The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
88lsiroc

1970 C/30 step want trailing arms!!!

Am I correct in assuming that I would either have to position a stock trailing arm cross member farther back to use stock trailing arms? Which would no doubt change where my carrier bearing is. Will a stock cross member fit a C/30 frame? I'm also just looking at making it all. I got hammers and torches. I'm not a run out and buy aftermarket kind of guy. Nuke1 built some simple cool arms. I just happen to have some ballistic joints from a Sammy rock crawler project.
88lsiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 1970 C/30 step want trailing arms!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88lsiroc View Post
Am I correct in assuming that I would either have to position a stock trailing arm cross member farther back to use stock trailing arms? Which would no doubt change where my carrier bearing is. Will a stock cross member fit a C/30 frame? I'm also just looking at making it all. I got hammers and torches. I'm not a run out and buy aftermarket kind of guy. Nuke1 built some simple cool arms. I just happen to have some ballistic joints from a Sammy rock crawler project.

I am not all that familiar with the C30's but I will give this a shot... What is the wheel base on your truck according to the SPID on the inside of the glove box door 127" or 133"? I don't know if there was any 127" wheel base C30's or not. The cross member that is in there now may have the provisions for the trailing arm brackets but as you indicate, wouldn't do any good if it is a 133" WB. If the wheel base is 133" could you possibly leave the original cross member in it for the carrier and put another cross member behind it for the trailing arms? I'm just thinking out loud here.... I haven't seen Nuke1's arms but maybe it would be easier to build some longer arms, there are a couple of good "how to" threads about it on here.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote