The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Bonechip67

Measuring for a sub swap, ideas??

Getting ready to do a 73 Nova sub frame swap on my 53. What is the best place to measure from on the frame to get the right length. I know center of axle to center of spindle, but where else could i measure to make sure its the same on both sides? What have you used?? Thanks
Bonechip67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Houston54

Re: Measuring for a sub swap, ideas??

There is a good thread on here somewhere describing the process of a 2nd gen camaro sub to a 55-59 frame. The same process could be used for your swap. However if the 73 is a front steer subframe it is not the best option for your 53 if you are planning to drop the ride height significantly. There are also many threads on here discussing that also. If the 73 is a rear steer then you have to just read up on how this type of swap is done and dive in. However IF you do not have good fabrication/welding skills you might want to enlist a professional to ensure the results are square and safe. Good luck
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
mknittle

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/cl...aro/index.html

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/#tranny

lots of neat stuff here. Ignore the word tranny, the page is the tech tips index.

Mark

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonechip67 View Post
Getting ready to do a 73 Nova sub frame swap on my 53. What is the best place to measure from on the frame to get the right length. I know center of axle to center of spindle, but where else could i measure to make sure its the same on both sides? What have you used?? Thanks
measure across the frame in an X to a hole or rivet that you know is in the same location on the frame rails. there a are also reference holes on the sub frame.
the first thing I did was make every thing is square{within 1/8"} before i cut anything. the next thing was to tack a piece of something straight across the sub fame. parallel to axle center line. and the frame. that makes it easy for future measurements so be sure it is square!!!!

My GMC build.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
mknittle

this may help
Attached Images

My GMC build.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Bonechip67

Thanks for the info guys. There already is a sub welded on to my frame, but im redoing it the way where the sub lays under the frame. One to lower it some and 2, i think it looks better and stronger. It already has a rear end swap done on it as well so im trying to find solid stuff to measure from since the front rear shackles are in a different place due to the rear end install and the front having a stub put on it. Started out measuring from the rear shackle to a set of rivits on both frame rails. then to the top of the shock bolt. Looks like maybe 1/2 diff. from driver to pass side. I havent cut it apart yet, but think I will go with this method to get it mocked up, the triple check before final welding. I know its something like 114.5 inchs from center rear hub to center spindle, but if you have the spindle turned slightly if if the upper a arm has been shimmed quite a bit, the measurements maybe off a tad.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Houston54

The stock wheelbase is 116 inches and to center the rear wheel in the fender you need to move the rear axle rearward 3 inches so your final wheelbase should be 119.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
55dude

post some pictures you might just have a good clip installed already. better set the static height before the install because "too low" is really a pain to drive and to raise up correctly. over the years i have driven many AD trucks that were clipped and were done wrong causing many issues, try getting out of a driveway with any angle on it, ooops there goes all the crome on those brand new big dollar bumpers!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
Bonechip67

So Houston, the overall wheel base will be 119 instead of 116? Dont think I have heard of that?..
Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonechip67 View Post
So Houston, the overall wheel base will be 119 instead of 116? Dont think I have heard of that?..
don't go by wheelbase alone.the stock rear ends are an inch or so too far forward of the centers of the fenders on the AD trucks.and if somebody changed the rear end you may or may not be in the stock position.

My GMC build.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54 View Post
The stock wheelbase is 116 inches and to center the rear wheel in the fender you need to move the rear axle rearward 3 inches so your final wheelbase should be 119.
not all are the same we have 4 1/2 tons counting mine and they range from 1 1/4"
to 2 1/2" forward of center of the fenders so using a wheel base measurement can get you in to trouble.remember every inch you add to the front subtracts an inch in the back of the wheel opening.

My GMC build.