The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Motor towers for v6 to small block conversion

So I started my engine swap about 8 years ago and I'm almost done but need some help with the engine towers. the truck is a 68 2wd c20 gmc that started life with a 305 v6, after it spun a bearing me and my dad swaped it for a 351 v6, then that one spun a bearing a few years later. so I decided to swap for a small block. well when I started the swap I was told to toss the towers because I would need the small block towers so I removed them and discarded them along the way. now that I have set the engine in and mounted up the bellhousing I found out that the motor sits back to far for the small block towers (I only have one but it is obvious that it won't work. so the last few days I have been looking around here for answers and as I understand it I need the towers that I originally had (v6) or I need the towers from a 4wd with a small block. So my question is what about I6 towers (230 or 250, not the 292)? I really would like to keep it mounted in the rear holes so I don't have to change drivelines and all the other stuff. so please let me know my options and if I'm on the right track. Thanks in advance
Justin
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's

Last edited by Jacfourteen; 06-13-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Re: Motor towers for v6 to small block conversion

anyone have any ideas? there are a set of v6 towers for sale on the board right now and I wanted some input before I make an offer.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Old 06-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
The problem is there isn't enough of them around for the average person to know what mount towers they use or if the bolt holes in the frame are even the same as the V-8's or Inline Sixes. If the one that was in my local salvage yard was still there I would go over and measure it. Trouble is they crushed it. At least this will get you back to the top.

That is why I don't toss anything...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
tranz am

ok. First off you can use the 6 cyl motor perch brackets, but it will sit a little funny in there, I think it puts the motor higher in the engine bay. I think it will slant your motor back more than normal. Second the v8 perches sit forward more than the 6 cyl ones (Correct me if Im wrong). I have seen engines so close to the firewall that you could not remove the distributor.
Im afraid that you might have to have a driveline made to do it right. If so do yourself a favor and get a 1 piece done up. Have them use a thicker gauge tube.

Wilson's truck was like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
So I started my engine swap about 8 years ago and I'm almost done but need some help with the engine towers. the truck is a 68 2wd c20 gmc that started life with a 305 v6, after it spun a bearing me and my dad swaped it for a 351 v6, then that one spun a bearing a few years later. so I decided to swap for a small block. well when I started the swap I was told to toss the towers because I would need the small block towers so I removed them and discarded them along the way. now that I have set the engine in and mounted up the bellhousing I found out that the motor sits back to far for the small block towers (I only have one but it is obvious that it won't work. so the last few days I have been looking around here for answers and as I understand it I need the towers that I originally had (v6) or I need the towers from a 4wd with a small block. So my question is what about I6 towers (230 or 250, not the 292)? I really would like to keep it mounted in the rear holes so I don't have to change drivelines and all the other stuff. so please let me know my options and if I'm on the right track. Thanks in advance
Justin

Best 1/4 mile time 12.1 @ 111 w/traction issues

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht

Last edited by tranz am; 06-15-2009 at 10:21 AM.
tranz am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranz am View Post
ok. First off you can use the 6 cyl motor perch brackets, but it will sit a little funny in there, I think it puts the motor higher in the engine bay. I think it will slant your motor back more than normal. Second the v8 perches sit forward more than the 6 cyl ones (Correct me if Im wrong). I have seen engines so close to the firewall that you could not remove the distributor.
Im afraid that you might have to have a driveline made to do it right. If so do yourself a favor and get a 1 piece done up. Have them use a thicker gauge tube.

Wilson's truck was like this.
Thanks for the reply. I found a few other posts that suggest that they will work....yeah the distributor is pretty close to the firewall. I would like to make it work like this because my plan is to have this as a temporary setup. I would like to get it on the road to enjoy it alittle before I start with my other plans for it. I plan on swapping in 5 or 6 speed and doing a lwb to swb conversion eventually so I know I will have to have a driveline made then. I just want to play with it a little first.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
tranz am

yea wait till you get the 5 or 6 speed u want. Im running a t5 in mine if you have any questions you need answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
Thanks for the reply. I found a few other posts that suggest that they will work....yeah the distributor is pretty close to the firewall. I would like to make it work like this because my plan is to have this as a temporary setup. I would like to get it on the road to enjoy it alittle before I start with my other plans for it. I plan on swapping in 5 or 6 speed and doing a lwb to swb conversion eventually so I know I will have to have a driveline made then. I just want to play with it a little first.

Best 1/4 mile time 12.1 @ 111 w/traction issues

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht
tranz am is offline   Reply With Quote