The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
kenbob87

Question 4l60e

i drive a 02 chevy k1500 with a 4.8l and it has the 4l60e in it that is built quite abit i have probably 8,000 miles on the new tranny and it has worked great i loved it but the other day it did something pretty strange 4th gear started slipping bad could barely hold 55mph so i pulled it down into 3rd and it held fine then i went into the gas station for maybe 5 minutes left it running came back out got up to speed and everything worked fine. that was on monday i have been driving my work truck since but then tonight i had to drive mine again and it doesn the same thing except this time it worked great for a while went into town did some running around when i left the store it i noticed my 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are way softer than they used to be and it wouldnt hold 4th again. then i left home to come back to work and it worked great again all my shifts were as they are suppose to be and held 4th no problem... so my question is have any of you had similar issues? or have any idea what it may be?
kenbob87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
truckdude239

Re: 4l60e

8k miles should still be under warranty sounds like something with teh vss, or the computer, is the check engine light on with any codes?

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbob87 View Post
i drive a 02 chevy k1500 with a 4.8l and it has the 4l60e in it that is built quite abit i have probably 8,000 miles on the new tranny and it has worked great i loved it but the other day it did something pretty strange 4th gear started slipping bad could barely hold 55mph so i pulled it down into 3rd and it held fine then i went into the gas station for maybe 5 minutes left it running came back out got up to speed and everything worked fine. that was on monday i have been driving my work truck since but then tonight i had to drive mine again and it doesn the same thing except this time it worked great for a while went into town did some running around when i left the store it i noticed my 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are way softer than they used to be and it wouldnt hold 4th again. then i left home to come back to work and it worked great again all my shifts were as they are suppose to be and held 4th no problem... so my question is have any of you had similar issues? or have any idea what it may be?
Low line pressure.....EPC solenoid, EPC screen clogged/sucking shut....Can cause soft shifts & slipping......The screen sucking shut can cause intermittent issues.

Leaking 4th accumulator. Worn pins are common.

Leaking 4th servo.

With only 8K on the unit Im guessing you have a warranty??
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
kenbob87

thanks guys yeah its under warrenty and the guy who built it said he has another one there for me for free... only problem is im 700 miles away from him right now :/ and have to try to drive it home as it he told me in an email that it he doesnt care if i fry it completely trying to get it home ( he is a really nice guy and has built many tranny's for me in the past with no problems)

i was seeing if it was possibly a easy fix that maybe wouldnt require me pulling the tranny back out again.

im getting no lights on the dash i have a code reader at work here but all it does it read present and past codes and there is nothing in there at all
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
kenbob87

just a little update for you fella's i got the truck home just barley. had to drive the last 8 miles in second gear lol.... my tranny guy had my new one waiting for me when i got there and got it in with no problems.... he just called me and let me know that i smoked the 3-4 clutch pack completely there was nothing left the 4th gear band was slipping a little bit and the revese band was also slipping a bit.... all of this was caused by a sticky valve
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
bk2life
Account Suspended

nice..

good update, and glad he backed you. 700 miles away, moer and more places have tail light warranties..

glad yours has a happy ending.

which valve was stuck so if we hear something simliar we can say try the "------" valve..
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
kenbob87

im not sure what valve was sticking he didnt say i will get ahold of him and find out for sure then let you guys know

yeah he is a great guy to work with he has built mulitple tranny's for me and a few for my buddies and always stands behind his work.