The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
abyssinian

51 Chevy Truck

I have been offered this truck as trade for one I am selling. I don't know anything about the values and/or ease of selling these older ones like this. At the moment all I know is that it has a 350, Turbo 350, new wheels and tires, and is otherwise pretty stock.

If anybody can offer their opinions of what this truck could actually sell for without sitting on it too long, I would appreciate it greatly. Also, what I could/should I look for when/if I see it in person. Thank you, Rob
Attached Images

'04 Lexus RX330

Pair of '08 Yamaha Raptor GYTR 700's (like new due to lack of time to ride)
abyssinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
abyssinian

Re: 51 Chevy Truck

I got a few more pictures....
Attached Images

'04 Lexus RX330

Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
79 silverado
Account Suspended

I've always loved these, even if I haven't owned once since about 2003... That said, i still always look at them as well trying to talk myself into buying another.

Here's what I'll say about the market:

That could be a $5k to $10k truck, and its impossible to get any closer than that from what is shown here.

#1) it looks like paint is already peeling from the hood on the front near where one of the emblem attachment points was.

#2) these trucks LOVED to rot out on the lower side cowl behind the fender where it mounts. Many Many Many times these trucks are share tree projects that someone covers that in with filler rather than repair because the factory had leaded seams and they dont want to deal with it. Down the line, that goes bad and is not cheap to fix, and takes a ton from the price. If there is signs of it on this one you're dropping to the lower end of price.

#3) The 350/th350 is a concern. Many of the trucks so converted are half-arsed shade tree done and not the highest quality. Also, was the rear updated or is it the original with ultra high gearing still meant for work? If not, get detailed written info as a buyer doesn't want to guess what parts are in the truck now at repair time

#4) connected to #3, was a subframe/front clip swap done? How well? was it a reputable frame shop? Is it measured and aligned properly before welding together?

If this truck was EXTREMELY well build, by professionals, with receipts, and documentation of everything done and what vehicles it was sourced from, i say closer to $10 given it is showing wear and tear on the body in the pics. this is also is all original gauges still work, etc etc.

If this truck is a share tree build, you're going to be looking at selling it as a rad rod project type, and may be lucky to pull $4k to $5k out, and be prepared to tell people what vehicles the updated parts came out of.
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Also, forgot to include, those hoods were not a one piece design from the factory. they had a seam down the middle covered by a molding strip. that has been filled somehow here, as well as emblem holes etc. Welded vs filler would be a concern of mine, especially since the old hood I still have of that age flexes some each time I pick it up to move it. if its filler, one it was driver or opened and closed a bunch it may crack unless its welded/reinforced....
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
abyssinian

Excellent information...Thank you!

My truck is priced at $7000 (72 K20) which I already feel is very low for what Iv'e got, but mine is in pieces so that is whats hurting me. Anyway, I am currently leaning away from this guys offer. If we weren't 2-3 hours apart from each other, I would be glad to at least see his 51 for consideration.
'04 Lexus RX330