The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
ryoung415

No start after a new battery and starter

Ok, when I bought my truck ('87 lwb) the speedo wasn't working. I determined it was the speedo gear had walked down the shaft in the transmission. I got that fixed and replaced the carrier bearing as it was shot and got it all back together. I tried to fire it up afterward and the motor would turn over, but not fire. I noticed the throttle body was dry and the injectors weren't firing. So looking at this forum, I thought it might be the ecm isn't getting a pulse from the distributor and a few folks suggested just holding down the key and let it go and it might start. So I tried that and it didn't work. Frustrated, I decided to replace my tank selector switch in the cab because it was something I could fix. I tried to crank it again after I replaced the switch and it fired right up. It was idling like it was running wide open, so I killed it and tried to refire it, but the only thing I got sounded like the starter was engaging, but didn't have the power to turn the motor over. So I have replaced the battery with a brand new one, replaced the starter with a reman from autozone, and made sure the battery has at least 12v. But even with all of that, it still just makes a ticking sound when I try to crank it like before I replaced the battery and starter. A friend suggested it could be bad teeth on the flywheel and to try to rotate the motor by hand a little to see if it helped. I just tried that, but I could't get the motor to budge at all, not that I had the best leverage considering where the bolt on the crank pulley is. So my questions are, how hard should it be to manually rotate the engine (I'm really new at working on vehicles), and what could my no start issue be? Thanks for any suggestions.
ryoung415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Pop's C-10

Re: No start after a new battery and starter

you should be able to do it with only a socket on tha crank & a 3/8 ratchet..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
hatzie

Engine should rotate pretty easy up to the compression part of the stroke then get stiffer but you still should be able to rotate it with a 18" ratchet...

Is the starter making a clank and no more noise or just ticking? Ticking means you aren't getting enough Amps to the starter.
Is the ground cable tight on the alternator bracket?
Is the battery cable tight on the starter? It's a soft stud so don't tighten it much more than 20ft/lbs.
Do the battery cables get hot?
Are the battery cables old...? They can get badly corroded under the insulation and still appear to be OK.

I'm not trying to be rude but your post is a little hard to read because it's one paragraph of text. Try breaking em up a little for readability.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
ryoung415

Sorry about the formatting, it was almost a stream of consciousness to remember what all I've done and tried.

The good news is I did manage to finally get the motor to turn with a wrench on the crank pulley. It didn't make a difference though, so either the starter isn't in just right or all my teeth on my flywheel are shot, lol! I'm going to try shimming the starter and see if that makes any difference.

The original starter didn't have any shims at all. What would be a good thickness of shims to start with?
ryoung415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
SCOTI

Ticking/clicking usually indicates a bad or loose connection. Check all the batt cable terminations. POS @ batt; POS @ starter. NEG @ batt; NEG @ engine/frame; NEG @ core support/fender. I'd eliminate that before suspecting/investigating the flywheel or shimming the starter.

Batt should also have close to 13volts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
tylervalo

I didn't read anything, but my gut instinct is a bad ground.
tylervalo is offline   Reply With Quote