The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2003, 07:31 PM   #1
chevy71super

Cost of Restoration

There has been much discussion on the board lately about cost of paint and body work and what the best truck is to restore. I decided this was a good opportunity to sit down and figure out what it will cost to restore, with some modification, my 72 SB 4 wheel drive.

I learned a lot restoring my first truck but the biggest lesson was it cost me twice as much as I originally figured. One of many of my character flaws is trying to get something perfect or as close to perfect as I can. This drove up the cost on my first restoration. I basically ended up replacing or reconditioning everything. The second lesson is the more customization you do the higher the cost. Adding chrome accessories, stereo, etc. cost money. The third is the cost of paint and body work. My advise is to learn as much as you can and do as much as you can but in the end don't try and cut too many corners especially with paint. The results will show.

The following estimates are my own. Any costs you incurr restoring your truck will depend upon how much work you do and what you want to do with the truck afterwards. I am building a a truck I can show on the weekends, not built for work or 4 wheeling. (I have another truck in the wings for that.) It doesn't make much sense to spend a bunch of money on paint if you are going to work or play it hard.

I am starting with a Cheyenne Super 4X4 that cost me $8,000. Structurally it is in good shape, limited rust and it runs and drives alright but is in need of major attention. Basically it is in number 4 condition. I want to get it to 1 to 2 shape. I will perform all the sheetmetal replacement, basic bodywork, I will dismantal everything of the frame and rebuild it back together. Most of the costs I am estimating is just parts with the exception of paint and finish body work. With that in mind here are my estimates of the costs to restore:

Engine & Drivetrain:
Engine - 383 GM Crate - $3,500
Transmission Rebuild - $350 (turbo 350)
Transfercase - Seals $50
Frontend rebuild incl brakes - $200
Rearend rebuild inclu brakes - $200
New Gears (4:11) - $300
Drive shafts rebuild (both) - $300
AC rebuild $200
Total - $5,100

Body Exterior & Interior
Misc Metal Replacement Parts - $300
Grill Shell - $250
Bumpers - $250
Seat Covers/Carpet/Dash/ect. - $500
Seals - Doors & Windows - $200
Windshield - $150
Sound Deadening - $200
Sand Blasting - $500
Paint & Materials - $2,000
Paint & Prep Labor - 50 to 100 hrs @ $50 hr.
Total - $6,850 to $9,350

Frame & Suspension
Springs (4 spring lift) - $750
Shocks - $100
Paint & Prep Frame - $200
Exhaust - $200
Tires & Wheels - $1,250
Total - $2,500

Total Cost Excluding Truck - $14,450 to $16,950
Add 10% for misc items - $16,000 to $18,650
Cost Include Truck - $24,000 to $26,650

These estimates don't include things such as a stereo, chrome accessories, Jet Coatings, Powder Coatings, ect that I do not plan on doing. A person could easily add $4-5,000 to the price with mild customizing. If I were to add a big block the costs would go up even higher.

I am sure my actual cost will come in higher, it always does with these things. But whatever it costs you to restore your truck always plan that it will cost you a heck of a lot more than you ever imagined.
Doug
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote