The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
OrrieG

My first TF truck.

I changed my avatar to the first Task Force truck I owned. I had driven my Dad's and Orrie's 46 panel but this is one I bought in 1968 at a Forest Service auction. 1957, 235, 3 speen short step side. It had 56,000 miles on it. The guy that had used it most of its service was there, he was a maintenance supervisor over on the Oregon coast. He did not want to get rid of it but the government had a policy that they only kept light trucks for 50K miles. I paid $425 for it, which was equal to 6.5 weeks pay at minimum wage (1.60) before taxes. I was working at Weyerhaeuser as an apprentice millwright getting 3.65 and hour and thought I was living high. I got it as a DD, my 57 210 that was getting to be a pain to drive on the street to work (and even at 25 cents a gallon gas was killing me).

I kept it until I got drafted in 1970. I sold all my cars, spare parts, etc. because I did not know what was going to happen. I kept my tools, but they were stolen from my Dad's shop about 6 months after I left for the Army. They only took my stuff which was stored in a separate shed and did not touch the main shop or my Dad's stuff (it would have been easy to get into too). Always bothered me because my Dad had a strict rule that only 3 of my closest friends were allowed on the shop property. I figured someone must have overheard a conversation or knew about it. I replaced the tools only to have them stolen again in 1974 from my apartment in El Paso. Set number three has been with be since.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 11-25-2010 at 03:25 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Kim57

Re: My first TF truck.

That's a cool story OrrieG.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Knothead

Do you have any other pics?That truck was in great shape! Looks like some fat tires on the rear. Nice Impala in the background.
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
OrrieG

No, those are the only photos I have of the truck and 57. I don't know why but even though I had a good camera and photographed the heck out of buildings, landscapes and other artsy-fartsy stuff I didn't shoot any of the cars. Somewhere I think I may have some out at the drags but have not come across them yet.

Here is another shot of the Impala. It was one of my best friends. He wanted a freeway flyer so we dropped in a 375 hp 396 and disc brakes off a Corvette. We changed the rear end gears to 2.73. Transmission was a Muncie 4 speed. The weak link was the center universal, I got to where I could change it sitting off the side of the road in about 1/2 an hour. Speedo went to 120, we had it buried at the bottom with the engine still pulling many times between Eugene and Cottage Grove on the then relatively new I-5 freeway. I've looked at rpm,trans, rearend, tire dia speed calculators and it looks like we were topping out at about 140 or so. With the gears took a while to get there.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
xpickup

OrrieG, great pictures. I love seeing old pictures of automobles and buildings. They had so much better styling than now.
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote