The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
RLONG

Bias mixed with radial

I HAVE FOUR 38/15/15 THE FRONT ONES ARE ALMOST WORE OUT THE BACK STILL LIKE NEW. I NEED TO LINE THE FRONTEND UP I AM SURE THIS IS THE PROBLEM. QUESTION IS CAN YOU PUT TWO NEW RADIALS ON WITH THE OTHER TWO BIASED TIRES WITH NO PROBLEMS? I know with car tires it is not recommended. Has any one done this.
RLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Re: Bias mixed with radial

this is not an ideal situation....And I don't recommend it for an extended period. but I have run radials in the front and bias in the rear with no problems. The other way around is very dangerous.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
RLONG

Thanks that is what i planned then later change the rear to radial also. These tires cost to much to buy all four at once. I mainly drive slow speeds on dirt roads 75% of the time and 25% highway. Thanks for the answer i did not remember which way was safe for sure but it makes sense.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
dirty trucker

I may have missed the point somewhere.... But why would it really matter if their bias or radial?? Or why would it matter the position?? People run bias ply in all 4 positions at once... Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have to be missing the point somewhere...
dirty trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
cparman
sharp as a marble

sidewalls move at different rates ( bias vs radial ) this was a big topic of discussion back in the 80's. Made cars drive very bad, and not stable at any speed. Dont recommend it, and think it would be unsafe.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty trucker View Post
I may have missed the point somewhere.... But why would it really matter if their bias or radial?? Or why would it matter the position?? People run bias ply in all 4 positions at once... Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have to be missing the point somewhere...
It's because of the tire design. bias ply run at a 45 degree angle to the center line of the tread. alternating in direction to each other. basically crisscrossed or 90 degrees to each other. Radial tires run 90 degrees to the center line of the tire and basically overlap instead of the crisscross pattern. This allows the side walls of the tire to be more “flexible” which provides less rolling resistance, provides better gas mileage, and longer tread life. This “flex” also promotes better adherence to the road, thus better handling on both wet and dry surfaces. Bias in all for positions is ok. Mixing is not ideal. you absolutely DO NOT want to run bias in front and radial rear. But as I said before I've run bias in the rear and radial in the front before with out issues. But it is not recommended. which I should have added.

Personally, If it were me and I could only afford 2 new radial tires( 38x15x15=expensive)I would buy 4 good used. I keep my eye on the used tire market in my area and just scored a 1 year old set of 235/85/16 I got five of them $100.00 on craigslist. so deals are out there.

Thinking about the size of the tire now I probably wouldn't recommend mixing tires with such a large truck.

Last edited by RED72blazer; 06-01-2009 at 07:49 PM.
RED72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLONG View Post
THE FRONT ONES ARE ALMOST WORE OUT THE BACK STILL LIKE NEW. I NEED TO LINE THE FRONTEND UP I AM SURE THIS IS THE PROBLEM. .
What does the wear look like on your tires? There isn't a ton of adjustment in the front ends of these trucks.Are your tires wearing abnormally on the inner or outer edge? If so I would be willing to bet you need some items replaced in your front-end. If they are just plain worn all the way down bald, I have to ask, did you ever rotate the tires?

Last edited by RED72blazer; 06-01-2009 at 08:04 PM.
RED72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
dirty trucker

RED72BLAZER

Thanks for the schooling... I have never heard that explained before. Learn something new everyday
dirty trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
RLONG

The front end is tight replaced balls etc. Did not rotate the fronts they are wearing two to three times faster than the rear but they are wearing even all the way across for the most part. Its has been a long time since i ran Bias the last time was about 25 years ago had some 38.5 on a 72 surbarban did not notice the fronts wearing as fast as these are. It might just be the GROUNDHAWGS the ithers were mudders.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

sounds like they just needed to be rotated. In my experience these short wheel base trucks/blazers really "plow" through the front end. Meaning they wear very quickly on the front if not rotated. this happens because of the way the weight transfers while braking or turning. I personally rotate my tires at every oil change. good luck.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
RLONG

To late seems like when i noticed the wear it was to late.i still may rotate front to back to more miles on these biased.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

yeah, you really just need to rotate from the start. at least you know now for future sets of tires.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
RLONG

I plan on going with radials bias is a rough ride i will rotate them for sure then.