The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Jonlopes

Bumper bracket mounting questions

One of the first mods I want to do with my truck is replace the step bumper with a normal chrome “Sport” bumper. I think they look better and it will allow the longhorn to fit in the garage a little easier. Unfortunately when I crawled under the truck I found the PO both bolted and welded the brackets to the frame:

He also welded a piece of angle iron to the ends of the frame rails

And to the angle iron he welded a pretty heavy duty bracket that goes to the towing receiver.

So I have a few questions for the experts:

First; I was thinking it would be fairly easy to remove the welds with an angle grinder. Is this a good idea or should I just go to a weld shop and have it unwelded correctly?

Second; would I need to remove the angle iron brace or can I leave it in place? Or in other words can I mount the bumper brackets to the outside of the frame?

Third does anyone have any pictures of how the brackets go on a long bed leaf spring truck?

Thanks!
Jonlopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
jessemthompson

Re: Bumper bracket mounting questions

I would personally break out the grinder.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
wbc409

I would just break out the grinder. Be careful and don't grind to much off of the frame
wbc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Davidf

Looks like a thoroughly installed and strong bumper. Agreed, cut through welds. Personally, I like using an air cut off tool. Much easier to control than an angle grinder and it cuts through the weld much faster. I even use the cut off tool for rough grinding once the pieces are separated. Again, the air cut off tool grinds away metal faster than most grinders. Do the final grinding with a grinder to achieve a flat and well blended final surface.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
michael bustamante

and support that bumper!!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
and support that bumper!!
Yeah, it is an impressive piece of steel. The scrap metal guy who comes through our neighborhood will be very happy.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Orange Crate

If/when you get the bumper off, you might offer it up for sale. There might be another member that could use a heavy duty unit like that. Of course you would have to become a contributing member to sell items on this forum. There is always the CL also.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Looks like a thoroughly installed and strong bumper. Agreed, cut through welds. Personally, I like using an air cut off tool. Much easier to control than an angle grinder and it cuts through the weld much faster. I even use the cut off tool for rough grinding once the pieces are separated. Again, the air cut off tool grinds away metal faster than most grinders. Do the final grinding with a grinder to achieve a flat and well blended final surface.
I will give the air cut off tool a try. Can you recommend one that is low in the CFM consumption? I only have a 33 gallon 120V compressor so I cannot continuously power the tools that ask for high CFM.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
hugger6933

You asked about a welding shop to remove it "properly", well they would just grind off the old welds as advised here and above. I would too use a die grinder but sometimes I forget that not everyone has a shop to work out of and is fully stacked with all tools that are needed for about any situation.[ I am blessed in that regard]. I think an electric angle grinder with either a 4 or 4 and 1/2 metal cutoff wheel would do fine if you have air problems. It will take several wheels to do this not matter what method you choose, just remember if using the electric angle grinder with the big blade, just don't turn the tool while using or the blade will break. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #10
Jonlopes

Home Depot's brand of air tools (Husky) advertises just 4 cfm needed for their cut-off tool, my compressor can handle that (I think it is rated for 7) and if it cannot I can always return it.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #11
cericd

I'll be watching this one. The PO of my truck did a similar thing minus the angle iron.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
I'll be watching this one. The PO of my truck did a similar thing minus the angle iron.
Yeah for a work truck they did a great job. I could tow a house with this bumper with no fear of anything coming apart. This truck, however, has graduated from a worker to a garage queen. I will try to remember to take pictures of my progress and also give insights from a guy who has not had to grind welds in the past (except on exhaust pipes).
Old 05-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #13
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
You asked about a welding shop to remove it "properly", well they would just grind off the old welds as advised here and above. I would too use a die grinder but sometimes I forget that not everyone has a shop to work out of and is fully stacked with all tools that are needed for about any situation.[ I am blessed in that regard]. I think an electric angle grinder with either a 4 or 4 and 1/2 metal cutoff wheel would do fine if you have air problems. It will take several wheels to do this not matter what method you choose, just remember if using the electric angle grinder with the big blade, just don't turn the tool while using or the blade will break. Jim
If you go this route, be VERY careful. Electric motors have enormous torque. So, if you get a cut-off blade in a bind, you will either rip the tool out of your hand or probably break the blade. A broken blade can then do damage to you. Wear plenty of eye and face protection, wear heavy gloves and pray. For these reasons, I never use anything other than air powered cut-off tools. When the air power tool binds, it simply stops...no drama. I'm in construction, and have seen many people sent to the hospital (mainly for stiches) due to injuries caused by angle grinders fitted with cut-off wheels.

I don't think you will have much luck with your compressor.

Last edited by Davidf; 05-12-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
Jonlopes

Quote:
If you go this route, be VERY careful. Electric motors have enormous torque. So, if you get a cut-off blade in a bind, you will either rip the tool out of your hand or probably break the blade. A broken blade can then do damage to you. Wear plenty of eye and face protection, wear heavy gloves and pray. For these reasons, I never use anything other than air powered cut-off tools. When the air power tool binds, it simply stops...no drama. I'm in construction, and have seen many people sent to the hospital (mainly for stiches) due to injuries caused by angle grinders fitted with cut-off wheels.

I don't think you will have much luck with your compressor.
Thank you for the advice. What would you suggest then? My compressor runs my impact, ratchet, drill, die grinder and chisel just fine so i am not going to spend $1000 for the 220 volt model plus paying the electrician to add a 220v outlet to the garage all just for this bumper project.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #15
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlopes View Post
Thank you for the advice. What would you suggest then? My compressor runs my impact, ratchet, drill, die grinder and chisel just fine so i am not going to spend $1000 for the 220 volt model plus paying the electrician to add a 220v outlet to the garage all just for this bumper project.
Posted via Mobile Device
If it was me, I would buy a cheap Harbor Freight air powered cut-off tool. I would then go to Home Depot and buy a pack of cut-off wheels (4" I think). Then, I would find that the air supply is quickly depleted and I would spend time waiting for the compressor to catch up. After about 4 or so cycles, I would wait longer for the compressor to cool. You can regulate this process somewhat by limiting the speed of the tool (and thus CFM of air used).

That is what I would do. Eventually, you will get the stupid thing off your truck and still have all your digits intact. Whatever you do, just please be careful. Grinder injuries are worse than cuts as flesh is removed in the process...thus not much left to stitch up.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #16
Jonlopes

Quote:
If it was me, I would buy a cheap Harbor Freight air powered cut-off tool. I would then go to Home Depot and buy a pack of cut-off wheels (4" I think). Then, I would find that the air supply is quickly depleted and I would spend time waiting for the compressor to catch up. After about 4 or so cycles, I would wait longer for the compressor to cool. You can regulate this process somewhat by limiting the speed of the tool (and thus CFM of air used).

That is what I would do. Eventually, you will get the stupid thing off your truck and still have all your digits intact. Whatever you do, just please be careful. Grinder injuries are worse than cuts as flesh is removed in the process...thus not much left to stitch up.
That sounds like a plan. The good thing is my little 120V compressor is at least oil lubricated cast iron as opposed to the oilless designs. I see you can get some of the "Better" brands of cut off tools for only about $55 (IR, Chicago Pneumatic, Air Cat, etc). Do you think they are better on air consumption than the $10 HF version?
Old 05-13-2015, 01:45 AM   #17
swamp rat

If it was me i'd take a cutting tourch and cut the bumper off at the brackets, then start cutting as much of the unneeded brackets and angles off next to get them out of the way, then i's use a 4" grinder with good cuttoff wheels ( not harbor freight crap ) to grind the welds off, keep a hammer and chisel secured in Vice Grips handy.

If ya don't have a tourch you can always rent one.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I'm betting that these big step bumpers aren't from a prior owner installing them. Most of those big step bumpers came on these rigs as dealer options or installed at RV dealerships when people hauled those behemoth slide in campers.

So they were installed to last for the life of the truck.

Mine has one too... I love the big ol' step bumpers. Especially when a long bed truck with a big bumper like that is walking a newer Camaro or Mustang...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
kbill45@gmail.com

Post a picture of the bumper. If it is in good shape I will trade a new chrome one for it.
kbill45@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
mcbassin
Still Learning

If it was mine, I would just use my electric angle grinder to grind the weld then break it loose.
Be careful to only grind the weld and not your frame. You shouldn't have to pay a weld shop to cut those welds.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #21
leddzepp

I'd use whatever tool I already had handy, electric grinder or air tool. Just use common sense, gloves, and safety goggles. It ain't rocket surgery.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #22
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbill45@gmail.com View Post
Post a picture of the bumper. If it is in good shape I will trade a new chrome one for it.
It is not that pretty, I was just going to scrap it. If anyone wants it they can have it I just do not want to have to try to ship this heavy thing.

Also the top portion of the license plate is blocked by the tailgate, I am afraid I am going to be pulled over some day because of this.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #23
kbill45@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlopes View Post
It is not that pretty, I was just going to scrap it. If anyone wants it they can have it I just do not want to have to try to ship this heavy thing.

Also the top portion of the license plate is blocked by the tailgate, I am afraid I am going to be pulled over some day because of this.

I believe that bumper is for another truck.
kbill45@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #24
Jonlopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbill45@gmail.com View Post
I believe that bumper is for another truck.
LOL, I believe the same thing, that is why I want it gone!

All joking aside, with the way the license plate mounts I think it was either mounted too high to clear the receiver or it is for something else.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #25
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Be VERY careful those brackets are lined up correctly when you bolt the bumper on. I bent mine long ago, likely because they weren't lined up, and therefore the faces on the mounts weren't flush with the bumper. As a result, there are two small spots that were pushed out to conform with the brackets.

That's one reason I'd like to confirm my bumper is OEM, as I'd like to have it straightened and re-chromed at some point. I believe it is OEM, because it was purchased decades ago after it had been re-chromed.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote