The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2024, 06:07 PM   #1
Bruce F

Initial Timing Set Up Advise - Inline 6

Hi,

I have a rebuilt inline 6 (230) installed and I am trying to get the initial timing set up. I have read several threads but still have a question or two around some issues I am having. Any input is appreciated - thanks Bruce

A. Setting # 1 cylinder to TDC - I am using paper towel method and it blows out if i turn engine over by hand (or using the remote starter) . When it blows out when turning by hand I am pretty close to the 0 on the timing mark - when I use the remote button it seems to go a bit past 0 before stopping .
question 1 - does the paper towel blow out exactly at TDC? or just near TDC and you may have to adjust a bit to get to TDC
question 2 - do I leave it at TDC 0 mark before moving to the distributor install or do I move it manually to 10 or 12 degrees advance by turning the harmonic balancer?

B. Distributor install - the threads typically say to install the distributor with the rotor facing the # 1 cylinder. When I try to do this I end up a bit off when the distributor gear and oil pump align. I tried to start and timing was way off, i had to turn distributor counterclockwise a lot to get it to fire and then the vacuum advance was in the way.

question3 - do I need to be pointing exactly at # 1 spark plug - if so do need to rotate the oil pump to do that ?
Bruce F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 06:46 PM   #2
RichardJ

Re: Initial Timing Set Up Advise - Inline 6

>> rotor facing the # 1 cylinder.<<

NO, NO. and NO.

The rotor points to the dist cap tower with the #1 plug wire.
Old 09-24-2024, 07:00 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yes, the paper towel will most likely blow out before TDC. Be sure to set the points dwell before setting final timing, as it affects timing. The relative positions of the distributor and #1 plug wire is shown in the repair manual. Like RichardJ said, the rotor should point to #1 wire when the engine is at TDC. It's best to set it up as close to factory as possible so that when someone else looks into it, it will appear "normal". Some people get confused when it doesn't look like what is in the book. You can find the repair manuals here-
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ghlight=hatzie

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 07:50 PM   #4
Rust_never_sleeps

For #2, you leave the harmonic balancer pointing to 0 when cylinder 1 reaches the top of its stroke. Initial timing will be set with the distributor

Question B: it's convenient to "clock" the distributor so that it points near cylinder #1 on the motor when that cylinder is making compression and at TDC.
IF you do this, you will also need to verify that the plug wire for cylinder #1 ACTUALLY goes where the rotor is pointing(right plug on the cap)
Old 09-24-2024, 08:19 PM   #5
Bruce F

RichardJ /SteveeDee /Rust

thanks for the quick and helpful replies !!

I am learning as i go and this forum is invaluable

cheers Bruce
Bruce F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 08:59 PM   #6
PbFut

Some basic info. Distributor turns half the speed of crank. The paper towel will indicate the piston is on the compression stroke. Assuming timing marks are correct relative to harmonic balancer and pointer then setting the mark on the balancer to zero will place the piston at TDC. Now place your distributor. If you need to rotate the crank for the distributor to engage the oil pump, remember, two full crank rotations to get back to the compression stroke and TDC. Rotor should have rotated 1 full revolution and be back to painting at #1 plug. Now set your wires relative to the rotor position. Though it make no difference where number one falls in the setup, as stated above, costum for the rotor to point to number one plug so if wires are removed, orientation is common for replacement.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 12:40 AM   #7
Rust_never_sleeps

First thing I did with my 350 was change plugs and wires, and it wouldn't start and backfired through the carb, and seemed possessed. Previous owner had clocked it differently, so 1 was where 4 "should" have been.
I had never owned an engine before where you had more than one option for clocking the dizzy