The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
lovechevytrucks2

Frame question

I hope this question is not as stupid as it sounds.I am sure someone else has run across this situation.My frame has a 76 camaro ft clip .Now that the winter is over i am about to put the body back on for fitting before doing more body work .HERE is the question. I realize now that the difference in the frame is going to make it tough to re install the radiator support in the proper location is going to be a problem .Threfore lining up the front fenders, hood.Houstin we have a problem. Someon help.What have other guys done when putting in a ft clip TONY
lovechevytrucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: Frame question

Are you driving a bus or a wris****ch? We need details!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wrist watch is a banned word? Haha
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
broey
Square

hey tony, I hope you measured all the different gaps and spacing you need before cutting, otherwise, you will need a lot of patients and a good measure tool. but basically, you are going to have to fab up all the mounts for your fenders and front end, same goes for the rad. Im not sure I have ever seen anyone use a camaro front end on a square so I would say there isnt a standard swap sheet for what you are doing.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
lovechevytrucks2

Sory for the lack of information I realize i may have put the question in the wrong forum .Thats not to say you guys dont have the ansswear .My project is a 59 fleetside .I have replaced a section of frame with the front clip of a 76 camaro.The clip was done propery. Refiting the front sheet metal to this frame is going to be a problem that i think others have had .Any info would help Never did a classic truck before. TONY
Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Tony- I moved your post to the 47-59 forum. Lets see if you get a better response here.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
lovechevytrucks2

Thank you. Tony
Old 04-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
OrrieG

Like Tony said, every truck will be different. Take a look at the build threads here for different ways to mount the radiator support. Most guys use the piece of the stock frame with the rad support and weld it to the new clip. If you don't have them you will need measurements from a point on the existing frame like the front cab mount rivet to the center line of the rad support. When you install it make sure to check the diagonals to allow for any inconsistency in the clip install. I would use to sets of diagonal measurements from the existing frame to make sure the rad support is square and centered on the original frame.Compare this to your front wheel center lines, if there is a big discrepancy then the clip was installed out of square.

Get the cab centered side to side and level with the frame rails. Ideally you would also have the bed on to make sure it is level and the horizontal lines body lines match, this will make sure you do not have to go back and redoe the process if you find the bed has to be shimmed too much up or down on one end. Install the radiator support with the hood latch shroud and mechanism. Install the hood and get it matched to the cab and rad support. Install your doors on the cab to get the top, bed side and bottom gaps right. Now you can install the fenders to get the hood and front door gaps right.

Once you have everything right drill 1/8" holes in the hood hinge to the firewall and hood to use a assembly guide points. Take carefull notes and sketches on where and how many shims you had to use, I bag each set of shims separately to keep from mixing them up. paint and reassemble!
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Coupeguy2001

what I would do is put the cab on the frame, then mount a fender on the left side, on the cab top and bottom two bolts. Then mount the other side. add the doors, and line up the gaps.
Then get yourself some 1" angle, and tie the two fenders together with that angle, slitting the ends and bending them 90 degrees to make a brace, drill the holes for top and bottom. then use a bottle jack to relieve the strain on the fenders from hanging on the cab. then fabricate an X from steel rod or aluminum rod to keep the fenders from moving around. add the radiator core support
Then use cardboard from a cardboard box as a template material to make your steel front fender's radiator core support brackets from.
Once you get the fenders rigid enough to move the new mounts in and out, your only problem is cutting and welding.
Be sure to make the mounts neat and simple, sometimes just a plate welded to an angle with nice welds is all that's needed.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
mr48chev

I'd have to agree with the go check out the build threads for ideas concept.

It can be approached from a number of directions but I think Orrie has the right idea with fitting up the fenders and then figuring out how to get the core support to work.

The big problem is that the steering box/linkage is right in the big middle of where you need to work.

Here: since Lux Blue on the HAMB did this thread it has become the go to source for info on subframes on GM Task Force trucks. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978
Go to page four and start at post 71 Then go out and look at your truck and see if things come close to matching to do it that way. It should give you some good ideas anyhow.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
lovechevytrucks2

Thanks for that thread Mr 48 Chev.That is just what i needed ,thats duable. Tony