The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
AirSpeed

New engine, not so wonderful!

Got my new 35o from summit Tuesday, loaded in the back of my truck to unloade it in my basement where I was going to install it, my house is cut into a hill so it was and incredible challenge to get it in but I did it, pulled the old engine, uncreated the new engine and notices the valve cove was tweaked, the crate was perfect but the valve cover looked like a banana. Decided to pull the valve cover to check the rockers and found a broken exhaust valve. Called Summit, they're sending me a new engine next week but now I have no way to get the engine in front of my truck, you'd have to see the situation to appreciate it! There simply isn't a way of getting my truck out with out and engine in it. Before I noticed the broken valve I pulled the heads on the old engine to see if the block was cracked, it looks like it is, I have to reassemble my old engine, put it back in my truck, and get it out of my basement so I can pull the new bad engine out and load it in my truck so I can take it to exchange for a new engine then precariously get my truck back in my basement so I can do it all over again! You can't imagine the long string of absolute FOUL language that came out of my face when I realized all this! I am EXTRAORDINARILY LIVID! The crate was perfect, who ever slammed the valve cover hard enough to break a valve had to know they caused some damage but they crated it up anyway and let it get shipped!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
Turbo1dr

Re: New engine, not so wonderful!

I've learned to never, ever, remove old parts until I get the new ones to see if they are either correct or damaged.
1988 LeSabre T-Type - Supercharged
Turbo1dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
68shortwide

Grumpy you sure love your emoji's lol and damn dude that sucks. I'd offer my help but I'm 2 time zones over lol I hope you get this sorted out. Make sure to take and post pics of the purty new power plant.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
trac209

Jeeze that's not what you want to see after all that work. Is summit going to give you some kind of compensation for the extra hassle?
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

Seems someone didn't like them as much as I do as the are gone ? Wow I'm getting censored as fast as I post
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Fldawg

This is why i do not use crate engines, build my own and i know what's in them , no suprises
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
yuccales

That's a bummer! Any way you could somehow tow your truck out of the basement, then move your new/bad engine out of there? Hope you get it all worked out.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
AirSpeed

Yea, it sucks. Summit said "we'll talk after you get the new engine" as far as compensation. I doubt they do anything. The part that angers me the most is it's obvious it was damaged before it got crated up, it shouldn't have got out the door. I now wish I had taken my old engine the 80 miles to the closest shop but I had no idea if the block was any good. I needed the engine right away since this is my daily driver. I just have to figure out a way to get my truck out of the way to get the new engine in front of it, might just cut a new door in my wall but I still would have to get it down to the street down a steep hill. It's just a mess! All is not lost I guess, now I have a week to clean up my engine compartment.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
That's a bummer! Any way you could somehow tow your truck out of the basement, then move your new/bad engine out of there? Hope you get it all worked out.
I wish, you'd really have to see my yard to understand, in front of my door is a small lawn, about 10 wide to a retaining wall six feet down, I had to do a 369 point turn to get it in there. I don't know how I could maneuver it that much with out an engine. I have a friends with an excavator, has a really long boom, if i can get him to set my new engine behind my truck I may be able to jack the truck up high enough to slide the engine under, maybe! I really want to beat up the guy who crated that engine! He deserves to feel my grief! I'm thinking I deserve at least a new intake! Summit was very apologetic though, the girl I spoke to even googled a day view of my property to get an idea of my plight!
Another crap part is I'm starting a new bussiness with my stepfather and I'm supposed to run several products on my cnc to show our client, supposed to have them done by Monday, to get my truck in my shop meant moving all my machines in the corner, in front of my CNC. I can't even reach the keyboard! I can't move all my machines because my truck and two 350's are in the way! It may cost me more than an engine at this point! I'm going to have to pay someone to run parts for me!
Okay, enough complaining! Just needed to vent! Lesson learned, take crate off of engine before accepting delivery!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #10
A.Bursell

Maybe look into some of those car Dolly's that you can use to spin a car around and maneuver in tight spots?
A.Bursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #11
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bursell View Post
Maybe look into some of those car Dolly's that you can use to spin a car around and maneuver in tight spots?
Wish that would work but I have only 10" of space on either side of my truck and about six feet in front.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #12
jeffahart

Get the dollies like said and winch the truck out of there. You've no choice. Pull everything out of the work space and let it in there backwards next time and you can roll the engine right up to it. Or get 5 guys and push it out of there. Just get it out of there; and you will be feeling a whole lot better.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:22 AM   #13
In The Ten Ring

You're free to vent man and we'll all support you but the fact is, many of us have our share of "shop problems." Just take your time, think your plan through (very well), and get the job done. WHATEVER IT TAKES.

Show us pics of your basement if you like.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:15 AM   #14
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Got my new 35o from summit Tuesday, loaded in the back of my truck to unloade it in my basement where I was going to install it, my house is cut into a hill so it was and incredible challenge to get it in but I did it, pulled the old engine, uncreated the new engine and notices the valve cove was tweaked, the crate was perfect but the valve cover looked like a banana. Decided to pull the valve cover to check the rockers and found a broken exhaust valve. Called Summit, they're sending me a new engine next week but now I have no way to get the engine in front of my truck, you'd have to see the situation to appreciate it! There simply isn't a way of getting my truck out with out and engine in it. Before I noticed the broken valve I pulled the heads on the old engine to see if the block was cracked, it looks like it is, I have to reassemble my old engine, put it back in my truck, and get it out of my basement so I can pull the new bad engine out and load it in my truck so I can take it to exchange for a new engine then precariously get my truck back in my basement so I can do it all over again! You can't imagine the long string of absolute FOUL language that came out of my face when I realized all this! I am EXTRAORDINARILY LIVID! The crate was perfect, who ever slammed the valve cover hard enough to break a valve had to know they caused some damage but they crated it up anyway and let it get shipped!
Take this chance to demand a full refund and get the Jeg's deal.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #15
jjzepplin

Bring over a few buddies and have a couple beers and someone will come up with a brilliant idea. Happens every time. Be sure to post your genius.
Or- you could show the thousands of us your situation and let us help you!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Wrenchbender Ret

What brand of engine is it. Summit handles several brands of "crate" engines.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #17
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
What brand of engine is it. Summit handles several brands of "crate" engines.
All the labels say GM, I'm assuming it's from GM, most likely via Mexico!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Bring over a few buddies and have a couple beers and someone will come up with a brilliant idea. Happens every time. Be sure to post your genius.
Or- you could show the thousands of us your situation and let us help you!
I think we got it solved, involves a new 6000 lbs front mounted winch, a sled, 12 beers, lots of cable and a cheeseburger. And more beer.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Take this chance to demand a full refund and get the Jeg's deal.
Only one problem, I have to give them the engine before they would refund, can't get the engine to the street until I get my engine in.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #20
AirSpeed

Been cleaning and painting all the mounts, brackets, pulleys. Just got done stripping 4 layers of paint of the intake with paint remover, it came out clean, I think I'll paint it black. The center port in the intake (for the lack of knowing what it's actually called) was nearly plugged with carbon, took a chisel and some heavy wire to clear it out. Been cleaning the quadrajet too. Tomorrow I'm going to clean up the wiring under the hood then clean the engine bay and paint it. I guess it's almost a blessing since I couldn't have done all this if I had just thrown the new engine in. Going to use my chrome valve covers and air cleaner since they cleaned up so nicely. Might even get a chrome timing cover. Makin lemonade.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #21
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Get some trqula and limes and turn that lemonade into Margaritas!!!
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #22
Lee H

Hang in there, it all works out. The factory crates these engines, not Summit. Summit would not have accepted it into inventory it if had a damaged crate. Summit got it that way from the distributor and will make it right.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #23
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Hang in there, it all works out. The factory crates these engines, not Summit. Summit would not have accepted it into inventory it if had a damaged crate. Summit got it that way from the distributor and will make it right.
Yea, they sent me a new engine, be here in a couple days. They're even letting me hold on the the damaged one until I get the new engine in my truck. At first they wanted me to take it to a GM dealer for repair, there is just no way to get it out of my shop so they sent a new one.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #24
BlackedOut67shorty

Well thats good that there letting you hold onto the old engine till the new one arrives. Ive had the same hassels with smaller parts such as wheel cylinders that were off by a year, not i triple check everything like a madman. I hope this engine wont give you anymore issues.
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #25
AirSpeed

Finally got an electric fan!

Actually I just degreased the engine compartment and trying to dry it so I can sand and paint. I was surprised how little oil and dirt was in there, I was prepared to use a putty knife to scrape it off but some simple green and a scotchbrite pad was all I needed