The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
c10Mang

insurance inspection

I have to take my ride over to my insurance inspector. Do you any of you know what the requirements are? Should I get a piece of plywood to cover up the bags??

Thanks
c10Mang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Re: insurance inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10Mang View Post
I have to take my ride over to my insurance inspector. Do you any of you know what the requirements are? Should I get a piece of plywood to cover up the bags??

Thanks
Mostly they're looking for any pre-existing damage, or anything that would make it "unsafe" or more of an insurance risk. Air suspension shouldn't be a problem, but I would make sure there aren't any cracks in the windshield, and all the lights are there. Other than that you should be good.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
c10Mang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer1979 View Post
Mostly they're looking for any pre-existing damage, or anything that would make it "unsafe" or more of an insurance risk. Air suspension shouldn't be a problem, but I would make sure there aren't any cracks in the windshield, and all the lights are there. Other than that you should be good.

Cool!! Thanks!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
andyh1956

if you want the best rate, don't run over your agent's foot with your truck. just don't ask, it's still painfully embarrassing after all these years.
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #5
c10Mang

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
if you want the best rate, don't run over your agent's foot with your truck. just don't ask, it's still painfully embarrassing after all these years.
andy
HAHA!! Maybe I should show him how low it goes.. and make sure his feet are under the rockers.. That would be bad..
Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

I have insured several '60-'66 Chevy trucks and never had to take one in for a physical inspection. They have required several good photos, documenting the condition of the truck, but never in person. Also, I have always been instructed, that they want to insure it after it is complete, in the case of a restoration, so they can see the finished product of what they are insuring.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
jonathan-m

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
I have insured several '60-'66 Chevy trucks and never had to take one in for a physical inspection. They have required several good photos, documenting the condition of the truck, but never in person. Also, I have always been instructed, that they want to insure it after it is complete, in the case of a restoration, so they can see the finished product of what they are insuring.

I'm going through this process as well, and thats what they told me.. they want to insure it when complete. The only problem I have is, what do they consider complete? My truck is complete to me, in that is is in presentable condition with no major rust and is road worthy. Its not show worthy though, there are dents and dings, and my bed is not the same color as the cab, etc. etc. But these are not things that I am going to be repairing in the forceable future. To me, they are signs of a well used truck that I have no problems leaving as they are. I just wonder if the insurance company will agree.....

I'm going to take it in anyway, but I have my doubts as to whether they will accept it for the classic vehicle insurance rate. a ten dollar a month rate would be great though....
Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
LILRED66
Account Suspended

In most cases, I think they mean ready to register, license and drive, but in the case of a restoration, they want it complete, so they know what they are insuring and, in the case of a claim, what they are repairing or replacing. When I have a restored truck insured, I get a "stated-value" policy, so they are insuring what I need to get out of it, if the building falls in on it or it is stolen. In some casese, a "stated-value" policy on a restored vehicle, falls under the classsic auto category and there are restrictions placed on the vehicle, like annual mileage limits, storage requirements and how it can be used, like parades, promotions, shows, cruises and other classic auto functions.

In any event, you don't want to play games with the process, like increasing the "stated-value" of a vehicle, that is not worth that much. An current and accurate appraisal is a good thing to have as a "safe-second", in case something catastrophic occurs, you have some support documentation. Also, a good photo record, is helpful, along with receipts.

Insurance is for the unexpected, so being prepared, by supporting your position, if something does happen, is vital. Procrastinating with this is not adviseable because you don't want to get in a bad position and find yourself saying, "I wish I would have had that stuff together in my file".

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-09-2010 at 09:34 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
T/C

I got accepted for my 1970 GMC .. Then 2 days later they randomly decided they didn't want to insure me any more and said i could just have all my money back... Would not give me a reason why or anything..

My trucks painted and running and everything but like anyone else i am always doing something to it..

So I get to pay 700 every 6 months and not 300 a year... Will try again next year maybe it had to do with me being 21
T/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Slow Build

I've had insurance companies ask if the frame has been altered. I wouldn't think they would be too interested in insuring a vehicle with a Z'ed frame without a full inspection.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
burbguy

I have state farm here in calif and they have had me bring my vehicles down to there office for an inspection as well. What they want is to see if first of all you have a vehicle that is the same as the one on your policy, and second of all to make sure that there isn't any previous damage that you might try to push thru against your policy. Now from my previous experiences, and it depends upon your agent, mine just walked out of his office, made a sweep around my truck (all while talking about his golf game), and meandered back to his office. He didn't even open the hood, or look in the interior...

I wouldn't worry about your upcoming inspection...

1966 short fleet 230 I-6 three in the tree (daily driver)
1966 short fleet big block th400 (building slowly)
1972 c10 3 door suburban 350 th350 (building faster than slowly)
2004 F250 power stroke (not dependable enough to be a daily driver)
2005 Kenworth T-800 Heavy Haul tractor (that's my true daily driver)
burbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
Russ65C10

This is an interesting discussion....

I have had AAA for my entire life as a driver. They covered my truck no problem, no inspections, nada. They won't give me collison on it, but other than that its just an other car on my policy.

I have to wonder if the issue has more to do with your insurance company's concern about modifications?
Russ65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote