The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Hellbent
Don't blame the messenger

Billet Hood Hinge Anxiety

I’m trying to justify the outrageously high price tag for a set of these hinges. I’ve been watching them for months, more and more Vendors are selling them but the prices are not coming down. They look great but I really don’t have to have them... Thoughts? Good, Bad??

On the Level
Just a guy with a hammer and a grinder. OH!, and an HOA- enough said...: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372525
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge while others just gargle."
Hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
OregonNed

Re: Billet Hood Hinge Anxiety

They may or may not clear the stock heater box - heard of one fellow who couldn't use his.. no personal experience here, though.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
bill3rail

Do you absolutely need them? Be careful as our wants can sometimes overpower needs.
Yeah, they look sharp however do they open the hood any better than stock hinges?

Bill
Old 07-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
darrellyates

OK. I have some experience with these hinges. I bought a set off a vendor on this site. There are good points and bad...

The good: They are great at holding the hood alignment. With the stock hinges, over time, the rear of the hood appears to "lift" or raise from alignment with the cowl panel. This isn't because the hinges get out of adjustment, but that they seem to "spring" or change shape. I marked the alignment of the hinges, and the rear of the hood just seemed to continue to move over time. I do not have this issue with the Eddie Motorsport hinges. And, they look good. For me, that is of secondary importance, the alignment is the thing.

The bad: The hood doesn't open as "wide" as with the stock hinges. That is, the overall opening of the hood isn't as great. They don't have as much swing, or degree of movement. And, they are expensive. Those are the pro's and con's as I see them.

Check around. Porterbuilt has a nice set up but you have to weld it in. Lots of guys like that, I just like the billet better than that. (Plus, I didn't want to have to add a prop rod which was needed when I started my build.) Also, there are several manufacturers. Pricing may vary. Look for pieces from a project. I am sure that somewhere, there is a distressed set laying around. I didn't find them, but I didn't look very hard either (I was in a hurry.)

Good luck. I would use them again. I'm looking at those large hinges for a Gen 2 F Body, and thinking the billet hinges would likely hold the hood alignment better on that car as well. Will be making a decision shortly...
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Hellbent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonNed View Post
They may or may not clear the stock heater box - heard of one fellow who couldn't use his.. no personal experience here, though.
Good point, not an issue in my case. Stock heater is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
Do you absolutely need them? Be careful as our wants can sometimes overpower needs.
Yeah, they look sharp however do they open the hood any better than stock hinges?
No, I do not need them and in fact have a brand new set of stock hinges. I really just like the look and think they would compliment the build. Good question that is answered below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
OK. I have some experience with these hinges. I bought a set off a vendor on this site. There are good points and bad...

The good: They are great at holding the hood alignment. With the stock hinges, over time, the rear of the hood appears to "lift" or raise from alignment with the cowl panel. This isn't because the hinges get out of adjustment, but that they seem to "spring" or change shape. I marked the alignment of the hinges, and the rear of the hood just seemed to continue to move over time. I do not have this issue with the Eddie Motorsport hinges. And, they look good. For me, that is of secondary importance, the alignment is the thing.

The bad: The hood doesn't open as "wide" as with the stock hinges. That is, the overall opening of the hood isn't as great. They don't have as much swing, or degree of movement. And, they are expensive. Those are the pro's and con's as I see them.

Check around. Porterbuilt has a nice set up but you have to weld it in. Lots of guys like that, I just like the billet better than that. (Plus, I didn't want to have to add a prop rod which was needed when I started my build.) Also, there are several manufacturers. Pricing may vary. Look for pieces from a project. I am sure that somewhere, there is a distressed set laying around. I didn't find them, but I didn't look very hard either (I was in a hurry.)

Good luck. I would use them again. I'm looking at those large hinges for a Gen 2 F Body, and thinking the billet hinges would likely hold the hood alignment better on that car as well. Will be making a decision shortly...
Perfect. Exactly what I needed to read. Thank you for your time and effort with the post.
I think I will keep on with the stock for now and like you said, keep my eyes open for a distressed set.
I am easily distracted by shiny objects, but these can wait and be easily added later.

On the Level
Just a guy with a hammer and a grinder. OH!, and an HOA- enough said...: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372525
Old 07-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
OregonNed

I wanted a different look without custom hinges, so I went with a set of powdercoated hinges with new springs. I'm pretty sure the person who does these has another set on Ebay right now.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
Hellbent

Quote:
I wanted a different look without custom hinges, so I went with a set of powdercoated hinges with new springs. I'm pretty sure the person who does these has another set on Ebay right now.
Those look pretty good. Thanks for the idea.

On the Level
Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #8
FRCvette

Quote:
Those look really nice, I would like to have a set. Who is seller.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
OregonNed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRCvette View Post
Those look really nice, I would like to have a set. Who is seller.
On Ebay - clark101 He's a reliable seller.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #10
FRCvette

Quote:
On Ebay - clark101 He's a reliable seller.
Thank You.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote