The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
superhondaz50

Hi, new here, need help with a drop... Clearance

Hi, my name is Ryan and i'm fixing up a 69 c-10. This truck belonged to my best freind. He was recently killed while riding a motorcycle, and his father gave me this truck. I want to fix it up as a tribute to him. So my question is... how low do you think I can drop this truck? It has full length headers so i'm worried about ground clearance. If I can I would like to use 2.5 spindles in the front and 4 inch coils in the rear,(also what other parts do I ned for this height of drop) if I cant I am thinking about a 1/3 drop with coils.
Thanks for your help!

superhondaz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
powell72

Re: Hi, new here, need help with a drop... Clearance

You'll be fine with a 2.5/4. You'll need spindles, rear springs, and shock relocators. Welcome to the board, sorry to here about your friend, make him proud.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
see ten
WTB this ad

Sorry about your friend. Don't let the exhaust hold you back. If you want it low run some new pipes and tuck em up a bit higher. Looks like he had a good start, I see 5 lug wheels ( I assume there are discs ) and one piece side windows as well. Take your time and look around the site and maybe you'll find a drop you like and can live with.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
cdowns

fine with that drop?? looks to me the exhaust will be right about on the ground with a 2.5/4 drop// you'll need a new exhaust from the engine back//also you need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear correctly also need would be shock relocaters in the rear and new smaller shocks/// lots of the venders have complete kits to save a bit of money over individual prices
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

Hi there! I would measure the distance from the bottom of your header's collector to the ground and see if it is singificantly longer than 2.5"

My dad dropped his 67 with drop spindles and he still is rolling around with long tube headers. Just go slow over speed bumps.

Also for dropping the rear, LMC only mentioned needing the adjustable panhard bar if you went 5" or lower. We also did the 4" drop and the bar fits. A little snug, but everything is working out so far.

If I had a friend like you that actually continues and cares for my classic truck, I'd be damn proud. I'm sure you'll enjoy it just like he did.

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
superhondaz50

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
Sorry about your friend. Don't let the exhaust hold you back. If you want it low run some new pipes and tuck em up a bit higher. Looks like he had a good start, I see 5 lug wheels ( I assume there are discs ) and one piece side windows as well. Take your time and look around the site and maybe you'll find a drop you like and can live with.

Ya it has discs, but that leads me to my next problem, I dont know if he replaced the whole front clip, or just a few parts. how would I be able to identify whats there so I can get the correct parts (spindles and such)
superhondaz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhondaz50 View Post
Ya it has discs, but that leads me to my next problem, I dont know if he replaced the whole front clip, or just a few parts. how would I be able to identify whats there so I can get the correct parts (spindles and such)
Hmmm, don't know but TTT for ya!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

I would say if it has the discs, then it has the 1971/72 spindles on it. The control arms are the same, they just use a different ball joint. I have full length headers on mine, and the front pipe is under the frame. I have 3/5 lowering springs on mine and have no clearance issues at all. Here is a before and after pic so you can see what a difference it makes.
Attachment 257414

Attachment 257415
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board

Last edited by centsless; 10-04-2007 at 08:52 PM.
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
fine with that drop?? looks to me the exhaust will be right about on the ground with a 2.5/4 drop// you'll need a new exhaust from the engine back//also you need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear correctly also need would be shock relocaters in the rear and new smaller shocks/// lots of the venders have complete kits to save a bit of money over individual prices
I had a truck with the exhaust done the same way with a 2.5/4 drop and never had any issues. You really don't need an adjustable panhard with a 4'' drop, it wouldn't hurt, but it's not needed.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote