The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
HoupPhotography

What do ya' think........ (Photos inside)

I took these photos a few weeks ago, I really like the truck (from the front) but the late model bed is really killing me.

Is my taste way off base thinking this looks terrible, what do you guys think? Be honest and post up, you won't hurt my feelings, it's not mine

EDIT: Why does the motor look so low, is that a typical mounting location for that year?

Last edited by HoupPhotography; 06-11-2008 at 04:31 AM.
HoupPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: What do ya' think........ (Photos inside)

Hate the bed.

Do you ever sleep?

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Hate the bed.

Do you ever sleep?

Sometimes I do, What I don't get now I'll get when I'm down for good I should be tired, I was out working on the wife's new hot rod all day in the 150 f'n degree heat.

Hey, what about you, do you sleep?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
Sometimes I do, What I don't get now I'll get when I'm down for good I should be tired, I was out working on the wife's new hot rod all day in the 150 f'n degree heat.

Hey, what about you, do you sleep?
Ahhhhhh. Messin' with the 'vette.

I used to live there, so I know about the heat.
It was dang near unbearable up here today. It got into the 90's.

I'm not sure how to describe it.
Work has been virtually nonexistent for me since Apr. I drive double bottom dumps.
I worked 3 days at the beginning of Apr., and 3 days at the end of Apr., plus one day in May. Nothing so far this month.
Fortunately, I collect a small retirement from Chevron; so even though I'm not working, I still have a small income.
All I have to do is follow Ben Franklin's advice, "Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of them selves."

Having said all that, what it boils down to is, when I'm not working, the alarm clock goes out the window.
I go to bed when I'm tired, wake up when I'm rested, and eat when I'm hungry.
And it really ain't bad.
I'm dreading my dispatcher calling me.

El Jay

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Ahhhhhh. Messin' with the 'vette.

I used to live there, so I know about the heat.
It was dang near unbearable up here today. It got into the 90's.

I'm not sure how to describe it.
Work has been virtually nonexistent for me since Apr. I drive double bottom dumps.
I worked 3 days at the beginning of Apr., and 3 days at the end of Apr., plus one day in May. Nothing so far this month.
Fortunately, I collect a small retirement from Chevron; so even though I'm not working, I still have a small income.
All I have to do is follow Ben Franklin's advice, "Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of them selves."

Having said all that, what it boils down to is, when I'm not working, the alarm clock goes out the window.
I go to bed when I'm tired, wake up when I'm rested, and eat when I'm hungry.
And it really ain't bad.
I'm dreading my dispatcher calling me.

El Jay
Yeah, It's amazing what new plugs and wires will do! The #5 & #7 plugs were left in after the last tune up (Iguess they couldn't get to 'em) and the wires were cut, ripped, frayed, torn and one was even taped
I also had to fix the ps resevoir, it has a metal strap that wraps around the plastic resevoir, but hte way the strap is shaped it wears a hole in the plastic. So I fixed that too and of course had to go see how it ran

That's a bummer about work, my borther hauls rice in TX and has the same problems when rice is out of season, but if he leaves to haul something else he could have different issue's with loads. It took me some getting use to not having an alarm clock and not going into the office 6 days a week. I brokered for 18 years and seemed to always work, I even took my laptop and worked on our honeymoon, the wife didn't like it but it was worth it in the long run and I was able to retire at 36 then started the photography business. It took some getting use to, but now that I am I love working on my time and making my own schedule to do what I want and when I want, the biggest thing is beaing able to raise\stay home with our little guy. He loves being outside with me when I'm working on my junk or the wife's car, if only I could gethim to use the tools for their purpose instead of digging with them, that would be cool.

The funny thing is, I use to tell my wife all the time that sleep was unproductive and now I get to take naps..

Last edited by HoupPhotography; 06-11-2008 at 06:02 AM.
HoupPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

those beds only look good on the trucks they came with. This actually looks worse than when they are on our trucks.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
those beds only look good on the trucks they came with. This actually looks worse than when they are on our trucks.
This one remided me of the red one someone saw and took a photo of it, your right though, it does look worse!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
GKsport67

Cool Re: What do ya' think........ (Photos inside)

Yeah,the bed is horrible!! ....nice color though!
GKsport67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
Yeah, It's amazing what new plugs and wires will do! The #5 & #7 plugs were left in after the last tune up (Iguess they couldn't get to 'em) and the wires were cut, ripped, frayed, torn and one was even taped
I also had to fix the ps resevoir, it has a metal strap that wraps around the plastic resevoir, but hte way the strap is shaped it wears a hole in the plastic. So I fixed that too and of course had to go see how it ran

That's a bummer about work, my borther hauls rice in TX and has the same problems when rice is out of season, but if he leaves to haul something else he could have different issue's with loads. It took me some getting use to not having an alarm clock and not going into the office 6 days a week. I brokered for 18 years and seemed to always work, I even took my laptop and worked on our honeymoon, the wife didn't like it but it was worth it in the long run and I was able to retire at 36 then started the photography business. It took some getting use to, but now that I am I love working on my time and making my own schedule to do what I want and when I want, the biggest thing is beaing able to raisestay home with our little guy. He loves being outside with me when I'm working on my junk or the wife's car, if only I could gethim to use the tools for their purpose instead of digging with them, that would be cool.

The funny thing is, I use to tell my wife all the time that sleep was unproductive and now I get to take naps..
I don't worry about work.

I finally learned, after many years, "If ya cain't control it, don't worry about it."
So I don't. I just make adjustments to my lifestyle.
As long as I got food in my belly, beer in the fridge, and a halfway decent bottle of bourbon on the counter, I'm in good shape.

I understand the kid thing. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I was working on my old V-8 Vega, my son was just prowling around the front yard, digging up sh..........ahhh, stuff, and all of a sudden he said, "Hey, I struck ants!"
He may have been 3 yrs. old at the time. He's now on the "bad" side of 30.

Through this site, I've seen some of your work.
I'm not trying to kiss your @$$, but I've been impressed.

So, may I ask a question, or two?

I'm not a photographer. I take snapshots.
For example, I've blown through 2, or more, rolls of film trying to get decent pictures of my son and my cousin knee boarding behind my old '63 Hallet flat bottom.
Two of them the were "poster" quality, and they both loved them, when I got the posters made.

My old, used, Canon, of 30, or so years, has finally taken the big dump.

Everybody I know seems to say to get away from 35mm film SLR and go digital.

So, I've been leaning towards the Nikon D 40 dSLR kit.

Any opinions?

If you are uncomfortable answering, I understand & really won't worry about it.

Thanks.

Larry

Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
Gray Ghost

Hate the bed....don't like them on ANY older truck...looks dumb.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

In my opinion, if you're going to build a truck right, then build it right. I hate the newer style beds on early classic Chevy's/GMC's.

As said before, just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

GM has built the best looking trucks since day 1 (until recently).I like`em the way they were made.If I did,I`d be into something else.That is,if there was something as well built,reliable,easy to work on,get parts for,cheap to run.Guess I`d take an old Studebaker. (seriously)

To me,these bed swaps scream "easy" or "cheap" way out.It`s no different to me than when guys were doing wood flatbeds before replacement bed parts were available.I`d rather see a nice oak flatbed than a`90s bed ob a`50s truck.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-11-2008 at 07:32 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #13
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Hate it!
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #14
Shyguy

I sure don't like the looks of the newer beds on the older trucks. Now, I think a well built flatbed looks ok.

Since the only bed I have for the '67 project I am going to start later this summer is a bed off of a '96 I am thinking about building a flatbed, but I would like to find a short stepper for it.

Talking about work, I told the wife today I can't even think about going back to work until the price of gasoline goes down. Good thing I have a small retirement and my wife works. Since I live on a small farm I have plenty to keep me busy.

I saw this truck at the Oran car show last weekend. It is not a Chevy or GMC, but it looks pretty good. My brother who has had nothing but Chevy trucks wants to find one of these to restore.

Danny
Attached Images

Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
murdoc

ah the old studebakers.......i love them, they are actually the trucks that started me liking old trucks to begin with, i would have kept with them, but they are so hard to find anymore.

i hate new beds on old trucks by the way, never look right cause they were never ment to
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
Sinisterspeed

Well this is exactly why everyone trucks look different. I probably wouldn't like this hobby if my final result was going to look like everyone else's. This be would have had a much better look if he would have taken the time to fix the bottom of the bed where it meets the cab. I have seen this done and actually debated doing it to my 57 since I am more of a fleetside guy anyway I thought this would be a good compromise. Since actually obtaining a 55-57 truck and looking through what seems like 1000's of them on the internet cataloging ideas for when the longhorn is done, I have decided I don't like it much myself but I have seen ones done that look like they were born on that truck and thus look great. As for the engine location yes thats where they sit. You can make them sit alittle higher if your building the motor mount stands just have to watch the tranny clearance since these trucks have no tranny hump they will always sit lower in the body then a truck that does.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
PipsC10

newer beds on older trucks are ugly, IMO. Just destroyed what would have been a nice truck.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #18
Bugsy_malonn

If someone takes the time to work on the bed to make it look right I think they could be ok but as is they dont work

Bugsy_malonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #19
original_balzer

Hmmmm its kinda like running out of milk and putting water in your fruit loops.
original_balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #20
caminokid
Chevy nut

Thats horrible! Where do these guys come up with the idea that it looks good? The bodys lines dont even match up at all!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #21
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
GM has built the best looking trucks since day 1 (until recently).I like`em the way they were made.If I did,I`d be into something else.That is,if there was something as well built,reliable,easy to work on,get parts for,cheap to run.Guess I`d take an old Studebaker. (seriously)

To me,these bed swaps scream "easy" or "cheap" way out.It`s no different to me than when guys were doing wood flatbeds before replacement bed parts were available.I`d rather see a nice oak flatbed than a`90s bed ob a`50s truck.
Tim I with you on the fact the newer truck look bad. Chevy has always built a nice looking truck. But since 88...I think they have went down hill.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
Kim57

Quote:
EDIT: Why does the motor look so low, is that a typical mounting location for that year?
Honestly the bed doesn't bother me that much. In the pics that are photoshopped it looks much better when it lines up with the cab bottom.
As far as the engine setting setting low it probably has a clip from a car in it.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #23
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Through this site, I've seen some of your work.
I'm not trying to kiss your @$$, but I've been impressed.

So, may I ask a question, or two?

I'm not a photographer. I take snapshots.
For example, I've blown through 2, or more, rolls of film trying to get decent pictures of my son and my cousin knee boarding behind my old '63 Hallet flat bottom.
Two of them the were "poster" quality, and they both loved them, when I got the posters made.

My old, used, Canon, of 30, or so years, has finally taken the big dump.

Everybody I know seems to say to get away from 35mm film SLR and go digital.

So, I've been leaning towards the Nikon D 40 dSLR kit.

Any opinions?

If you are uncomfortable answering, I understand & really won't worry about it.

Thanks.

Larry

I agree on getting away from film camera's, but it's really more of the photographers preference. The great thing about film camera's is you can blow up the image and not sacrifice image quality. The down side of that is;

A) the cost of printing all of the images you took to find "the one"
B) Not truly knowing if you have any decent images, lens flare or glare from an object that possibly washed out an image.

Digital is more expensive to get into, however, you have instant gratification and you do not need to print any of the images to view them (no printing cost) The down side of that is the storage space needed on your computer to store the images.

I have heard nothing negative about the D40, Nikon makes world class products and I think you will be more than satisfied with that kit. My "good" camera is a Nikon D2Xs that I use to shoot "big deal" events, most;y for magazines. I should use it more, but I have had bad luck dropping Nikon's this is number 3

I could go on and on but don't want to bore you and high-jack my own thread... If you can shoot poster quality images with a film camera, you will learn really fast with digital and love shooting with it.

I hope that covered it all, if you have any more questions, let me know brotha'!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #24
GRIMSS

Poor choice in beds. The chopped one is better but still not good.

Some guys run large blowers and still have plenty of room under those hoods.
1968 Camaro
1968 Volksrod "NOBACK"

55-59 one piece window Video
55-59 one piece window template files
Jared
GRIMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:19 AM   #25
MrSinister

Never liked the look of the newer beds on older trucks. Even when they go thru the trouble changing the step to line up with the cab and filling the upper bodyline it still looks tacked on.
MrSinister is offline   Reply With Quote