The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
JadXtreme

tips for 55 3100 camaro clip swap?

I'm getting prepared to start my fabrication work to swap my 77 Camaro front clip into my 55 Chevy 3100. I'm wondering if anyone already has some measurements to make the cuts into the frame in order to get a good swap work for this truck.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I do want a lower stance with the truck, but I need room for the Olds 455 and sm465 I plan to put in.

Any tips/measurements/suggestions would be greatly appreciated from folks that have already done the swap.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Houston54

Re: tips for 55 3100 camaro clip swap?

Which 1955 body style are you working with? Advance Design or Task Force?

Either one has been the subject of multiple threads on this site. The camaro sub it recommended for one and is marginal for the other.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
JadXtreme

I'm not sure what you're talking about. All I know, is I bought a 77 Camaro, scrapped it out. Now I want to graft the 77 camaro clip into the front end of the 55 Chevy I have.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Red Foreman

Houston54 is actually asking what model 55 (early or late) as they are two totally differnent body shapes & therfore would make all the difference in in your clip job.
In other words does your truck look like my avatar or Houston54's ??
Red Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
JadXtreme

oh, it is a 2nd series
Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadXtreme View Post
oh, it is a 2nd series
I know there have been several threads on this exact issue in this forum and others, but what I did, and I suggest is to is to look into the no-limit video. They do things that some people disagree with for things like strength (some people believe the stronger way to graft is to wrap the whole subframe under the truck frame, No-limit splices the two and boxes in the joint for a cleaner look.
The video showed me every measurement, even where to measure to put the nose of the frame back in place for proper front sheetmetal/bumber mounting.

the video sells for less than $40 and I would have paid double that for the trouble it saved me. my build thread has some photos of my frame after the grafting, they look fantastic!

http://www.nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=D-101

that should be a link to the video i bought.

I am in no way affiliated with no limit engineering, however I am very satisfied with the video's information, and the 1980's mullet that the host has is great, if its still the same video!

This is how my 78 camaro sub looked on my '55 2nd series frame

Last edited by Maximus; 10-11-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
55metalmonkey

Which method do you plan to use? there is the no limit method where the sub is blended into the frame (as mentioned above) and there is also where you lap the whole subframe under the 55-57 frame (like I did). both have their advantages and disadvantages. there have been endless discsions on which is better/easier/lower/stronger/looks better, it depends on what you want in the end
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
JadXtreme

I want something really strong. I've actually thought about cutting the clip and frame into a L shape and joining them together by welding, then bolting a steel plate on both sides of the frame with grade 8 bolts. Then welding the plate all the way around with the bolts tack welded in. Then I want to fully box the frame in with additional cross bracing probably behind the cab. The Olds 455 I have I plan to build it up to around 400 hp and it'll probably have in the neighborhood of 550 lbs of torque and I don't want to take the chance of twisting the frame at all.

This is what I have in mind and I don't believe it would add more than 100-150 pounds to the weight of the truck. Is this overkill or am I on the right track here?

Last edited by JadXtreme; 10-11-2011 at 12:18 PM.
JadXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
55metalmonkey

Here is a fairly in depth discussion on the camaro clip swap,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485574

the vid is mine, as you can tell by the video I my be a little bias as to which way is better, I like that I got an additional couple extra inches of drop with off the shelf parts and the strength of the graft is obvious but the trade off is that it isn't blended into the frame like the other way.

Either way if it's done done right it will be more than strong enough for 400hp without boxing the frame.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
JadXtreme

55metalmonkey, I've seen one like yours before in the internet somewhere and that one looks really strong and simple. Plus I like the fact that it gives a little drop to go with it and you get to keep the clip's trans cross member. So you don't believe that boxing the frame is necessary with my application? When would boxing the frame prove to be benefitial?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadXtreme View Post
55metalmonkey, I've seen one like yours before in the internet somewhere and that one looks really strong and simple. Plus I like the fact that it gives a little drop to go with it and you get to keep the clip's trans cross member. So you don't believe that boxing the frame is necessary with my application? When would boxing the frame prove to be benefitial?
If the one you saw was silver like mine it may be the one Indian113 and his friend did, but there is quite a few done like this.
This is just my opinion, but I would box the frame if I was going over 500hp with a big block and doing some major work in the rear end ie 3 or 4 link or coil overs, moving x beams ect. the C channel frame is plenty strong for any engine running less than 500hp, these trucks were ment to be worked hard by farmers carrying heavy loads on pothole filled dirt roadsafterall. GM and others are still using the C profile frame in modern trucks so it's a time tested idea. I don't think too many people who are running fairly big hp have much of a problem with flex and twist.

Boxing the frame definately looks very cool and beefy but if your not doing ultra high end custom show truck or 1/4 mile camaro killer I personally don't see much benefit for all the work involved. I see the time it takes better being spent on rust repair/ body and interior work.
Again this is just my opinion, others on here may have a differing take on it.