The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
MGF2011

Frame Swap or Keep Original

I have a 49 GMC that still has original frame. It is completely apart now. Question now is do I keep the original frame or switch it out for the newer ride. Im not going to bag it, I would like it to be lowered 3 to 4 inches. just asking for input on the best route to go without spending the 7 grand for a fat man chasis. If kept original can it be lowered and upgraded to get a descent ride? This is going to be a long term project. already have the 350engine for it and plan to keep everthing else as original as possible.
MGF2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
robin58

Re: Frame Swap or Keep Original

Unless there's a reason to consider getting rid of the original frame (e.g. corroded, twisted, tweaked, etc) I'd stick with it. I know the S10 swap is popular but I always feel you can spend your money and time better in other areas.

Tons of options for it for the front end MII, Corvette, front clips etc. if you want basically the same ride you're going to get with swapping to a S10. For the rear 4-bar it. If you just want it lowered, a dropped axle is cheap but your ride will leave something to be desired.

My attitude has always been, if you put an S10 frame under it, you're using something that's 20 years old and in reality you're going to have to replace/refurbish most of the suspension parts, so you might as well sink the money into something that will make your life easier fitting the cab etc back on.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
MGF2011

Thanks for the input..what year MII and corvette front ends are the best to use? are there any lowering issues to cover with that or will it place it at a lowered position off the bat.?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
mr48chev

Most guys now days use an aftermarket MII crossmember with either the stock MII control arms or tube aftermarket control arms. There are dropped spindles to get them lower if needed. Price range is everywhere from the 200 and something fold it and weld it Welders series crossmember through the bolt on units and up through the custom units like what couple of our members sell.
As for the Corvette pieces Most I've seen use the suspension pieces from C-4 series cars.

If you have a really good, straight an solid original frame that isn't rusted, hacked or bent I'd run it. The time to do a frame swap comes when your frame is not in good shape or when you don't have a frame such as after you take a cab off a 1-1/2 ton truck to use for your build.

From experience (not all good) I'd have to say plan everything out before you start. I've got enough parts that I bought and didn't use to probably build two trucks and that doesn't include all the things I picked up for my truck and traded off because I decided not to use them.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
MGF2011

Where is the best place to look for the after market kits.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
mr48chev

I'd say the best place to start is to see what other guys have used and how well they like certain kits. Or if they don't like certain kits.

If you don't weld or fabricate the Bolt on crossmember from http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/ is as simple as it gets. Measure, drill and bolt on the unit and start installing the suspension pieces. On the other end of the spectrum Scott here on the board can sell you a complete custom front and or rear suspension that will set the truck at the exact height you want it if you give him the right info. another great source but again not inexpensive is Steve at http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/ who does some incredible work and has repaired and redone who knows how many botched jobs done by other shops.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
MGF2011

Great thanks for the info..I got alot to figure out and plenty of time to do it lol.