the bushing retainers off a 70s Chevy caprice. The brake pedal is caprice that I drilled out to 1" and welded a piece of dom tube that we had laying around that the ID just happened to fit the stock bushings { I wonder what the chances of that are} The part in the middle is where the brake push rod will go.that allowed the brake pedal to clear the steering column on the right side with out too big of a bend. i don't have the master cylinder yet so it can't be welded. The clutch pedal is Part Chevy so the bottom where the pads are match the brake. the top is 3/8 x 1 1/4 flat stock. the metal pads are stock 52 GMC so I can use the stock rubber pads.

I am going to use a hydro boost for the master cylinder to save space.

P.S. The clutch pedal cant be finished until I get the floor done and get a bell crank.that will work{hopefully without major surgery}
Attached Images

My GMC build.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
nacho55

Mk, I like what you your doing with yours, looks like good way to keep from having all the bends in the pedals.
And Wv, right now there is plenty or room for the stock wiper linkage, I've yet to tackle that elec motor step but there is a lot of room around the brackets I've made, and if I get to a point of running air ducts I still think there is room to go over the top of the mount on the firewall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
mknittle

Thanks nacho,
With the bends in mind and a pile of old parts. it started out like a puzzle with too many pieces.lol It matches my steering column.

My GMC build.