The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
67chevy2wd

How can I tell if my brake booster is bad?

On my 71 it feels like the manual brakes did in my 67. I really have to get after it sometimes to stop the truck. Someday I want to put 35's on it and I know I need to get the brakes sorted out first. Now that I think about it the wife helped me tow the 71 home the other night (distributor died) and I had both feet on the brake pedal pushing damn near as hard as I could and the wheels wouldn't lock up on a gravel road. Plus they (the brakes) didn't feel any different from when it is running.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban

Last edited by 67chevy2wd; 08-14-2010 at 08:49 AM.
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Piece of Work
Cultural Infidel

Re: How can I tell if my brake booster is bad?

Start your truck and let it idle. Pull the vacuum line off the booster. If the idle drops, the booster is good, if it stays the same, the booster is bad. To check the vacuum, put your finger over the end of the hose, the idle will increase if you are drawing enough vacuum.

-Mark

1972 C-10 Fleetside 350/TH350 PS PB A/C Cab Sadly....Sold
1968 Short Fleet 350/TH400 PS PB Delivered by Fine69 Also sadly Sold!

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
A man is not complete until he is married -- then he is finished.
Piece of Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: How can I tell if my brake booster is bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy2wd View Post
On my 71 it feels like the manual brakes did in my 67. I really have to get after it sometimes to stop the truck. Someday I want to put 35's on it and I know I need to get the brakes sorted out first. Now that I think about it the wife helped me tow the 71 home the other night (distributor died) and I had both feet on the brake pedal pushing damn near as hard as I could and the wheels wouldn't lock up on a gravel road. Plus they (the brakes) didn't feel any different from when it is running.
How hard the brakes are to apply is a pretty good sign the booster isn't working or the vacuum supply to the booster is poor.

First check that the fitting to the brake booster is still in one piece. Some designs have a cap in the middle of the plastic fitting that can come out so you have complete vacuum loss. I have had it happen twice now on different vehicles. A 70 and a 72 Chevy so yours could have the same POS part on it.

Second check to make sure you have good vacuum to the booster. Pull the fitting out of the booster with the engine running and see if the supply line is pulling a vacuum. If it is pulling vacuum then hook it back up to the booster and let it run for minute or two and shut the engine off.

Pull the vacuum supply line off with the engine off now. If the booster doesn't pop from the vacuum loss when you pull the fitting out then the booster has a leak. They will hold vacuum for quite a while after being parked if they are good. Several days or longer.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote