The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
DBear

Help on this part...

I have a '71 burb 4x4... and this part is just laying on the inner fender in front of the battery box. What is it, what is it's function and where should it be correctly mounted. Thought it might be some kind of vapor filter or some kind of filter. pls help.

Last edited by DBear; 03-20-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: forget to add pics
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
DBear

Re: Help on this part...

sorry about the first post....don't know what happened when I uploaded those pics..
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

Its a vacuum canister/charcoal canister. It is supposed to bolt to the fender there.

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Yes, like wancosc356 said, it the vacuum canister for your fuel. I had mine hooked up for a while but most remove/disable them.
I searched for a good picture of one installed but couldn't find one.....
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
Yes, like wancosc356 said, it the vacuum canister for your fuel. I had mine hooked up for a while but most remove/disable them.
I searched for a good picture of one installed but couldn't find one.....
s/t
so if I remove it what must I replace it with and how? was it a fuel filter of some sort? the tubes seem to be cut or unhooked.....where did the tubes actually hooked up originally. Was this factory or a factory option????
Old 03-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
vectorit
What?

The part is related to smog equipment to help with fuel vapor I think.
There are hoses that come off the fuel tank to that canister.
Check the top of the tank, usually next to where the fuel level sending unit or fill tube. You should see the bungs with or without the hoses still attached, if they are still attached just follow them to where they have been cut.
Personally I'd keep it in there and have it hooked up, since it is part of the original equipment and does nothing to hinder performance.
I have usually seen them installed under the battery tray.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
btullis99

it just sucks the gas smell out of the tank and helps keep the in cab gas fumes at bay, supposedly. just take it out and plug the line from the tank that used to run to it.
btullis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
so if I remove it what must I replace it with and how? was it a fuel filter of some sort? the tubes seem to be cut or unhooked.....where did the tubes actually hooked up originally. Was this factory or a factory option????
I just left the big hose hooked up, it's the one thats on the bottom and goes down towards the fuel line on your frame runs next to your fuel line to the tank. I removed the vacuum hoses that goes to the carburetor. I didn't like how the hoses was just hanging there and was concerned it would eventually rub the paint off my valve cover.

Here's a picture of the hoses coming from the top of the canister to the carb. I searched for a picture of the powder coated bracket & canister, but don't have one. It bolts with two bolts up in the fender behind the battery.

The larger hose is tied into the PVC line and pulls fumes from the canister. The smaller hose is connected to the port above. This is exactly how I removed it before and believe it's how it's done from factory. It's got a factory metal tee with some old style clamps and didn't look like it was ever changed/monkeyed with.
I also replaced the filler cap with a venting cap.
s/t

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 03-21-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
grs

Vectorit is correct. It is a smog control device. It stops gas vapor from going into the air.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
John H.

I agree it will not hurt performance. But, if you take it off, you MUST cap off the vent line that returns to the tank. If you fill the tank up and do not plug the hose, fuel will return up the vent hose and cause a fire.

Ask me how I know
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I agree it will not hurt performance. But, if you take it off, you MUST cap off the vent line that returns to the tank. If you fill the tank up and do not plug the hose, fuel will return up the vent hose and cause a fire.

Ask me how I know
John, are you talking about capping it off at the tank itself ( where the return line connects to the tank ) ????? or you talking about somewhere in the engine compartment.....please excuse my ignorance on this subject.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
John H.

Just plug it up on the rubber hose coming off the hard line that goes to the charcoal canister. Mine splashed a little fuel on the header and I needed to repaint the hood on my 69 Camaro in 1982.....
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post

Ask me how I know
Mine has been disconnected and not plugged for 20 + years with no fuel spray. This line is a vapor line only and should never have liquid fuel in it or it would destroy the vapor canister. I use a non vented gas cap and leave this line open to vent the fuel tank.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #14
wzuke

It is the gas vapor (not the liquid) which burns, so it is important to eliminate the vapor to avoid fire. To be safe, plug the line.
wzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #15
DBear

so on this picture....which is this rubber line supposed to go to....the tank or the ????
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #16
Bruce88

You have two options for the vapor canister remove it or use it.

1 to remove it
I would use a 3 or 4 inch peace of fuel hose with 1 inch peace of steal rod pushed in one end and two clamps (one for the rod and one for the fuel line into the tank) and cap off the fuel tank at the location noted below in the picture. The rest of the vent line out to the canister can be removed if desired. Very important is to change or make sure that your gas cap is a vented gas cap. If the gas cap isn’t vented and you cap the vent line you can starve the engine for gas do to creating a vacuum in the gas tank.

Name:  Vent.gif
Views: 274
Size:  25.2 KB

2 to keep it and use it
The canister is old and probably needs to be changed you should be able to get one at a auto parts store like NAPA if not LMC has one for sale in their catalog. As far as hooking up the lines see the pictures below. Again it’s important that you use a non vented gas cap for the system to work right if you are planning to use this vent system.

Name:  Vent-1.gif
Views: 215
Size:  98.5 KB
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
DBear

Bruce, thanks for the illustration...very helpful. I think I will go with the removal of the canister and a vented gas cap.