The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
SnS C10

9 psi difference in oil filters!

Just thought I would put this out there for you to know. Im running rotella 15w-40 oil. With the fram tough guard tg5 filter upon cold start with the engine sitting cold since yesterday afternoon, my guage read 21 pounds at idle. Went to the store, grabbed an acdelco filter, filled it with the rotella oil. Took off the tg5 and screwed on the ac delco. Started the engine and the oil pressure read 30 psi at idle. Ive heard of fram causing lower oil pressure but I was shocked to see this! Hope this helps some of you out there!
Posted via Mobile Device
SnS C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Re: 9 psi difference in oil filters!

great to hear, i was following your other thread. how's it doing on the freeway now?

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
SnS C10

i just changed the filter but havnt had a chance to drive it yet, just start it. it has been running and driving great though
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
PAWS 72

Guy at our local autozone told me that the local autozones aren't carrying the AC DELCO oil filters for the SB Chevy anymore because of the check valve inside.he said that there were a few that didn't open causing engine failure.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
SnS C10

Thats interesting as I just bought the filter from autozone. So does everyone agree that ac delco filters are no good and should be avoided as well?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun23a11en View Post
Thats interesting as I just bought the filter from autozone. So does everyone agree that ac delco filters are no good and should be avoided as well?
Posted via Mobile Device
I think their wanting to faze them out. I haven't had any issues myself
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 9 psi difference in oil filters!

I've run one ever since I owned the truck without any problems. I bought the truck in 1986.
I just swapped over to O-Reilly's 5w-30 synthetic and AC filter last week after fixing some oil leaks.
It's a little over a dollar less per qurt than the major brands and I figured it's better than just regular oil.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

I never had a problem with an AC filter and I've been using them since 1981!

The only thing I didn't like is when they phased out the PF-25 and told everyone to use PF-454 in it's place. It's like 1.5 inches shorter so less filtering I guess. ??

I use PF-1218 myself. It's about the same size as the PF-25 was.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: 9 psi difference in oil filters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs409 View Post
That's the one I use also. I have been using the AC all my life since I started driving back in 1976. dad was a true AC filter man.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

An objective opinion:
I spent several years in the fleet maintenance business and have done considerable research into all types of filters, (oil, air, hyd. etc.) . IMHO, the absolute best oil filters on the market are made by Baldwin (Kearney, Ne.). Not a common parts store brand, but Baldwin is the OEM filter on all new Ferrari's. Check out the engine compartment on Ferrari and you will see the bright red Baldwin filter. http://www.baldwinfilter.com/
The next best rated filter, by several independent surveys, is the NAPA Gold (made by WIX). I have done many oil samples and I have to agree. The NAPA Gold has more actual filter area than any other. The cleanliness of take-off oil is about as good as can be expected. After cutting open hundreds of oil filters, I wouldn't put a Fram on anything. IMHO, they are cheap crap.
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyArnot View Post
An objective opinion:
I spent several years in the fleet maintenance business and have done considerable research into all types of filters, (oil, air, hyd. etc.) . IMHO, the absolute best oil filters on the market are made by Baldwin (Kearney, Ne.). Not a common parts store brand, but Baldwin is the OEM filter on all new Ferrari's. Check out the engine compartment on Ferrari and you will see the bright red Baldwin filter. http://www.baldwinfilter.com/
The next best rated filter, by several independent surveys, is the NAPA Gold (made by WIX). I have done many oil samples and I have to agree. The NAPA Gold has more actual filter area than any other. The cleanliness of take-off oil is about as good as can be expected. After cutting open hundreds of oil filters, I wouldn't put a Fram on anything. IMHO, they are cheap crap.
Yep, do search on oil filter comparison and you will be shocked at what is inside some common filters. I usually use WIX which is available at NAPA, CarQuest, and O'Rieleys. I do have a few more PF25s left that I got when Kmart clearanced the last of their AC filters around 2000. I have used the 2 qt filter (WIX 51794) on my '83 K20, but not anymore. That gave me 6 qts total, now with the Corvette TPI I have a larger pan already.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
sjarrett71

Any time the subject of filters come up, people have heard this about that one and that about this one. Personally I have heard Baldwin filters were no good. Not saying they are, that's just what I heard. I don't know because I've never used one. The main thing with filters is to change them regularly. Millions of people have used Fram, Wix, Microguard, Bosch, AC, Motorcraft, Baldwin, Deutch, (enter other filter names here) without a problem for years. You will always have people LOVE their brand of filter and HATE all others. Find what works for you and does best on your particular engine.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
Any time the subject of filters come up, people have heard this about that one and that about this one. Personally I have heard Baldwin filters were no good. Not saying they are, that's just what I heard.
I don't base my opinions on hearsay, I have done many hours of research. I'd suggest anyone do the same.
They are good enough that Enzo Ferrari used them exclusively in all his personal racing engines. Mr. Baldwin made a commitment years ago to always make a filter for all Ferraris. Now, I'm no expert and as stated "This is a personal opinion", but if Baldwin was good enough for Ferrari, they're good enough for me. Yea. I know, opinions are like ........, every body has one

Last edited by TobyArnot; 01-22-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
rs74

I run Napa Gold filters on everything I own including my mowers and tractor. Nothing less.
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
Any time the subject of filters come up, people have heard this about that one and that about this one. Personally I have heard Baldwin filters were no good. Not saying they are, that's just what I heard. I don't know because I've never used one. The main thing with filters is to change them regularly. Millions of people have used Fram, Wix, Microguard, Bosch, AC, Motorcraft, Baldwin, Deutch, (enter other filter names here) without a problem for years. You will always have people LOVE their brand of filter and HATE all others. Find what works for you and does best on your particular engine.
Yup...same thing with carburetors.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyArnot View Post
An objective opinion:
I have to agree. I have a 383 stroker in my '69 C20 and my engine builder recommended the WIX racing filter. The NAPA Gold is made by WIX. At first I was somewhat concerned because I noticed that it filtered particles to a maximum size of 61 microns, which I thought was somewhat large. I know that there are other filters out there that would filter it down to a smaller micron size, but you have to be concerned about oil volume and pressure as well. Again, I have a racing engine, but here is what the engine builder said when I questioned it:

"The two filters that we recommend are the Fram Part # HP4 and the WIX Part # 51061R. They are both great filters and are designed for High Volume Oil Pumps with the large bearing clearances of a high performance engine. If you put a non-high volume oil filter on a engine with a High Volume oil pump it can drop oil pressure by over 20 lbs all by itself and kill an engine with low oil pressure. WIX runs all of the oil through the filter every time without a bypass valve at larger micron restriction while FRAM uses low micron with bypass valves to allow unfiltered oil to bypass the filter to achieve the same flow of oil. The WIX 51061R is preferred by most off-road or dirt track racers because it does not have a bypass valve and filters all the oil every time but it is just a matter of prefference for most racers. Either of those filters will perform excellent on 500 - 1500 HP."

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs409 View Post
I never had a problem with an AC filter and I've been using them since 1981!

The only thing I didn't like is when they phased out the PF-25 and told everyone to use PF-454 in it's place. It's like 1.5 inches shorter so less filtering I guess. ??

That was the number I was trying to say.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Yep, do search on oil filter comparison and you will be shocked at what is inside some common filters. I usually use WIX which is available at NAPA, CarQuest, and O'Rieleys. I do have a few more PF25s left that I got when Kmart clearanced the last of their AC filters around 2000. I have used the 2 qt filter (WIX 51794) on my '83 K20, but not anymore. That gave me 6 qts total, now with the Corvette TPI I have a larger pan already.
I was wondering if there was a 2 quart filter any more for the older engines. I used to run the PF-35? on mine all the time then got where I couldnt find it.

From 1999 till around 2008 the truck didnt get drove much because I was on the road in a diesel so i think maybe 6000 miles in that time span.

I did notice an improvement on the pressure on the 71 though when I change the oil in it the other day.I didnt know when the PO had changed it but I thought that the motor was shot because it sat so long and not driven.

You learn something new every day.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
PAWS 72

I've noticed a lot of the stores having their own brand of oil, would it be just as good for an older engine as name brand also? I know thats another can of worms.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
nate_g_2003

My dad and I have run many Fram filters in the past, with great results, back when you always changed your conventional oil at 3,000 miles. I got away from them once I went out on my own, due to the many internet stories of how cheap they are. I try to buy Wix when available, or Motorcraft (for my Fords). We've run AC Delco filters on lots of GM sutff as well, with excellent results.

I don't know if they really are any better on daily drivers, but the Wix/Motorcrafts make me feel better and worry less, so that's my stance. I haven't really ever thought about the PSI difference between filters honestly. The Burb is the first vehicle I've had that has an actual pressure gauge hooked up to the engine. Every other gauge has been factory sending unit, which we all know can be hit-or-miss, even to the point of just being an idiot-light.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
I've noticed a lot of the stores having their own brand of oil, would it be just as good for an older engine as name brand also? I know thats another can of worms.
A bigger can of worms then I can fish in a lifetime!

With the older engines you want to stick with the higher zinc content, or you should be able to run the no name brand with an additive.

after a rebuild and roller cam, you have more options.

This is just my .02, I know there are plenty of people out there that run everything under the sun and have no problems. just not what i have learned.

post script....

I think Oil is like religion, we all want to get the same results, we just believe in our own way of getting there.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #22
BlackedOut67shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
I was wondering if there was a 2 quart filter any more for the older engines. I used to run the PF-35? on mine all the time then got where I couldnt find it.

From 1999 till around 2008 the truck didnt get drove much because I was on the road in a diesel so i think maybe 6000 miles in that time span.

I did notice an improvement on the pressure on the 71 though when I change the oil in it the other day.I didnt know when the PO had changed it but I thought that the motor was shot because it sat so long and not driven.

You learn something new every day.
Yeah but itcan be tricky to find sometimes. I looked for a filter for a c 50 and found the 2 quart....but i cant use it cause my header touches it...
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
burnin oil

Frams are constantly recalled for using the wrong paper in the filter. They like to mix up the air filter element for the filter media. I have taken several apart where the paper had collapsed and the filter wasn't doing a thing.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOut67shorty View Post
Yeah but itcan be tricky to find sometimes. I looked for a filter for a c 50 and found the 2 quart....but i cant use it cause my header touches it...
Look at Baldwin B7. (2) qt.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #25
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOut67shorty View Post
PF-932 2 qt filter
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote