The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
dragn91

hard front end shake and pulls right 1980 c20

Well I have been working on my new truck the last couple days and this just got worse. It shakes violently at around 45 and doesn't stop all the way to stopping. Sometimes it's fine but shakes more than doesnt. It's done it since I got it but now is worse. I did switch the front tires around and also installed a new passenger side caliper brake master cylinder and all new rear brake lines and hose. I'm hoping it's just a wheel out of balance I'm going to have the front wheels done tomorrow and as soon as I find a semi decent pair of rear tires I'll get those done. I don't want to pay for an alignment because I'm going to be lowering it in the next couple of weeks my question is if the wheel balance doesn't fix it what should I be looking at and how can I check it as far as steering and suspension. I know suspension pretty well but steering components I'm not familiar on what is suposed to move and have play and what not.
dragn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: hard front end shake and pulls right 1980 c20

if its a violent shake, it could be the wheel bearings are overtightened

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
dragn91

I also just noticed the front right wheel is hot! When I drove it the other day it was also pulling to the right before the shake got real bad. I know the caliper is installed correctly and the slide pins are new could it be the hose or maybe the proportioning valve holding pressure on it? I know it spins free when it's cooled down but it's definitely dragging
Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

yes it could very well be... If I change a caliper for the extra few bucks I always do the hose too it , to me is money well spent... also check to make sure no one kinked the steel brake line

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
dragn91

The steel lines not kinked as far as I can see both the passenger side front and rear must be sticking I took it for a drive after re bleeding everything less than a mile and as soon as I hit the brakes you can feel it pull to the right especially after I let off the brakes. If I drive for a bit without hitting the brakes it seems a little better but as soon as I hit them it's pulling again. I think the shake is from the right front brake overheating maybe or it could be a separate issue. The truck has pulled to the right since I bought it 2 weeks ago I replaced the front right caliper because I could not get the piston to depress in and also replaced the rear brake hose and lines on axle for good measure. What would cause brake pressure to be held against both passenger side front and rear brakes? Proportioning valve maybe? I'd think if it was the front rubber hose collapsed it only be the front holding pressure?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
Oldriginal86

Check the free-play in the brake pedal. Be sure there is a small amount of pedal movement before the pushrod makes contact with the piston in the M/C. The proportioning valve should only limit pressure in the circuit, not hold pressure.
Oldriginal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
dragn91

There seemed to be a small amount of play in the shaft when I replaced the master cylinder it went right back flush with the booster and didn't seem to pull back anymore when I tightened it up but I'll double check again tomorrow. I'm going to throw a new front hose on it tomorrow as well and see if that helps I'd be almost sure that's what if would be if it wasn't for the rear on the same side doing the same thing but again that might be unrelated because it shouldn't be holding back more on one side of the rear than the other because they t off on the rear to the single hose that is brand new along with the lines on the rear axle and the wheel cylinders both bleed out fine. Really hoping it's just the line if it's the brand new caliper I'm going to raise hell at advanced until they give me a new rotor as well because this once been overheated alot.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 AM   #8
dragn91

Just got called into work drove the whole way using the e brake luckily all back roads. The truck drove great no shakes no pulling just like it should. Hopefully this brake hose cures it
Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Keith Seymore

Rubber brake hoses can collapse internally, holding pressure like a check valve. This can occur even if they look ok from the outside.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
dragn91

Drove it the whole way to the store and home without using the brakes drove like a new truck. Going to put the hose on in a few hopefully the older steel lines corporate
Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
dragn91

So glad that's over new line fixed the shake the pull to the right and the sluggishness