The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
jocko

VERY cool 54 on ebay

not mine. Grand Nat'l engine, vette susp, "weathered" paint look...
Whatever floats your boat, but looks like a killer combo. I dig this thing. Surprised he didn't have a higher "starting bid" - folks will probably swim around the low numbers for days before they ever even get remotely close to the reserve for this thing. Dunno, but I'm guessing it can't be cheap (I mean inexpensive, that is) - but if it's what you're looking for, you probably couldn't duplicate it for even close to what he's selling it for. I think it is way cool. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-...b0bdd2e2#v4-42
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
meter swinger

Re: VERY cool 54 on ebay

Cool
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Leroy-B1

the owner is a board member
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
lowdownstar
big guy

I saw that truck in the back ground of him selling a different car on E-bay last month, and thought it looked cool.

Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
jocko

And by the way, belay my comment about a low starting bid... I checked back a little later and it had shot way up to a much more appropriate higher price - so, folks didn't linger long with ankle biter bids, they saw this truck was cool and worth some $$ quickly.... Really like the way this truck was built, wish I had a place to put it!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
mr48chev

A low starting bid doesn't have anything to do with the reserve price. But it lowers the insertion price and it gets guys to bidding.

I guess I am getting old and I am but I will never be able to figure out why guys actually thing worn out crusty paint looks good. I like to buy projects with tired original paint because It means that there isn't crappy body work under it but it gets sanded off and slicked out real quick when I start on the truck.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
jocko

thanks mr48 - completely understand the diff between starting bid and reserve, they are completely unrelated. Only point was that SOMEtimes folks keep bidding $10 more and then $10 more, etc. I guess it can give an appearance of "lots of interest" if many folks bid well below the reserve unknowingly, so in that respect, I think you make a good point - it's a pretty sound ebay strategy. But the other side of the coin is that sometimes a seller can reduce the bidders to those that are serious more quickly with a starting bid that is closer to the reserve and lets folks know that a $20K truck, for example, won't be sold fr $350. Each is a decent ebay strategy, and I guess that is the beauty of ebay, allows the seller to do it how he sees fit. But I think you're right, the low start bid to generate interest is a good approach. In the end, the quality of the truck will carry the day! And this one is gonna carry it a long way.

As for crusty paint. I'm not sure whether this one is crusty original or crusty fauxtina (and if it is faux tina, then it's done well because it IS hard to tell, personally I think it's either a very well done fade job or it's actually original) - but I think it looks pretty good. Now I've had my share of quests for the perfect shiny paint job, and I like a nice shiny restored AD truck as well - but there IS something about the AD trucks in particular that lends itself to looking darn good with just old faded paint - and left that way as the final finish. They just still look good to me. And a bonus for me (personally) is that being a bit nit-picky about paint finishes myself, I find it a bit "freeing" to be able to like the old faded non-perfect paint on these trucks because then I can focus on the mechanicals - a key thing for someone with limited time. It's like a truck "sleeper", if you will, to me. More importantly, with the old faded finishes, it is much more of a driver in my mind.

BUT, that's just me(!) to each his own, and everyone has different tastes, and it's all good. Having been a long-time shiny paint kinda guy, I enjoy the old faded look of an original with restored interior and internals, eng, frame, etc etc. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age - or more "seasoned" I like to think. Or maybe just full of crap, and I'm ok with that!

Last edited by jocko; 11-13-2011 at 11:19 AM.