The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Regraves77

Cab Corner Speaker Plates

I am trying to get in touch with someone that make sor has the cab corner speaker plates that bolts in place in the cab corner of the truck for the 6x9 or 6" speaker application.

Thanks,
Eric
Regraves77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Cab Corner Speaker Plates

The only ones I know about arent made for our trucks (yet) but still hoping: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=476976
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Blue666(2)

You can make a simple set using a 12" by 18" piece of steel.

I bent up this 1st try awhile back. I plan to make another a bit longer so I can trim to fit closely where the rear window shell meets the door frame.

Be sure to install your shoulder strap plates first.

Could be welded or glued in place.
Attached Images

Blue666(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #4
Lunnb

Following
Lunnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
Blue666(2)

As I described above, making of a speaker plate for the corner of a 64-66 truck should not be difficult. I'll attach pictures as I go along.

I spent about 2 hours making this one but it includes distractions with neighbors & other tasks. It could still use some trimming to be called finished.

This post will show you how I made this part. I'm an environmental manager with no real body work skills. I am still teaching myself to weld as I move through the rebuild of my truck. I mostly just figure it out by watching the sucess & failure of things I learn on these pages.

This post will not show you how to make a silk purse out of sows ear or pretend to make a bolt in part that will win you a trophy at the next car show. If you need that kind of stuff, look elsewhere. Get a tetnus shot, this could get ugly.

This is the basic shape. Just two equal angles so that we can lay a speaker over at 45 degrees out from the rear wall of the cab. It starts with a 18" by 12" piece of 18 guage sheet metal.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #6
Blue666(2)

I cut two darts on the left side (this will be the bottom edge) so that I can fold over this edge and get rid of a sharp edge. I used a HF metal break to make my bends. The bends can also be made with angle iron or across a table edge.

Lay out your speaker position. I tried to maintain 1 inch from the bottom and each side because my speaker cover is 7" wide by 10" long. The speaker cover size reduces the edge spacing.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
Blue666(2)

After you get the speaker in the flat sheet, you can remove it for a few minutes & make your bends. The mounting surfaces should be parralell and the speaker surface shoud lay over at 45 deg from the rear cab wall.

After the bends, place the panel in position and begin trimming with sheet metal cutters. Work slow, take off small pieces. You will need to trim around the door latch area also. A quick clamp helps hold the panel in place whil you mark the areas to trim.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #8
Blue666(2)

When you get the fit to meet your standards, you're done. I did not cut this panel for the speaker as I plan to use 6" round speakers and I still have some work to do in my cab corners.

If you have the skills, I'm sure you can do better than I. The fit is completely adjustable limited only by your skills & desire get it to fit closely.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
The only ones I know about arent made for our trucks (yet) but still hoping: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=476976
Awesome some great work there thanks
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote