The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Sonoma10714

Project "Busted"

Hey guys, finally started doing a little work on my 1972 LWB. This is my first build in 10 yrs and my first classic truck. So, im sure I will be asking a lot of questions along the way. Also, this is my first Chevy! The body is in great shape and the frame is in even better shape. The factory black paint on the frame is still almost completely intact. There has been some body work done here and there. I plan on sanding off the bondo and welding the hole they drilled to pull out the dents, grind it down and paint the effected areas. Wish I could have found a pristine patina'd truck, but I didnt. So, needless to say im not trying to make this a show truck. I want to build a great driver. Im going to use rattle can stuff, primers and paint for the frame...dont judge me! I really want to powder coat it, but i dont have a trailer and truck. im also in the army so time is kinda tight between deployment prep, field time and the family.Now, the plans.

Front suspension
Porterbuilt coilover-powder coated

Wheels-I have a set of black 20x10 / 18x8 Boss 338s
295/45 and 245/45

Rear
Mild trailing arm coilover from PB-powder coated

Rear Axle- 12 bolt have yet to decide of gears

Frame-painted satin black

Motor-crate GM crate 350/290HP with upgraded cooling system
Transmision-Rebuilt Turbo 350

Brakes- Drop spindles, mini CPP booster and new stainless steel lines. Disc front and drum rear

The truck currently has no A/C or heat...that may or may not change depending on budget hahaha....

Interior-stripped down. Have the interior pained white with black bench seat. No dash pad or door panels. I will use sheet metal to cover the doors. Really thinking about putting in tan carpet and dash pad with the black seat and black instrument gauges. Maybe.

under carriage- stripped and undercoated to the best of my bility in my tiny garage.

now the photos!

I have already started cutting off the shock mount front the frame and grinding down some home made exhaust mount where the PO welded a bolt to the frame and zip tied a hangar. Also removed all the exhaust, the bed and interior.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sonoma10714; 03-11-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Sonoma10714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Sonoma10714

Re: Project "Busted"

Did a little bit of work today. Removed the hood, brake booster and master cylinder and some misc bolt to get ready to remove the front clip. Now I need to make a little dolly to put my cab on. My coil overs, new black boss 338 wheels and welder arrived! Pictures to follow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Sonoma10714

Re: Project "Busted"

I have made a little progress here and there..between being in the field with the Army and spending time with my terrorizing two yr old it is hard to find time for the ol' truck. Luckily I have a very understanding wife! Now on to the pictures. I have already received numerous parts..such as the Boss 338's, new trans X-member, gas tank and so forth...not just awaiting my porterbuilt front and rear coilover kit. Should be here by the end of April when I get out of the field. Then the mock up begins!
Attached Images