The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What's the deal with cutting the firewall for new fuse panels?

I'm looking at new wiring from perhaps M&H or American Auto wire.......Thing is, I saw a video on American Auto wire's "Classic" I think it's called, and them dudes had to cut the firewall.....What the?

That leaves me pondering what happens if it's a piece of junk, or someday perhaps when I'm long gone, it needs to be replaced. And there's yet another reason to cut the firewall or worse weld it up for a smaller cut. Yeah I might be paranoid. Doesn't bode well for a restoration.

I saw their fuse boxes use plastic fuses as well. Bummer..Ha!.....Alright so they're more convenient, but still.

Any input appreciated.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:28 AM   #2
Jcfcamaro

Re: What's the deal with cutting the firewall for new fuse panels?

AAW has different packages. I believe they still make plug and play harness. It will be exactly like factory with all the correct plugs. I used one of there kits on my 67 camaro. All the plugs were exactly the same and fit like a glove. I think you was looking at one of there update kits which uses the newer fuses.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:45 AM   #3
Jcfcamaro

Just got on there web. You was on the classic series and need to be on the Factory /Oem. They also will change the hot wire for either coil or a Hei distributor for you. And also a internal or external regulated alternator. I highly recommend them. And would call and tell them what your wanting to do. It will look just like a factory harness all wrapped up. Just plug it all together.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
tristan

It is the same deal on Painless harnesses, the original firewall fuse block opening had to be trimmed bigger to fit the new block. The old block lasted nearly 50 years so some HFO (Happy Future Owner) can worry about fitting the next one.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I would only buy a new system made specifically for my truck, which means "Made to fit". I don't hack my truck so someone can sell me a half-assed part.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-10-2017 at 06:19 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
Just got on there web. You was on the classic series and need to be on the Factory /Oem. They also will change the hot wire for either coil or a Hei distributor for you. And also a internal or external regulated alternator. I highly recommend them. And would call and tell them what your wanting to do. It will look just like a factory harness all wrapped up. Just plug it all together.
That's exactly what I'm looking for.................Thank you
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 03-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
djeCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I would only buy a new system made specifically for my truck, which means to mean "Made to fit". I don't hack my truck so someone can sell me a half-assed part.
I don't think I would call AAW's parts 'half-assed', that's kind of harsh. Original? No, so if that's what the O.P. is looking for they have that option as well. I recently installed the Classic Upgrade system on my truck and was super happy with the results. This was my first full wiring project and it came out near perfect with very little troubleshooting required. Yes, I had to trim the opening for the fuse block, but I did it in a very workmanlike way, not hacked at all. The nice thing is that there are options from a number of suppliers to do just about anything you want. That's my opinion, your mileage may vary.
djeCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
davepl

I'm sure I've had some AAW stuff along the way too, but I should throw out some love for M&H, since I remember being very impressed with their harness. Fit the firewall (both sides) perfectly, appeared just like stock and worked perfectly.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #9
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I agree, M&H is also top tier for factory look and function.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:20 AM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

One of the reasons for having to enlarge the hole is many of the "upgrade" harnesses are much larger, having many more circuits than the stock ones did. You can only stuff some much wire in the stock cutout. Thankfully there is lots of room on our trucks and it easy to do. Try upgrading a 69 Camaro with a larger fuse box. More than the firewall has to be modified.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I'm sure I've had some AAW stuff along the way too, but I should throw out some love for M&H, since I remember being very impressed with their harness. Fit the firewall (both sides) perfectly, appeared just like stock and worked perfectly.
Wes is under the opinion they're equal. Might depend on the type. Sounds like all the connectors are what I understand are "56 Series". They're simple to work with. I've yet to crimp a spade on, because I've just used insulated to this point. I've never soldered either, ha!...............Speak of soldering and even HEI, and even TCS:
  1. Are these kits soldered like the old ones in the engine compartment?
  2. How is HEI set-up? Seems a spare wire for IGN. UNFUSED, or a wire off the firewall block.
  3. Can you order them without TCS? That said, the tuff question might be, you figure some States require the TCS for registration? Not that I'll ever move. CC doesn't even require smog. They will though, you can count on that as Ca. sweeps in.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
davepl

M&H offers a number of custom options - I ordered mine with HEI integrated into the harness, so it doesn't plug into IGN UNFUSED (it might behind the scenes). Not sure about TCS.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote