The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question 2 piece drive shaft to 1

Ok guy's I want to know if you have noticed any differances in noise from this swap?

Background:
I wear hearing aids in each ear so my hearing is not what it once was! That being said I need to know if what I'm hearing is just the harmonic's of the drive shaft as I was told buy the installer.

The truck drives fine the steering wheel is steady and no shaking at all. At about 75-80 though I can't stand the noise if I have my hearing aids in. Well if I take them out it's fine. That though doesn't answer the question. I want to know if there is a differant sound in your trucks since you swapped out the drive shaft's.
Thanks, not being able to hear sucks!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: 2 piece drive shaft to 1

I have never heard of that one? Driveshaft harmonics would cause a vibration, but I don't see how it could make noise......assuming no bad joints.

I have heard countless numbers of dry joints over the years, but that is not the shaft's fault. It is a maintenence issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I have never heard of that one? Driveshaft harmonics would cause a vibration, but I don't see how it could make noise......assuming no bad joints.

I have heard countless numbers of dry joints over the years, but that is not the shaft's fault. It is a maintenence issue.
This is all new stuff just installed 3-13-14 Thursday on my truck. I'm trying to tell if it's just a new sound with the new 1 peice shaft are is there something wrong with it. The installer say's it fine. I guess I need to get a rider with me and let them hear it and figure out what it is.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
FRANKENSTEINC10

I have. one piece in my long bed and I don't hear any noise. havent had over 40 yet. I was having a noise at first but noticed a busted exhaust hanger rubbing against. fixed it no noise. I agree that having another rider night help you figure out if there actually is a problem or if maybe just your hearing aids picking up the sound. good luck
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: 2 piece drive shaft to 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEINC10 View Post
I have. one piece in my long bed and I don't hear any noise. havent had over 40 yet. I was having a noise at first but noticed a busted exhaust hanger rubbing against. fixed it no noise. I agree that having another rider night help you figure out if there actually is a problem or if maybe just your hearing aids picking up the sound. good luck
This is my problem. I don't know if it's me are the truck. I was use to hearing my truck sound a certain way and noww it doesn't so I need to figure this out.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
FRANKENSTEINC10

exactly. my buddy had surgery on his ears and also wears hearing aids in both. he work with heavy machines and he said that before the surgery an hearing aid upgrade the sounds didn't bother him but now he can't stand them in while he works because he can hear every little noise.
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Keith Seymore

Maybe.

It wouldn't be noise from the U joints, because the frequency emitted by those (2nd order of shaft rotation) is not in the audible range.

However - sometimes a one piece shaft will transmit rear axle mesh frequencies through the air. It's perceived as axle whine, but you can hear it outside the vehicle rather than inside (the GMT400 trucks with a carbon fiber shaft were particularly bad about this). It will vary based on rear axle ratio but should be in the 370 hz range.

I have never heard of a steel shaft doing this but we've never discussed the hearing aid interaction either. (Maybe it's always been there but we didn't have 'bionic ears' to pick it up - lol)

Probably wouldn't be able to tell further without actual testing. But - the good news is you are not damaging anything so I wouldn't worry about it.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 2 piece drive shaft to 1

This is something I haven't really thought about. it could be the rear end winning. I have the 4:10 gears so running it at 70-80 MPH could be what I'm hearing.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Custom 68

Andy one thing to check would be your pinion, driveshaft and engine angles. I had started changing my rear suspension along with lowering it and the engine install and I had a bad pinion angle. I didn't feel bad or anything but I could hear a harmonic. I made sure my engine and transmission was correct to where I wanted it and finished my lowering and suspension upgrades then cut my perches off and fixed it. That noise went away. You might want to check that in case the shop did not.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Custom 68

I went and looked at your pictures again and you look to be ok as mine was obvious at the rear u-joint. You might still check it tho.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 2 piece drive shaft to 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
I went and looked at your pictures again and you look to be ok as mine was obvious at the rear u-joint. You might still check it tho.
Yes I need to check it out and see. I hope it's just these dang hearing aids!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: 2 piece drive shaft to 1

I called Carolina drive shaft who installed the new drive shaft. They said they were in tolerance on the angles. Per there install.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Andy, have a few truck/car friends either ride or drive your truck and see if they have any input on the noise. Of course, dont mention the issue before hand. I've had a few long beds with 1 piece drive shafts and never any weird noise. Don't have any idea about the hearing aids tho...are they High Performance models? ;-)
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Driveshafts can ring like a windchime at audible frequencies if they don't have insulation inside them. Many " driveshaft builders" don't stuff their shafts. To check your shaft you can wrap 5-10 layers of duct tape in the center of your shaft to see if the noise changes or goes away completely.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
Driveshafts can ring like a windchime at audible frequencies if they don't have insulation inside them. Many " driveshaft builders" don't stuff their shafts. To check your shaft you can wrap 5-10 layers of duct tape in the center of your shaft to see if the noise changes or goes away completely.
Good thought, Brad -

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Good thought, Brad -

K
I try

I figure between me and you we could figure out just about any driveline issue around here.

Any news?
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #17
Motoxrrar

I went with a one peice drive shaft. I went through 3 carrier bearings in a few years because of the vibrations so one peice eliminated that.
Motoxrrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #18
slikside

Quote:
Maybe.

It wouldn't be noise from the U joints, because the frequency emitted by those (2nd order of shaft rotation) is not in the audible range.

However - sometimes a one piece shaft will transmit rear axle mesh frequencies through the air. It's perceived as axle whine, but you can hear it outside the vehicle rather than inside (the GMT400 trucks with a carbon fiber shaft were particularly bad about this). It will vary based on rear axle ratio but should be in the 370 hz range.

I have never heard of a steel shaft doing this but we've never discussed the hearing aid interaction either. (Maybe it's always been there but we didn't have 'bionic ears' to pick it up - lol)

Probably wouldn't be able to tell further without actual testing. But - the good news is you are not damaging anything so I wouldn't worry about it.

K
Quote:
Quote:
Good thought, Brad -

K
Quote:
I try

I figure between me and you we could figure out just about any driveline issue around here.

Any news?
You two bring a lot of credibility to this site, and your opinions carry a lot of weight with me. All of us are lucky to have you guys around.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #19
brad_man_72
the boat guy

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxrrar View Post
I went with a one peice drive shaft. I went through 3 carrier bearings in a few years because of the vibrations so one peice eliminated that.
That's what happens when you don't ballance any driveshaft after changing things, they vibrate. If your one piece shaft wasn't ballanced it would tear up stuff also.

" You two bring a lot of credibility to this site, and your opinions carry a lot of weight with me. All of us are lucky to have you guys around."

Thank you slikslide, its nice to know my efforts are appreciated.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: 2 piece drive shaft to 1

I'm headed out to the garage and wrap it a few times with tape and see how it does going to the beach. Just in the middle of the shaft right.
Thanks I will report once I drive it again. I have been cleaning it up good for the show so I haven't driven it since last saturday. It's been raining.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I'm headed out to the garage and wrap it a few times with tape and see how it does going to the beach. Just in the middle of the shaft right.
Thanks I will report once I drive it again. I have been cleaning it up good for the show so I haven't driven it since last saturday. It's been raining.
Yeah, the middle would be the single most effective place. Make sure to get the tape thick.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 2 piece drive shaft to 1

Well I thught I was going out to the garage. Wife wanted me to help move furniture in the spare bedroom for painting tomorrow. I do it tomorrow night when I get home.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #23
Acorn

Andy, are your hearing aids new? Just wondering if you are still getting used to them. My dad went completely deaf 5 years ago and had to get a cochlear implant and he is constantly trying to learn new sounds and tones. He is always asking me to come over and listine to a tractor or chainsaw he worked on. It's weird because some times he can hear thing I can and some times not. I think it has to do with weather or not he is mentally fatigued or not. I know most people don't understand how much work and how mentaly draining it is for someone with implants or aids just to have a conversation yet alone try to work on stuff.
Everyone has givin some great advice on this thread! (That's why I love this forum) I think one of the best things you should try would be well rested and find a rider. Preferably someone who has rode in your truck before. Or even someone from the driveshaft shop.
Can you put your old two piece back in for comparison. (For both you and your rider)?
Also, don't forget the little things. Like checking your fluids! (I say that because I've done that!)
Good luck and looking forward to hear what you find.
Acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #24
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 2 piece drive shaft to 1

Nope not new. I've had them about 5 years also. It really really sucks not being able to hear!

I don't have the old 2 peice shafts. They kept them which I had no use for them. I can have my buddy who helped me build the truck who is a mechanic by trade but the problem is I'm leaving for the beach either tonight are tomorrow for the car show in Myrtle Beach. I'll try the tape method as mentioned above and see if it changes the sound any.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
You two bring a lot of credibility to this site, and your opinions carry a lot of weight with me. All of us are lucky to have you guys around.
Thank you; it's hard to know how much to share and your comments help me (...us...) get that dialed in.

K
1986 - 2019