The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2024, 11:01 AM   #1
custom10nut

Re: Questions on Replacing Bed Wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
You did not specify if you had a fleetside or step side bed, but I have included an edited picture of my step side bed for reference.

1. You can take the metal strips off and remove the boards one at a time, note the most narrow boards under the angle strips on the bed side sort of 'hold up' the bed off the cross sills. Circled in orange in the photo. Best to start near the center and work outward.
2. Yes, the bolt locations circled in yellow actually hold the bed to the frame. You can pull those bolts and remove the boards without the bed falling down.

As to lifting the bed I'd think a two post lift would work well if you have access. Others that have done it can chime in on lifting locations that they used.

For the electrical, if you get under the rear of the truck at the furthest back crossmember in the frame, on the driver's side there is a coupler that connects the tail light/backup light wiring harness to the harness that runs from the firewall back. Unplug that and also look for any ground straps that might be from the frame to the bed.

Hope this helps some.
Oops! Long Bed Fleet Side
This is a huge help, thanks

Last edited by custom10nut; 05-09-2024 at 11:06 AM.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote