The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
jrblanke

My 1984 Silverado failed NC inspection today for missing an O2 sensor.

I am trying to get my Silverado back on the road. Before purchasing it last month, it had been not been inspected in NC for the previous 5 years (sitting unregistered).

Today it failed inspection for a few minor things (missing gas cap, exhaust leak, etc). One of the items that was on the list was that it was missing the oxygen sensor. My truck is carbureted now just as it was when it was new. The only difference from stock is that it has a goodwrench 5.7L instead of the factory 5.0L. It has a catalytic converter and all smog equipment.

Should I just tell the inspection place that my truck never had an oxygen sensor? Maybe it did? I thought O2 sensors were only for fuel injected cars (therefore starting in 1987 for Chevy trucks).

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks,

James
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Dieselholic92

Re: My 1984 Silverado failed NC inspection today for missing an O2 sensor.

It shouldn't have had O2 sensors since it's carburetor
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
snm95ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselholic92 View Post
It shouldn't have had O2 sensors since it's carburetor
Agreed. I don't think the CCC (computer controlled carb) crap ever made it to the trucks.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
AntiGov

not sure on the sensor.....but only 4% of vehicles dont pass...thats 96% that do pass, 96% is almost 100%.......our government wastes billions of our dollars on 4%....4% has no effect on any thing ! maybee buy an old exempt square and switch plates....
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
86454k30

Trucks did not have O2 sensors until 87 when they got fuel injection. I would tell the test station it never had one. I would hope if they are passing/failing on visual inspections they would/should know what they are looking at/for.

And 1/2 ton trucks, suburban and K5 did have computer controlled carburetors from 81ish to 86.
86454k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
snm95ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86454k30 View Post
Trucks did not have O2 sensors until 87 when they got fuel injection. I would tell the test station it never had one. I would hope if they are passing/failing on visual inspections they would/should know what they are looking at/for.

And 1/2 ton trucks, suburban and K5 did have computer controlled carburetors from 81ish to 86.
I just saw a pic of one in another thread.

Decided to look it up on Alldata, and in 84 it does show an oxygen sensor for the 350-L engine as well as the 305-H engine.

Heh, learn something new I guess unless the diagrams are wrong.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
jhngardner367

Look at the emissions sticker.If it says CCC system,it came with an 02 sensor,and it will have a knock sensor in the side of the block,and an ECS(electronic spark control)module on the firewall or engine,near the heater housing. USUALLY,if it had an A.I.R. system,and a heat-riser,it WON'T have an o2 sensor.NOTE: If there's an ALDL(Assembly Line Data Link)under the dash,it came with an o2 sensor.
I can't fix what ain't broke....you want I should break it?
jhngardner367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
Littletony

Your truck should only need a safety inspection. Any thing older then 15 years does not need a emission inspection in the state of NC. But the truck will still have to retain all factory emission equipment that was installed. Fix the missing gas cap and exhaust leak. Then I would find another inspection station.
Posted via Mobile Device

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" ..............Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Littletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
jrblanke

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll check the emissions sticker when I get home this morning. My truck has the high altitude emissions package (not sure if that means anything). Not sure what A.I.R system is, but I do believe it has a heat riser. As far as the 305-H engine goes, I believe there is a 305-F too? I am not sure of the difference.

Where would the O2 Sensor be mounted? It's in the exhaust pipe right below the manifold, is that correct? If there was one I should be able to find a plug or wire hanging somewhere.

Again, thanks for the help.

James
Old 03-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #10
andrewmp6

If it has one it should be in the exhaust looks like a spark plug with wires on it close to engine.A carb engine can have o2s i had a 84 f150 that was carbed that had a o2 on it as funny as it sounds it can be true tho.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
Number21

Sounds like you need a 73/74 cab.

You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill,
and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
jrblanke

Here are some pictures I took today. Like everyone says, I think my truck did have an O2 sensor originally.

Does anyone know where it was originially located (drivers side or passenger side exhaust pipe) so I can find where the original wire is on the engine harness. According to a wiring diagram I have, I am looking for a purple wire. I think the ground wire is a tan color.

Passenger side

Driver side

Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
silvereagle07

I can't read the emissions label. You said it was a High alt. emmissions label right. What does it say beside the Ign. timing degree BTDC @rpm? 4@600? The only 5.0 or 5.7 that had an o2 sensor was California emmisions vehicles. That label would say ign. timing 8@500 btdc and you would also have a MIL light on the dash. Oh btw I am reading that straight from the NCDMV testing manual and I am a NC liscensed inspector. I think they may have misread the label. Hope this helps.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT

Last edited by silvereagle07; 03-01-2012 at 07:29 PM.
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
'79squared

You could always move to washington state where the inspection stops when your rig turns 25. IN THE CLEAR
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
jrblanke

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle07 View Post
I can't read the emissions label. You said it was a High alt. emmissions label right. What does it say beside the Ign. timing degree BTDC @rpm? 4@600? The only 5.0 or 5.7 that had an o2 sensor was California emmisions vehicles. That label would say ign. timing 8@500 btdc and you would also have a MIL light on the dash. Oh btw I am reading that straight from the NCDMV testing manual and I am a NC liscensed inspector. I think they may have misread the label. Hope this helps.

Wow, and NC inspector on the forum! Thank you very much for your response!

I have uploaded another picture of the sticker so you can see. The timing degree at BTDC is 4@600. I will be putting on a new exhaust system this weekend, and I have several other parts on order. Like you said, ill just explain to them that the truck was never equipt with an O2 sensor.

So the fact that the truck has a replacement engine (was 5.0, replacement is 5.7) should not matter correct?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
beamn7

CA emission'd feedback carbs had one 02 sensor in one manifold (essentially measuring only one side of the engine). My 85 was originally a 305F (350 now) truck and has the o2 in the pass. side manifold, feedback / ecm carb (2 stage accelerator pump,TPS and Mixture control solenoid), A.I.R., E.F.E, distributor with NO vaccum advance or centrifigul (solely controlled by ecm) and NO E.S.C. module or knock sensor (which I always found strange but hey, it's CA).... So yes, Carbureted engines did exist with 02 sensors but mostly out here in the land of fruits and nuts (I can say that, I'm from Boston originally LOL). Yours most likely is not equipped with one and I agree with the others, take it to another shop....
Had a smog shop tell one of our vehicle owners (I'm a OEM field service rep) the other day that his 22,000lb GVW vehicle is supposed to have 4 o2 sensors. Sorry, wrong answer, heavy duty emissions does not require post catalyst o2's. Had to call the shop and explain as did the Bureau of Automotive Repair....

Not uncommon for a shop to make a mistake and fail a vehicle for a reason that it should not have been failed....
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
silvereagle07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrblanke View Post
Wow, and NC inspector on the forum! Thank you very much for your response!

I have uploaded another picture of the sticker so you can see. The timing degree at BTDC is 4@600. I will be putting on a new exhaust system this weekend, and I have several other parts on order. Like you said, ill just explain to them that the truck was never equipt with an O2 sensor.

So the fact that the truck has a replacement engine (was 5.0, replacement is 5.7) should not matter correct?

I was looking at the 2010 MOTOR Emissions Control Applications Manual that I had in my bay. They are generally all the same. By your Emmissions sticker you have a High altitude Vehicle as indicated by a circled 7 and 9 at the engine size in the manual. Page 64-13. The fact that you swapped engines does not matter as long as you have all the original emissions equipment installed. You truck requires a thermostatic air cleaner, pcv system, air injection pump, egr system , evap canister, cat, spk control and fuel fillpipe restrictor. Good luck, glad I could help.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #18
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

My factory manual has wiring for O2 sensors as far as '83. Cali models had them. Not sure about others.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #19
jhngardner367

My '85 is a factory-stock 5.0,other than the carb being changed,and it didn't come with an02,or even a cat.I just got the parts to swap it to a dual exhaust,and I don't even worry about air-pumps,and egr valves.
I can't fix what ain't broke....you want I should break it?
jhngardner367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #20
Stepper86

My 86 has the Co2 sensor, itīs located in the driver side manifold, pointing straight towards the cab. Here is a picture of the mainfold, red arrow shows were it sits. My truck is Californis emissons equiped and all stock, except for dual exhaust pipes.
Attached Images

1986 C-10 Stepside (project "my time")
1992 Corvette cab (summer time daily driver)
1969 Cadilac DeVille Cab ("it just need some paint")
Stepper86 is offline   Reply With Quote